Thread: Osita's primal journal - - - RAWWWR! page

Osita is offline Junior Member

Osita's primal journal - - - RAWWWR!

Primal Fuel
    Hello cavefolks!

How great to find this healthy, active online community. Just loving all the common sense.

For over two months I cut out refined sugars, when I noticed they were feeding an emotional addiction - and then replaced them with dairy! My daily breakfast was meusli and yogurt with black tea. Snacks often included cheese. I mean, I live in Switzerland after all. But oh what headaches and fatigue. I felt heavy, tired, icky.

Then one day I was thinking "you know, I'd be really happy if all I ate were my favorite Persian green stew with chicken or lamb and skipped the rice, lots of salads, fresh herbs, maybe some Alaskan salmon now and then, and blueberries!" This made me laugh because I'd always thought if I could live like a certain animal I'd be a grizzly bear in the Pacific Northwest.... about 700 years ago. My fiancÚ even calls me 'Osita' (she bear), and he is my Oso.

A week later, a wise friend pointed me towards primal. I googled. I found Mark. My Osita body growled with delight.

So far... just a few days in and I'm learning how to cut the dairy, grains and beans. I'm thankful to have already cut out sugars and processed foods and have the habit of cooking for myself. I also have a flexible schedule and work most days from home or running around the city from one training/meeting/consultation to another. Once a week I take a Middle Eastern dance class.

Yesterday was my first day tracking (using MyFitnessPal) so I can really figure out the carb levels.

B: a coconut milk smoothie with frozen blueberries, a banana, enriched protein powder and vitamineral greens (I figure those last two aren't so bad and I might as well finish off what I have)
    S: nuts and dried fruit (at a work event)
    L: leftover roasted root vegetables and chicken drenched in olive oil, one fried egg and 1/3 of the plate green salad (rampion)
    Afternoon: long nap
    D: baked salmon topped with red pepper, onions and capers, steamed broccoli and carrots (at a work event)

Not sure if I calculated amounts correctly, but MFP showed my calories roughly came from 50% fat (121g), 25% protein (136g) and 25% carbs (136g).

This morning I woke up with a full stomach. I'm really not used to eating that much meat. It was probably just too much food altogether.

So far today:

B: green tea until my stomach feels ready for food.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Thank you!

An update... after the green tea, I eventually felt ready for an itty bitty apple I'd picked up at the farmer's market recently.

Then
    Lunch: two poached eggs on a salad of rampion (mache) and some sauted onions and mushrooms
    I didn't feel hungry at all for another few hours... had another mini apple a few hours later
    6:30pm I attended an intensive dance class and sweat like a crazy thing!
    8:30pm Ate a large green salad with two small filets of chicken breast with a lime-basil-mayo dressing

MFP reports today's composition as
    14 g fat (23%)
    53 g carbs (40%)
    49 g protein (37%)

That's not a lot of calories, only 728 for the day, plus burning a bunch in dance class, but I really wasn't hungry for more and just let my body decide what it wanted. That felt really good.

Night y'all!

bamabelle is offline Senior Member
    Looks like you are off to a great start. Glad that you find this plan to appeal to your inner bear

Amanda

Well!

This morning I woke up feeling tired, took a shower and part way through felt really dizzy, woozy. It was all I could do to crawl out and eat a banana, slowly. After a bit I made another coconut-blueberry-protein powder smoothie. I was still shaky for another hour. Couldn't tell if it was from not enough sleep or not enough calories the day before. Interesting experience!

Anyhow, luckily I had a late start day at work and took the time to let my blood sugar adjust. As I read more on this site it's becoming clear that I've probably spent my entire life in sugar-burning mode. This is a huge adjustment, and the amazing thing is now it takes very little food for me to feel quite full and satisfied for hours. I even had to push myself to eat a bit more this evening because the calorie count was so low and I don't have quite so much time to adjust tomorrow morning.

Anyhow, for the rest of the day

Second half of breakfast: two poached eggs on rampion, with olive oil and vinegar

Late lunch/early dinner around 5pm: handful of cashews, roasted root vegetables with sauteed spinach and smoked Alaskan salmon

Evening: dance class again! Vigorous and playful indeed!

Late evening: Homemade turkey/vegetable patty with some sauerkraut on the side

MFP reports
    61g fat (49%)
    80g carbs (29%) all from vegetables, 1 banana and some blueberries
    62g protein (22%)
    1071 calories total - is that possible? I feel soooo full.

It's really tricky increasing protein! I'm much happier with lots of vegetables. Hoping for a better morning tomorrow.

Nighty night, cavefolks!
    Last edited by Osita; 01-30-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks Amanda!
    I'm really enjoying the process so far. Learning a lot.

grrrrrrrr

Another day primal!

Here's the menu:

I pretty much ate the same exact thing at breakfast lunch and dinner and it was delicious

Kuku sabzi (a persian green omlette, lots of spinach, herbs and eggs)

Turkey patties (ground turkey meat, green peppers, spinach, chipotle peppers, onions and spices)

Smoked Alaskan chum salmon, with capers

Raw sauerkraut and shredded apple. The combination is a perfect topping for the kuku and patties!

Late afternoon I had a couple small handfuls of raw cashews.

No dairy, no sugar, no grains. Feeling great!

MFP report

total fat 56 grams (41% of calories)
    carbs 100 grams (33% of calories)
    protein 80 grams (26% of calories)

I'm still trying to figure out how to increase the protein. Smoked salmon has been a great addition. I just really love my veggies!

Nighty night, cavefolks!

Hello hello! A quick check in to say I'm back from travels.

Oh my gosh, they eat a lot of bread and cheese in France! I was at a training in western France with on site meals. Thankfully I took a can of coconut milk and a scoop of protein powder for each day. I prefer to switch up breakfast a bit more, but this kept me going until lunch at least. Did drink too much coffee, though.

Got back last night and took the day off today to grocery shop, cook and recover, but still came down with acute bronchitis, remnant of an early January cold and lots of train stations. Arg.

Anyhow, this morning I made some Thai chicken soup for a late breakfast, then cooked up a storm all afternoon and had a bowl of Persian Ghormeh sabzi with chicken for dinner AND a homemade beef and vegetable patty! I found some organic beef at the grocery store and then mixed it up with some spinach, onions, eggs and lots of spices. For someone who could never stomach the taste of red meat before, this made it quite edible.

MFP stats for the day
    Fat 36g (41%)
    Carbs 46g (24%)
    Protein 68g (35%)

Wow! That's my lowest carb and highest protein day.... Probably ever!

And with that... It's 8:30pm and I'm off to sleep.

Nighty night, cavefolks.

Osita