Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitness advice needed. What do you suggest? page

GunnerBBFC is offline Junior Member

Question Fitness advice needed. What do you suggest?

Primal Fuel
    I have noticed a larger and larger community asking about alternatives to working out in a gym. I understand one element of being primal is "lifting heavy things" which I'm all for, but I know many who want to work out primary muscle groups like back, chest, and legs using body weight or the environment around them.

So I pose the questions: What are some solid work outs for these three main muscle groups, Back, Chest, and Legs.

Second: What are good exercises that isolate or incorporate (I'd like to hear both), secondary muscle groups like arms (biceps, triceps, shoulders), abs/core, calves, traps, etc.

I am going to create a catalog from your answers and practice them to eventually share with others, so all input is much appreciated and encouraged ^^

Thanks guys

-Gunner

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    I recommend you look at the Primal Fitness ebook available on this site and Convict Conditioning. Both have exercises that hit them main groups, neither are that interested in isolation exercises. Both have good progressions.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Pull ups, dips, push up progressions and squats would do a fine job for your first question. On rings for all for added muscle recruitment. Adding some resistance via bands or weighted vest (or whatever) obviously increases the intensity. If one is devoid of all equipment then you'd try to progress to single-arm variations of all (if you can do a one arm dip, you're insanely strong...) Single leg squats are the most easily attainable, at least in my experience. I would suggest working on the "shrimp" as a fun single-leg squat that feels more challenging than the "pistol"

I don't have much for you for the second question, aside from that the primary motions above definitely incorporate those "secondary" muscle groups. You could mess around and do tricep extensions, ring curls, chest/back flies, etc but you don't absolutely have to.

With enough weight strapped on you, you won't need to do much outside of pull ups, dips and/or push-ups, and squats. Honestly. I enjoy doing other shit, but if I didn't or time was truly of the essence that's all I would feel like I HAD to do.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

FiveX is offline Member
    Howdy Gunner,
    I haven't been to a gym in several years. When i wake in the morning usually before daylight, I walk a 2 or 3 lap loop around a lake near where i live. It's 1.3 miles a loop, usually takes 17 to 20 minutes a lap. While I'm walking I have a 6 lb dumbbell in each hand. As i walk I constantly rotate them over my head, simulate riding my harley with them extended out in front of me, and do a bunch of, I don't know cheer leading stuff with them! I guess that's why I try to do it before daylight because I look crazy doing it. But I do this for 40 to 60 minutes every day (almost!). For an older dude (52) I have great muscle tone on arms, shoulders, and chest. Additionally every other day I do my total gym (remember chuck Norris/Christie Brinkley!?) chest and biceps, than squats in garage heavy twice a week!

I have eaten well for as long as I can remember, no sodas, rarely junk, some other carbs...however until 10 days ago I had a passion for Pacific Northwest microbrews. This wonderful all natural liquid kept me at 5'10" just over 200 lbs for...ever. 10 days ago I went totally Primal and now weigh 187 and my huggy beer handles are shrinking like crazy! No breads, beans, beer (sigh), but to me it's worth it. You don't need a gym Gunner, they are great for meeting people, watching people, and working out, but they can become a....chore, a task, a job?...You have everything at home, in the woods or hood! Use them, and don't drink too much beer! good luck, peace....5x

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    I recommend you look at the Primal Fitness ebook available on this site and Convict Conditioning. Both have exercises that hit them main groups, neither are that interested in isolation exercises. Both have good progressions.
    Yes this. There is no need for isolation exercises.

GunnerBBFC is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Yes this. There is no need for isolation exercises.
    First, thank you sincerely for the input already provided. I'll look into the ebook resource and look up those specific exercises you showed me.

The reason why I am asking for isloation exercises is to create a comprehensive map if you would, of the human body, designating which muscle groups are worked by which exercises. Certainly pull-ups, dips, and squats will work a large variety of these muscles, but I am sure there are variations of them tweeked to target secondary or neglected muscles. That is what I guess I am searching for. Any additional ideas would be greatly appreciated. I look at this like a brainstorm, so just throw out whatever comes to mind :P

-Gunner

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    That Coach Palfrey guy has a site and book on training with sandbags. There are good videos there on how to do various lifts with sandbags. Technically, that is equipment so if you were looking for cheap ways without having to get any equipment, that one sorta walks the line. I suppose you could use any old duffel bag, but they ones they show have extra handles all over them. And sand can be bought at the home improvement store or you could probably even use bags of manure or cat litter.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

beachbound is offline Junior Member
    Rosstraining is my go to source.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    OP: Do you by any chance have the room/means to get a power rack? A power rack with a pull-up bar, basic bench, and an Olympic weight set are about all you need for strength training.

mrhtower is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    OP: Do you by any chance have the room/means to get a power rack? A power rack with a pull-up bar, basic bench, and an Olympic weight set are about all you need for strength training.
    True that. Perhaps add dumbells and a dip attachment for your power rack- my future set up.

Don't think anyone's mentioned burpees (start in push-up position, push yourself off the ground into a squat stance and jump as high as you can. Let your leg muscles absorb your impact and drop back into push-up position and repeat. Optionally, raise your arms when jumping, trying to get your hands as far away from the ground as possible. These are at the top of simple, no equipment home work outs. Obviously, burpees hit your legs hard. They also work your entire upper body, your arms, core, glutes and other muscles that don't even have a name.
    They are an intense cardiovascular workout (not in the bad way, like Chronic Cardio), and they build strength. They get your good hormones going, and they're incredibly quick.

Put that weight vest on when you want to fall to a lower rep range and really build muscle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast