Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Am I doing this wrong? (Fats related) page

  1. #1
    EmmettsMommy's Avatar
    EmmettsMommy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    22

    Am I doing this wrong? (Fats related)

    Primal Fuel
    Hi all!

    Here's what I ate today:

    Bfast: I wasn't that hungry, so I just had some egg whites, green pepper and spinach. (I usually try to add a couple yolks, but I hate the taste so today I didn't.)

    Lunch: Huge green salad with sunflower seeds, chicken, and broccoli.

    After workout: Small pear, almond butter

    Dinner: 2 turkey burgers, cup of broccoli

    I am hungry ALL the time on Paleo so far (only day 4), and despite 'feeling' lighter, my weight has gone up 2 lbs. I am also going to the restroom much more frequently. Which is fine with me. My carbs today seem high, and I did eat some dark chocolate... I'm just SO freaking hungry at all times. Drinking tons of water, too. What am I doing wrong?

    From what I have read, I should be eating fat at bfast too, is that right? What do I add? I don't want bacon and don't like avocado. Could I add something simple, like flax seeds? All advice welcome even though I know I sound difficult.

  2. #2
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,840
    Yep, you need more fat I'd say. Eat real burgers, not turkey. Experiment with pork, lamb, bison, really, whatever you can get your hands on.

    Prefer fattier cuts of meat over lean ones. Use coconut oil, lard, tallow, ghee, and butter for cooking.

    Use olive oil and avocado oil for uncooked sauces and dressings and drizzling over already cooked items.

    Looks like you might be a little high on the omega-6 to omega-3 ratio so try to get some good wild-caught seafood into your diet.

    Also, just eat more in general. The hunger might be your body saying you need more calories.

    Edit: And nobody says you have to stick to a strict three times a day eating plan. I tend to eat my daily intake of 1,800-2,200 calories in one sitting personally. Find a schedule that works best with your schedule and keep to it.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 01-28-2013 at 06:16 PM.

  3. #3
    ciep's Avatar
    ciep is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Barneveld, NY
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmettsMommy View Post
    I'm just SO freaking hungry at all times. Drinking tons of water, too. What am I doing wrong?
    Not eating enough, by the sounds of it.

    Also, you say your "carbs seem high". I don't see much carbohydrate in what you posted, aside from a "small pear", so I take it you're going very low carb? Go ahead and experiment by all means, and maybe VLC will be great for you, but it's also possible you'd feel better with a more balanced approach.

    In any case, it looks like you're eating healthy foods, and that's the most important thing, you just might want to try eating a larger amount of them. When you start a new way of eating it can take a few weeks to figure out what the right portion sizes are for you.

    Good luck.

    And I agree with Drumroll's comments, which I somehow overlooked before posting my own. Especially the bit about trying some fattier meats. I love bison myself.

  4. #4
    EmmettsMommy's Avatar
    EmmettsMommy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Yep, you need more fat I'd say. Eat real burgers, not turkey. Experiment with pork, lamb, bison, really, whatever you can get your hands on.

    Prefer fattier cuts of meat over lean ones. Use coconut oil, lard, tallow, ghee, and butter for cooking.
    Use olive oil and avocado oil for uncooked sauces and dressings and drizzling over already cooked items.
    Looks like you might be a little high on the omega-6 to omega-3 ratio so try to get some good wild-caught seafood into your diet.
    Also, just eat more in general. The hunger might be your body saying you need more calories.
    Edit: And nobody says you have to stick to a strict three times a day eating plan. I tend to eat my daily intake of 1,800-2,200 calories in one sitting personally. Find a schedule that works best with your schedule and keep to it.
    Great info, thank you. I'm so used to eating a certain way, it's going to be difficult for me to wrap my brain around some of this. Particularly fatty meat and cooking with butter.

  5. #5
    EmmettsMommy's Avatar
    EmmettsMommy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    Not eating enough, by the sounds of it.

    Also, you say your "carbs seem high". I don't see much carbohydrate in what you posted, aside from a "small pear", so I take it you're going very low carb? Go ahead and experiment by all means, and maybe VLC will be great for you, but it's also possible you'd feel better with a more balanced approach.

    In any case, it looks like you're eating healthy foods, and that's the most important thing, you just might want to try eating a larger amount of them. When you start a new way of eating it can take a few weeks to figure out what the right portion sizes are for you.

    Good luck.

    And I agree with Drumroll's comments, which I somehow overlooked before posting my own. Especially the bit about trying some fattier meats. I love bison myself.
    Well, high for what I was aiming for, I guess. I'm not sure where they "should" be. I am carb-sensitive, or insulin resistant, is probably a more accurate term. Even though I'm a runner, years ago when my diet was working well for me I seemed to function best under 100g quality carbs per day. Right now I'm trying to keep it 70-80 and just see how that goes. My running is less, I lift weights more.

    Thanks for your advice. I am not sure where to get bison. But I delight in the idea of eating steak and pork again. I haven't had those in a while. Also, I know the scale isn't an indicator of health, but I really really don't want to gain.

  6. #6
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,840
    Use this website to locate farms that raise pastured animals near you:

    Eat Wild

    They will tell you what kind of animals the farm raises, so if things like lamb, bison, deer, or goat are available, you'll know!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •