Thread: Strep-pneumoniae and low carb eating page

Aleat is offline Junior Member

Question Strep-pneumoniae and low carb eating

Been eating primal now for around 13 months and been loving it. One of the great results was no longer catching the flu or any illness.
    However, during the first few weeks of January I've gotten a pretty bad sore throat and a bit of a flu, on two different occasions. Both times the doctor administrated some anti-inflammatory throat spray and Danzen Tablets (Serratiopeptidase). Within a few days, the sore throat had disappeared and I was feeling back to normal.
    At the second visit to the doctors, they took a throat swab to send off to the lab to check for any bacterial infections.
    Results have come back today, saying that I have Strep-pneumoniae. I've been given a course of anti-biotics to take.
    But, to the main point, the doctor has recommended that I eat more carbs, such as wholemeal pasta and rice.
    Being an active athlete- playing rugby and going to the gym multiple times a week- I have implemented a post-workout serving of sweet potatoes for the past few months.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has come across this problem before, and if they have any advice on how to go about the increased carb intake. Maybe the recommendation was just in the short-term to eat carbs to let my body recover. But I'm not too keen to eat a higher carb intake in the long-term, as I've been enjoying all the aspects of primal living.

Any suggestions/info would be appreciated,

Thanks!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    did the dr tell you that would help your throat??
    or unrelated advice?

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    if you feel good eating that way I would keep doing it.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Did you ask him why eating that type of carb would help your strep?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Did you ask him why eating that type of carb would help your strep?
    lol.....

Sorry OP. I'm pretty sure your doctor is just toeing the company line so to speak.

Beyond that you may be able to thank his previous attempt at suppressing your innate immune response for setting you up for the strep infection.

Aleat is offline Junior Member
    When I explained to the doctor the diet i follow, she said that this style of low carb eating isnt very healthy in the long-term, and mentioned something to do with carbs breaking down body fats...
    Recommended some pasta/rice once a week

Think my plan going forward is to finish the antibiotics course, and continue eating in a primal fashion. Will see how my body goes. If the strep returns, will have a more in-depth talk with the doc about dieting and nutrition, see if i can get a bit more explanation.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleat View Post
    Well a weekly re-feed wouldn't be the end of the world if your an active person. But, you can do that with starchy tubers and fruit.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleat View Post
    When I explained to the doctor the diet i follow, she said that this style of low carb eating isnt very healthy in the long-term, and mentioned something to do with carbs breaking down body fats...

Think my plan going forward is to finish the antibiotics course, and continue eating in a primal fashion. Will see how my body goes. If the strep returns, will have a more in-depth talk with the doc about dieting and nutrition, see if i can get a bit more explanation.
    Ok...

I don't think you should listen to that doctor re: dietary advice.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."