Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suggestions regarding Vibram FinveFingers page

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member

suggestions regarding Vibram FinveFingers

So I just threw out my first pair of vibrams, which were the old TrekSport model. They did a good job, but finally started to fall apart. I still have a pair of KSOs with the natural sole, which work ok for stuff around town, however, I need something that I can start backpacking/hiking in, and the KSO won't cut it.

I was thinking about getting another solid pair of TrekSports, but they're pretty bland, and I was looking at the new Spyridons, which claim to have incredibly grippy soles and a new sole technology that protects better from bumps and jabs, though the are .5 mm thinner than the TrekSports.

Has anyone tried the Spyridons? Is at a worthwhile upgrade? Will they protect/perform better than the TrekSports?

Thanks in advance!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Great... now you are making me want to buy a new pair of Spyridons as it's one of the pair I want that I don't have YET... because they come in awesome black with rasperry and green details.

I'm a girl, that's how it works.

But I don't have them yet so I can't help you.
    I do love my older leather KSO treks for trails though, and they have a heavier sole.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

I'm afraid that the leather would leave me way overheated, for whatever reason my feat are always pulling overtime in the heating department. Also, I plan on using them in Hawaii, so a synthetic material would probably be better for the wet climate.

Toshison is offline Member
    I have a pair of Spyridon's with the lacing system and they are pretty much the beefiest VFF's out there. I don't normally have sweaty feet but I do when I wear them so you may have an issue there. I also question the legitimacy of the "full-finger" design on these because the thick rugged soles essentially render your 2 outer toes of each foot useless. The thickness of the soles dont really allow you to even really move those toes much so having each toe in its separate pocket is actually a little ineffective. Basically, you don't have as much sensitivty of movement and feel of the ground like you would with KSOs, its a compromise for the added protection. Another thing to think about is depending on where you opt to hike and in what conditions, having the ability to wear good quality socks can be important. So, I would be more inclined to recommend a minimalist shoe that does not have individual pockets for toes. Perhaps a New Balance Minimus or Merrell barefoot shoe if they are comfortable.

Thanks for the review Toshison, that just the kind of information I was looking for. It sounds like these might be just right the activities I'm looking for. I hear that the velcro version has a thinner top and doesn't cause as much sweat. Sounds like they were really made for ruffing it, not just days at the gym or on the track.

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    After one year of hesitancy, I am going buy a pair of V5F this incoming weekend.

They will be for sprinting only, no long distance running, not even occasionally, no fitness, no casual walk and no hike. Just sprints. Also, I will be sprinting on tartan.

Any suggestions? (I already have a couple preferred models, I just want to cross-check with people already using them).

Thanks in advance!

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I have a pair of KSO's that I use for sprinting, and I've been happy with them.
    Fivefingers bother my toes after wearing for several hours, but sprints are fine because of the duration.

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    I have a pair of KSO's that I use for sprinting, and I've been happy with them.
    Fivefingers bother my toes after wearing for several hours, but sprints are fine because of the duration.
    Hi Ghashul, thanks for the feedback. I already saw the KSO, the other model I am evaluating is the Bikila LS.

As you, too, are using them for sprints, how much period of adaptation did you need before doing actual, real, full power sprints?

lougskypes is offline Junior Member
    yeah,good info,ounds like they were really made for ruffing it, not just days at the gym or on the track.thank you

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I bought the spyridons (standard not LS) yesterday and should have them within a week, I'll report back with a quick review when I get them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast