Thread: Popovers/Yorkshire pudding - sort of primal page

Egerland is offline Senior Member

Popovers/Yorkshire pudding - sort of primal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you can stand some carbs... I substituted gluten-free flour (a mixture of rice flours, potato flour etc, but no wheat) for the usual wheat flour. They turned out pretty good - ingredients were said g-f flour, eggs, and cream and salt. I used the classic recipe from the Joy of Cooking.

Best to use an electric hand mixer, but can be done with a vigorously wielded whisk.

Mix cream and flour - 1 cup of cream, half a cup of flour, then beat in two eggs with a dash of salt. The mixture should be the consistency of heavy cream. Don't over mix once you've added the eggs. You might have to add more g-f flour or water to adjust the consistency. Pour into large pregreased cupcake pans with a dollop of fat for each popover. You can use bacon grease, duck fat, beef drippings etc.

Bake at 450' for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 350' for 20 more minutes without opening the oven. Have some butter handy when you eat them. Traditionally served with roast beast.

Caution on the gluten-free flours: the first one I bought had fava bean powder in the mix and was awful.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I make pop-overs with my normal gluten free mix (rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch + xanthun gum for stabilizer) and they turn out well. Mine are flour, eggs, milk and salt. As simple as it comes. I posted recipe gazillion years ago.

Basically this flour mix subs for flour just perfectly in any non yeast based bread one to one, and nobody would ever guess it's not wheat.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I make pop-overs with my normal gluten free mix (rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch + xanthun gum for stabilizer) and they turn out well. Mine are flour, eggs, milk and salt. As simple as it comes. I posted recipe gazillion years ago.

Basically this flour mix subs for flour just perfectly in any non yeast based bread one to one, and nobody would ever guess it's not wheat.
    What proportions of each do you use? I'd like to try this! And does it make decent pastry? I SO miss shortcrust - sausage rolls, I love you!