Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Asparstame not dangerous after all! page 4

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Wonder who commissioned the study...!
    Good question.

From the very last part of the study:

"ASSESSMENT OF BOTH THE VALIDITY AND RELIABILITY OF THE LONG-TERM STUDIES ON ASPARTAME AND DI-KETOPIPERAZINE BASED ON THE SUMMARIES OF THE UAREP REPORTS.

1. The Universities Associated for Research and Education in Pathology (UAREP) report consisted in an authentication review of selected materials submitted to the FDA relative to the application of Searle laboratories to market aspartame.

From nearly 100 studies which Searle has presented to the FDA to market aspartame, 12 were selected by FDA and other parties for this review. They included:
    - five major studies of long term toxicity effects in the dogs, rats, and mice
    - two special neuropathology studies
    - the effects of aspartame in newborn rats
    - a two generation reproductive study in the rat
    - a series of screening tests for endocrinological and physiological responses
    - a report covering a few inconsequential observations on pregnant monkeys
    - a major study of the effects of aspartame and its metabolites in embryogenesis and teratogenesis in rabbits."

The fox is not only guarding the henhouse but is generating studies about how safe it is to employ him there.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 01-29-2013 at 11:28 AM.

cantat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Unfortunately I don't, yet. I've been researching for local growers. I know Delta Junction has growers that sell whole beefs, half beefs, and pigs. But I haven't yet found out if these are pastured or if they are conventionally grown. We eat a lot of wild salmon, but our red meat has mostly been coming from the grocery store.

And yes, the internet does make the world seem smaller, for sure! It's always nice to run into another Alaskan.
    Yeah, Alaska is terrible for that stuff. Only just recently was my mom able to find uncured bacon at the grocery store. One time at the Saturday Market she wanted to buy a pastured chicken and it was $10 a pound - one chicken was $40. It's pretty crazy up there. I know there's a grass-fed beef producer in Homer but neither my family nor I have gotten anything from them yet. Luckily, they have more than one freezer (like true Alaskans) so I'm hoping I can convince them to buy a quarter or half cow or something and just have it last for ages. My dad used to hunt but is less inclined to do so now, although we are still gifted some moose on occasion - and rarely, whale. I had some bowhead last time I was in Anchorage!
    29/F
    5'4.5
    Highest weight: 220
    Starting weight: 195
    Current weight: 179
    Goal weight: 127

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Dangers in aspartame

Aspartame, the main ingredient in Equal and NutraSweet, is responsible for the most serious cases of poisoning, because the body actually digests it. Aspartame should be avoided by most women, but particularly in those with neuropsychiatric concerns. Recent studies in Europe show that aspartame use can result in an accumulation of formaldehyde in the brain, which can damage your central nervous system and immune system and cause genetic trauma. The FDA admits this is true, but claims the amount is low enough in most that it shouldn’t raise concern. I think any amount of formaldehyde in your brain is too much.

Aspartame has had the most complaints of any food additive available to the public. It’s been linked with MS, lupus, fibromyalgia and other central nervous disorders. Possible side effects of aspartame include headaches, migraines, panic attacks, dizziness, irritability, nausea, intestinal discomfort, skin rash, and nervousness. Some researchers have linked aspartame with depression and manic episodes. It may also contribute to male infertility.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Good question.

From the very last part of the study:

"ASSESSMENT OF BOTH THE VALIDITY AND RELIABILITY OF THE LONG-TERM STUDIES ON ASPARTAME AND DI-KETOPIPERAZINE BASED ON THE SUMMARIES OF THE UAREP REPORTS.

1. The Universities Associated for Research and Education in Pathology (UAREP) report consisted in an authentication review of selected materials submitted to the FDA relative to the application of Searle laboratories to market aspartame.

From nearly 100 studies which Searle has presented to the FDA to market aspartame, 12 were selected by FDA and other parties for this review. They included:
    - a major study of the effects of aspartame and its metabolites in embryogenesis and teratogenesis in rabbits."

The fox is not only guarding the henhouse but is generating studies about how safe it is to employ him there.
    It's why I take everything I see / read with a big glob of saturated fat There's usually someone pushing an agenda. You can use "science" to prove anything you like.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

AyaPapaya is offline Member
    Always.
    "Imagine all the people, living life in peace..."

"Nothing will work unless you do."

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Dangers in aspartame

Aspartame, the main ingredient in Equal and NutraSweet, is responsible for the most serious cases of poisoning, because the body actually digests it. Aspartame should be avoided by most women, but particularly in those with neuropsychiatric concerns. Recent studies in Europe show that aspartame use can result in an accumulation of formaldehyde in the brain, which can damage your central nervous system and immune system and cause genetic trauma. The FDA admits this is true, but claims the amount is low enough in most that it shouldn’t raise concern. I think any amount of formaldehyde in your brain is too much.

Aspartame has had the most complaints of any food additive available to the public. It’s been linked with MS, lupus, fibromyalgia and other central nervous disorders. Possible side effects of aspartame include headaches, migraines, panic attacks, dizziness, irritability, nausea, intestinal discomfort, skin rash, and nervousness. Some researchers have linked aspartame with depression and manic episodes. It may also contribute to male infertility.
    My neurologist thinks there is enough evidence about aspartame and seizures to recommend cutting it out completely. The fact that diet sodas taste like sweetened lighter fluid makes that really easy.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    My neurologist thinks there is enough evidence about aspartame and seizures to recommend cutting it out completely. The fact that diet sodas taste like sweetened lighter fluid makes that really easy.
    Hey, guess what...
    My neurologist said the same thing.
    Actually several have said it to me. Including the ones at the Mayo clinic.
    They said stop all artificial sweeteners, ESPECIALLY Aspartame, and use only natural sweeteners.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Wonder who commissioned the study...!
    And how much did it cost them to get that "result"?
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Timthetaco Guest

This section that you quoted is from the third to last page of the entire report, section L of the annex. It discusses, like the title says, "BOTH THE VALIDITY AND RELIABILITY OF THE LONG-TERM STUDIES ON ASPARTAME AND DI-KETOPIPERAZINE BASED ON THE SUMMARIES OF THE UAREP REPORTS".

Summaries of what reports? Well, you bolded it already. That section is a summary of their conclusions from an earlier report on 12 of the nearly 100 studies Searle (the company that created aspartame) submitted to the FDA for review in 1978. I'm assuming you didn't realize that. This 245 page report - which you completely glossed over in a hasty attempt to denigrate not only the panel that drafted it but the scientific process in general - is not based only on data from 12 studies.

So I'm sorry, but I think you just made a ridiculous ass of yourself.

Let's all have a Coke Zero and relax (except the PKUs, bad idea).
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 01-29-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What I find odd is that those who usually defend "moderate-high carbs" are so pro-aspartame???

WTF?
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-29-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast