Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 - thoughts? page 4

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Good question Magnolia, and your perspective is a really good one for me to think about, regarding being conscious of food choices and enjoying "treats" (Mark's post was totally apropo today). I'm not concerned about the wine and chocolate, but feel like I could raise the awareness a bit, and try turning to fruit instead of chocolate, for instance. Still undecided, but better informed!

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Well, my wife decided it would be good for the whole family to do this (my wife and 2 kids, ages 8 and 10, have been having sugar and grains while I've been Primal for over a year), so we're in day 1! Shopping last night was a trip. I didn't realize all the brands of smoked salmon at WF are cured with sugar! Kids are only a bit resistant (so far, ha), and it was good to see my daughter enjoying the salmon I cooked for her this morning instead of the bean-and-cheese burrito she usually would have.

Magnolia, I already can see that, like you, sugar is a bigger issue than I thought. I suspect that my wine consumption (it was getting very steady) was partly due to that, and certainly the chocolate was more of a habit than a "sensible indulgence." Awareness.

snoops is offline Senior Member
    Good luck with the month Tom B-D. I did it in February not as the whole 30 but as a detox with my chiro and it was essentially the whole 30. Didn't really think I had a problem with sugar. Ha ha ha. Like you it was chocolate and red wine mostly. I was pretty miserable the whole month but mostly in the first week. SO be warned. Interestingly a friend who had watched me through the month asked me yesterday if it was worth is and would I do it again (he was thinking probably I would answer no) but I thought about it and said yes. It was very informative in regards to my sugar issues. I have not added back in some of the more bad choices I used to make. Still on the chocolate but surprisingly 85% Green and Black tastes really good to me now. I used to find it too bitter and went with 70%. And the wine, well I'm down to not having some everyday. And having done it once I would think it would be easier the next time.

Keep us posted. I for one would be interested to watch your thoughts through the month.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Whole 30 helped me a lot really. It is hard to give up the things you love, especially when you find out that you are actually allergic to those things. I had to go super restrictive and add nuts and eggs to that list of restrictions. I actually had no idea that I was actually allergic, not just intolerant to dairy eggs and nuts (almonds in particular). So the whole 30 has become the way I pretty much have to eat. I do have some sugar back in my diet, but really am restricting it to just a Sunday dessert treat, homemade. I actually had half a milk chocolate Lindt bunny yesterday and really paid for it with severe symptoms yesterday and it is going to take a few days for my body to recover from that assault. I seem to be severely allergic to the casein. There is no doubt that eliminating the offending foods has made me much more sensitive now. Be prepared for that.........
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    I recently completed a Whole30 and am glad I did it. Yes, it's strict Paleo but I didn't feel deprived. I did learn a lot, it helped with what I thought was a pretty well controlled sweet tooth, and I now look at dairy differently and think it might not be so innocuous as I once thought. At least not for me.

The no paleofied desserts, no sweeteners of any kind, and even no smoothies is a bit strict and not sustainable long term for me but going without for 30 days does have it's benefits. If nothing else it helps to reset your body and get back to the basics of nothing but real whole healthy foods.

I actually enjoyed it and it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. This summer I'm going to do another one.

Geeknik is offline Member
    I'm losing weight just fine loosely following the Primal diet but will definitely try 'whole 30' for a month if I get to a point where I reach a plateau.

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Whole 30 ... absolutely the best thing I have done since I transitioned back to Paleo over 3 years ago. I personally don't find that restrictive because the majority of the foods that most people eat in the 80/20 are things that I can't have due to the Celiac and food allergies.
    I had been reluctant initially to venture into the Whole 30, primarily because I didn't want to give up stevia. However, three days into my first round, I realized that I wasn't nauseated, or bloated, or aching and the usual TMI digestive crap was simply gone. I'm 65 days in and counting ... and right now, although there will likely always be some things that I might want to eat again, I really like not feeling like crap.
    I had given up coffee some time ago, although I had never used creamer or milk, I did use stevia and I was always sick at my stomach after drinking any (same with the occasional stevia sweetened tea). I have coffee every morning now, black and straight - with no after effects.
    I have seen other changes too, that I had not seen just following paleo/primal, so for me at least, Whole 30 is working for me.
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Jacksson is offline Senior Member
    When I first read about the Whole30, I too thought it was way too restrictive and ridiculous but I knew I needed to make a change in how I was eating. I basically didnt feel like I had control. I knew I needed to "cut back" on this or that but it never really happened.

So I did the Whole30 in January and it has completely changed how I eat. And I didnt really find it that difficult. I was super strict because I felt like if I was going to do it, I was really going to do it. I didnt take it as gospel but I knew for sure I needed to get away from foods with sugar added and just plain crap food. I dont think that is faulty logic at all. I knew the elimination of dairy was temporary so I didnt have heat burn over that either. I just wanted to experience it completely. I guess I just liked the challenge and wanted to feel a sense of accomplishment.

Since finishing, I eat some dairy but not as much as before. I cook with butter and have a bit of milk every once in a while. I will also still sprinkle some cheese on some eggs once in a while but it's no longer a requirement. I will also have a bit of rice here and there if at a restaurant and it comes with what I got.

But primarily, I have stuck to the basic premise of eating a reasonable portion of protein, a plate full of vegetables and some healthy fat whether it is a part of the protein or veggies or if it is some added olives or avacado. And I eat 2 or 3 meals a day and have eliminated snacking. The thing that makes it so significant is that for the first time, I know I can live like this and I know it is healthy. The Whole30 will sound like a diet but if you look at it like a cleanse or detox or whatever, and understand it is temporary it can leave you with some really good habits.

Do you have to follow it 100%? No. I did but that is what my personality requires. My wife "modified" it for herself and has been slower to lose weight and "cheats" more than I do but is still losing weight and her blood numbers have improved significantly.

Like I said, I feel like I have made a significant positive change in my life and couldnt be happier. If you are thinking about it, give it a try. It's only a month, or less if you decide you dont like it. There is no disputing that eating healthier food is better. One statement they made in the book or on their site that really stuck with me was that there was no Switzerland when it comes to food. It either makes you healthier or less healthy. It doesnt matter what book, diet, internet guru, or forum member says, we know if it makes us healthier or not. Ok, there is some debate on certain foods but generally speaking we know for sure that eating marshmello peeps is not doing us any favors.

PeaceKaren is offline Member
    I just finished doing a Whole 30 (Whole 46?) for Lent. Since I've been Primal for over 2 years this amounted to eating my usual diet and giving up dairy, chocolate and alcohol for Lent. I was able to make several new observations about my eating habits relating to those 3 foods (how often and when I typically want to consume them, the effect they have on my energy and sleep, etc). Easter morning I had my long-awaited cup of coffee WITH MILK (ahhh!) and discovered, to my surprise, that I now prefer my coffee black! LOL.

I think under the right circumstances Whole30 has it place as a food experiment, elimination diet, diet reset, etc. Some people need hard, fast rules to follow and it serves that purpose. In my case it worked to focus on just a few elements of my diet. It would not have been the right path for me if I was trying to go from a SAD diet to Paleo. The strict all-or-nothing approach would have set me up for failure. For making a big change, an 80/20 approach like Primal is a better option for me. That's just a personal preference.

Peace,
    Karen

bicyclegirl is offline Junior Member
    I'm glad this thread got brought to live again. I've been thinking of doing this, have the book, It Starts With Food, read it, haven't jumped in yet. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks everyone!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast