Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving up artificial sweeteners... page

NorthStar is offline Junior Member

Giving up artificial sweeteners...

So I was listening to some old Jillian Michaels podcasts -- I disagree with a lot of her ideas, but I admire her ferocity and passion, and she does deviate from CW more often than most mainstream people I've read. Anyway, she was talking about artificial sweeteners and how bad they are for you -- specifically, aspartame and saccharin. It's always been in the back of my mind to give them up, especially my diet soda habit. I've fallen off the PB wagon twice now, and I think it's because I try to change my entire life at once, which doesn't work for me. So I've decided that artificial sweeteners (most especially asparetame, saccharin, and splenda) are gone. When I've been two weeks off those things and feel ready, the next step is wheat, which might take longer than 2 weeks to give up fully.

So I'm having issues with what to drink! I'm diabetic, so juices are totally out. Even watered down, wasting 8-10g of my carbs (and insulin) on juice seems dumb. I drink a LOT. I tend to drink water all day as a teacher, but when I'm eating a meal, I prefer something with taste. I can't do tea; I've tried every tea I can possibly find and I really hate hate hate hot drinks. And I can't seem to make a palatable glass of iced tea

I accidentally bought a huge can of Arizona diet green tea because I didn't recognize sucrulose as splenda

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I used to drink iced black coffee - quite strong black coffee with a heap of ice, really cold. Or else iced water with lemon juice.

But why do we need anything other than water, really? It's just habit.

What about Miso soup or beef broth?

I've read a study somewhere that artificial sweeteners also still trigger the 'sweet receptors' (though they put it more scientifically!) in the brain, so you still crave sweet stuff (even without the insulin response and such).

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    If you must... lemon juice, lime juice, stevia. Completely innocuous and pretty yummy.

Bukawww is offline Senior Member
    Try spicing up your water!

I love cucumber water the best...but oranges and limes or even a combo thereof taste delicious too.

I just slice up whatever I'm 'marinating' shove it in a bottle of water and let it get very chilly in the fridge. The aroma and taste are quite satisfying!

suechef is offline Member
    I don't like fruit herbal teas when they're hot, but I do when they are cold, oddly enough. Maybe make some strong berry tea or something and try it over ice.

kimmie is offline Senior Member
    I mostly drink iced tea with lemon or water flavored with lemon or lime slices. I gave up artificial sweetners about three weeks ago and feel like that's what had been stalling my loss (plus was detrimental to my healthy anyway). I was a 4-5 Diet Coke/day girl. Now I find that I am so much more sensitive to the sweet taste in natural things since my tastes aren't distored by artificial sweetners.

Oh...I use an electric tea maker and it makes it fast and easy. I normally use naturally decaffinated tea since I drink so much of it.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i drink coffee in the morning and water the rest the day

about a yr and a half ago i was a 12 pack of diet soda a day drinker... i gave it all up, all sweetnes and sweetners cold turkey. i have never made a better decisiion. the brain fog, the had fuzzys, the blood suga woes, al gone

i would say stick to water for now simply so you dont replace one vice wih another and you really need to focus yourself on getting past mouth hunger which is why people drink fluids besides water. whn i stress at work i still get an auto-i-need-diet-sunkist-cold-crisp-drink feeling, but it passes in no time

batty is offline Senior Member
    sometimes stuff has to be sacrificed and there's just no viable substitute. it can suck an egg sometimes, but in the end its better for you.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

kimmie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    whn i stress at work i still get an auto-i-need-diet-sunkist-cold-crisp-drink feeling, but it passes in no time
    Ha! I still get this too (except for Diet Coke). Wonder how long it'll be before that urge/instinct goes away?

norcalgal is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    iced tea, blended iced coffee (heavy cream, coffee, ice, yum), if you want a cold bubbly thing to drink invest in a soda maker. u can buy flavoured essences that have 0 sweeteners to put into the water like berry, orange, lemon/lime etc. fizz up the water and u got yourself a tasty fizzy icy refreshment.
    "The first wealth is health."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast