Thread: Bone Broth Questions page

Chorlton is offline Senior Member

Question Bone Broth Questions

Shop Now
    Hi everyone,

I've got 2 big grass fed cow bones here with marrow in. I have a couple of questions for those that know about this stuff...

• Should i roast the bones and get the marrrow out before i boil them for broth?
    • How long would you recommend boiling the bones to get the most out of them?
    • Any guidelines for how much of the bones to use per batch? They weigh about 750g each. I was thinking to get two batches of about 1.5litres each?

Thanks for your help!

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorlton View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've got 2 big grass fed cow bones here with marrow in. I have a couple of questions for those that know about this stuff...

• Should i roast the bones and get the marrrow out before i boil them for broth?
    • How long would you recommend boiling the bones to get the most out of them?
    • Any guidelines for how much of the bones to use per batch? They weigh about 750g each. I was thinking to get two batches of about 1.5litres each?

Thanks for your help!
    1. Yes, at 400 deg for 30 min. Then scoop out the marrow.
    2. Simmer, not boil, the bones for 1.5 - 3 days. A crock-pot works well. My husband insists it be in the garage.
    3. Use enough bones to cover the bottom of the pot.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 01-29-2013 at 05:25 PM.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Bone broth is way better when there's a big joint bone with some meat and cartilage still on it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Chorlton is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Cryptocode!

sbhikes they had pigs trotters which i nearly bought as well. perhaps i should add some of those next time!