Page 1 of 883 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny CW moments page

annadragon is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I was stuck in a carpool to an out of town meeting with some colleagues yesterday. One of them has a PhD in nutrition. Our building hosted a "sno-ball" party, which is a quintessential summer treat in NOLA. Its basically shaved ice with a ton of sugary syrup.

My colleague got the chocolate mocha and then complained when he spill some and stained his pants. Someone else commented that he should have gotten the coconut flavor. He replied, "But I don't want all those saturated fatty acids". Me: /headpalm

You'll gulp down a ton of sugar without batting an eye but fear the notion that the coconut flavoring (most probably synthetic) has "omg! SFAs!!!" in it. /boggle.

Any other CW funny moments from the board?

gazb is offline Junior Member

Yes.

A guy I know who's recently started working out and trying to eat healthy: "I hadn't realised how much saturated fat a cake contains, it's worrying!"

Yes, he's worried about the saturated fat content of a CAKE, which is made almost entirely of white flour and sugar. Sigh.

My non-Primal colleague just had a double-masectomy (not funny), but now she eats mostly raw and vegetarian meals only.....and drinks like 2 cans of diet coke a day and snorts at my eating meat and saturated fat....

:-/

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

SF- That IS ironic, but fats have been linked to feeding cancers (I just learned). Apparently there are certain fatty acids that certain cencers need, so they tell women with a high risk of breast cancer to go on a low fat diet.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

annadragon is offline Junior Member

Hey Tara, do you recall which types of breast cancers those were? ER/PR positive or negative or HER2/neu or something else?

Without looking at the literature I would surmise that hormone receptor positive cancers could be stimulated by fatty acids but supposition in this case could be bad.

Tara, but these were linked by 'processed' saturated oils I would bet, no?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Good (probable) catch, SF!

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

TT. As far as I know, the fats linked to inflammation (and therefore potentially cancer) are PUFAs with abnormally high ratios of w-6:w-3. Saturated and monounsaturated fats should be fine.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Miriam Guest

Hehe, yesterday my work social club had a buffet breakfast and after my fill of fried eggs sunny side up and bacon I was full (while the rest still ate the pastries, pancakes and toast plus the bacon and eggs) and I said lucky I didn’t bring my lunch as this was enough to last me until dinner time, which was true, and the guy next to me was shocked and said if I didn’t eat lunch my metabolism would slow down and cause weight gain! I stupidly said I quiet often miss meals if I am not hungry and you should have heard them all, oh my gosh it was hilarious, like breakfast is the most important meal of the day and if I don’t eat it I am risking health problems and I need carbohydrates for energy, I should be eating 6 small meals a day otherwise I will wither up and die, etc…it really is a no win argument with them so I just shut up and sat there knowing I was doing the right thing for me.

Tarlach is offline Member

I love how people pull out the word 'metabolism' like it is some mysterious force that makes you thinner.

If they believe calories in=calories out, why would they worry about how fast food is processed?

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Page 1 of 883 1231151101501 ... LastLast