Thread: Adobo??? page

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member

Adobo???

Shop Now
    Hey does anyone up in the Northwest know where/what brand of adobo to use? I was looking at the marinade page Mark put up a couple years ago and one of them is just marinading the meat in adobo sauce. I checked out the Mexican food aisles at my co-op and one of the local markets and the only brand I found had all sorts of nasty shit in it. Is this something I'm going to have to visit a Mexican market for to find a brand of quality?
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I've been unable to find canned without the yucky stuff (and then there's the bpa in the can). Anyway, this recipe doesn't look too bad except for the brown sugar, and even that is only 4 tblsp in one and a half quarts.

HOMEMADE ADOBO SAUCE

12 ancho chiles, wiped clean
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    2 cups water
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 medium onions, - thinly sliced
    5 garlic cloves, sliced
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    4 cups chicken stock
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/4 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Toast the chiles directly over a medium gas flame or in a cast-iron skillet until soft and brown, turning frequently to avoid scorching.

Transfer the toasted chiles to a saucepan and add the vinegar and water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 10 minutes to soften.

Transfer the chiles and liquid to a blender or food processor. Puree until a smooth paste is formed, adding a tablespoon or 2 of water if necessary to thin. Set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute the onions until golden brown, 8-10 minutes.

Stir in the garlic and cook briefly just to release the aroma.

Next, stir in the cumin and cook another minute.

Add the chicken stock and reserved chile paste. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix together the brown sugar, orange and lemon juices, tomato paste, salt and pepper to form a paste. Add to the simmering stock mixture and continue cooking another 15 minutes.

Adobe Sauce can be stored in the refrigerator 1 week or frozen indefinitely.

Makes 1 1/2 quarts
    Source: Mesa Mexicana by Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger
    From here: Recipe: Homemade Adobo Sauce (food processor) - Recipelink.com
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    Hey this is pretty doable... thanks!
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

I use dried chilies for mine soak them in chicken stock with an onion and a couple cloves of garlic add a pinch of cinnamon pinch of oregano tbsp cumin two tbsp tomato paste and a splash of vingar then just throw it in the blender

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I got mine from penzeys.com