Thread: Overhead Press Progression page

Transmutable is offline Junior Member

Overhead Press Progression

There used to be a video about the overhead press progression on Youtube. The other 4 progression videos are still there. Has something changed in the Blueprint that the overhead press isn't recommended any more?

I just substituted a dumbbell military press today. But I'd like to know if there's been a change. I got the fitness book about a year ago.

skline2 is offline Senior Member
    Convict Conditioning has one.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    I think they took it out, but who cares, Everyone should do the over head press with a barbell anyway.

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    I agree. Pick something heavy off the ground and lift it over your head. What's a better demonstration of strength than that?

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreenwood View Post
    I agree. Pick something heavy off the ground and lift it over your head. What's a better demonstration of strength than that?
    well that's a clean and jerk... which is a better demonstration of strength than a strict press imho!
    ad astra per aspera

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    well that's a clean and jerk... which is a better demonstration of strength than a strict press imho!
    Technically, a clean and jerk is a demonstration of power, which is strength over time, not raw strength

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Technically, a clean and jerk is a demonstration of power, which is strength over time, not raw strength
    nah - just do it reaaaal slow like a power lifter :P

It's funny how much difference there is between powerlifters/weightlifters ; at my USAW cert the coach was kind of talking shit about the deadlift as a functional movement (as opposed to the clean deadlift or snatch deadlift) -- with the argument of "When, as an athlete or human, are you even in an athletic stance with your shins 90 degrees to the floor??" I liked that.

I'm sure power lifters have other witicisms

I met a female powerlifter a few weekends ago - I asked her what her olympic lifts were and she said "I don't even know. I don't do them ever. I try and I'm so slow it's ugly" - fascinating that there is so much adaptation and variance been strength and power. Pretty cool that there are multiple barbell sports!
    ad astra per aspera

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    I met a female powerlifter a few weekends ago - I asked her what her olympic lifts were and she said "I don't even know. I don't do them ever. I try and I'm so slow it's ugly" - fascinating that there is so much adaptation and variance been strength and power. Pretty cool that there are multiple barbell sports!
    The interesting thing is that explosiveness is highly genetic. Everyone can get relatively strong, but not many can get powerful. Seems like a key characteristic of many great athletes.