Thread: New goal but is it reasonable. page

phigment is offline Senior Member

New goal but is it reasonable.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I want to run the march of dimes event in March. I generallly not a runner by any stretch of the imagination. I can walk it no problem. It is aporox 8.5 miles long. Is it feasible to think I would be able to train and run it in six weeks? Any thoughts or advice is helpful.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Start training. Do you have someone who can help you? Come March you do what you can. Run a little/walk a little. I think its awesome you want to do that!
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    way to go Phigment - the world is your oyster !!!!
    G x
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

diene is offline Senior Member
    I think you can do it. How far can you run now?

phigment is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the support Valmason and Gwamna. Right now I very rarly run so I don't know how far. I'll ask my pt where and how to start on Friday. Cardio I generally so either the rower, eliptical, or swim. I bike alot but it doesn't translate well to running. I looked at the couch to 5k which takes time and if my math is correct a little over 3 miles.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I would say go for a very slow jog and see how far you can go. If you find you can already jog a 5k (again, go SLOOOOWLY), you can almost certainly be ready to run 9 miles in 6 weeks. However, if you're like I was before I started running, and you can't run more than a minute without being totally winded and wanting to barf, I would recommend setting your sights a little lower, like a 5k Shamrock Run on St. Paddy's Day. It's been my experience that working up to running a 5k is SO SO HARD, but once you have a 5k, the miles just keep adding on like cake after that.

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    Go for it. That's what life's about. Start training and see how much progress you can make. When it comes to race day, do what you can, walk some if you have to. You want to be the kind of person that tries stuff like this, not the kind that writes it off before you start!