Thread: Alternative to pole in pole-assisted squats page

Alternative to pole in pole-assisted squats

Primal Fuel
    I'm following Mark's Four Essential Movements Progressions, and I should be moving from wall squats to pole-assisted squats in the next week or two. The problem is, living in an apartment and not being a stripper, I don't have easy access to a pole. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could use instead?

To be clear, I'd rather not have to buy any new equipment for this, because I don't have room to store it. I'd also rather not have to leave the apartment, since I can do all the other exercises in my living room.

Thanks!
    Height: 5'7"
    SW: 178.0 (1/1/2013)
    CW: 163.2
    GW: I'll know when I get there!

My Primal Journal

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Maybe the back of a chair or part of a bed frame?
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpeppersauce View Post
    I'm following Mark's Four Essential Movements Progressions, and I should be moving from wall squats to pole-assisted squats in the next week or two. The problem is, living in an apartment and not being a stripper, I don't have easy access to a pole. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could use instead?

To be clear, I'd rather not have to buy any new equipment for this, because I don't have room to store it. I'd also rather not have to leave the apartment, since I can do all the other exercises in my living room.

Thanks!
    Not meaning to sound harsh, but you just need to think a little laterally, Anything can substitute a pole, the ideas mentioned above, or stand in a doorway facing the door jamb, hook your fingers around the woodwork.

OR

Open the door and hold the handle on both sides.

You are just looking for some sort of support at the start, that's all.

Don't worry, you don't sound harsh. I tend to be a very linear person, so creativity when it comes to things like this is not my strong suit. My only worry with using the door jamb is that I'll pull the wood off, since my apartment isn't exactly sturdy. That being said, I do have a doorway pullup bar that hasn't destroyed my woodwork in the month I've been using it, so maybe I should give this a try.

Thanks for the suggestions!

My Primal Journal

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpeppersauce View Post
    I'm following Mark's Four Essential Movements Progressions, and I should be moving from wall squats to pole-assisted squats in the next week or two. The problem is, living in an apartment and not being a stripper, I don't have easy access to a pole. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
    Change professions?

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PureFunctionalFitness View Post
    Anything can substitute a pole, the ideas mentioned above, or stand in a doorway facing the door jamb, hook your fingers around the woodwork.

OR

Open the door and hold the handle on both sides.
    This is what I do - works fine, never had a problem. Good luck and happy squatting!
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Change professions?
    You know, I was considering that. Until I get rid of some of this carb-belly, though, no one wants to see that!

My Primal Journal

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I would think you do not need to grip for dear life on to the pole or whatever substitute.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

FiveX is offline Member
    Get a Gandalf the Grey walking staff, works great! It can second as an apartment self defense system. Additionally, you can do Primal dancing with it while shaking away to Sevendust or the BeeGees! Just be careful of lamps and fine china, enjoy! Peace...5x