Page 9 of 881 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109509 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny CW moments page 9

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Oh, my good God.

How did you end up handling this?

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

Yes I did an unplanned IF. I thanked him for thinking of me but said I wasn't really hungry after the big dinner we had last night and I was going to run down to the school playground and get in a quick workout. I did and it was great. Doing pull ups on the swing set, et.

I just checked the Nutri-Grain website and here is the ingredient list for the filling of their "Blackberry" bars:

FILLING: HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, GLYCERIN, BLACKBERRIES, SUGAR, WATER, APPLE PUREE CONCENTRATE, SODIUM CITRATE, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SODIUM ALGINATE, CITRIC ACID, METHYLCELLULOSE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MALIC ACID, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, CARAMEL COLOR, RED #40, BLUE #1.

My stomach churns every time I see their commercial on TV about the person changing their daily routine to make "healthier" choices.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

:-X

Kinda makes me want to cough up a hairball when I read those ingredients. Nice save in a difficult situation!

maba is offline Senior Member

That's awesome Kuno! Isn't it sad that your Doc thinks you're an exception when the numbers are all right after following a healthy diet? *headslap*

This afternoon, I made a quick run to the grocery store and one of my co-workers accompanied me. I picked up a couple of B&G's 85% chocolate and mentioned to her how much I like them. She started reading the label and pointed out that it has 65% SFAs. The Chip Ahoy cookies she snacks on are a healthier option perhaps. *headslap again*

tina Guest

New to the forms, but this particular thread made me inclined to post...

I have a friend who basically LIVES on pasta. Mac and Cheese, Pasta Roni, Pasta Salad you name it and she'll choose it over meat or veggie any day of the week.

This friend and I were discussing breakfast and of course eggs and she said "I ALWAYS buy the omega 3 enhanced eggs" Then she proceeded to tell me that she ALWAYS separates the the yolks out and eats the whites since you know, she doesn't want high cholesterol.

I calmly informed her that she was throwing away those healthy omega 3's she was spending the extra dollar on. Her and her boyfriend were both quite troubled and confused by this news and I still don't think they believe me.

gazb is offline Junior Member

I love this thread!

There's a couple of shops in my city called "Real Foods". I went into one to get coconut oil (which, to their credit, they had in stock) but was amazed by the amount of processed crap and "frankenfoods" that they were selling, considering their name.

Some highlights:

- Egg free mayo, involving lots of soy and veg oil. They also had an "olive oil mayo", which was made with lots of veg oil and a tiny bit of olive oil.

- Cooking oils made from things that I had no idea you could even extract an oil from.

- An entire grains room. Big sacks full of oats, muesli, etc., so you could get a bag and shovel the stuff in with a spade. No shortage of bread either. And some gluten-free bread subsitutes made from potatoes and other starchy stuff.

- Bags of pure fructose. Yes, one can actually buy bags of pure fructose!

- A whole range of veggie "fake meat": Quorn, soy-based... erm... things, etc.., and non-dairy cheese. I'm not trying to advocate dairy products, but after looking at the ingredients I'd choose the dairy over that rubbish any day. Naturally these fake meats and cheeses were advertised as low fat and healthy.

- No meat whatsoever, it was all completely vegetarian! If they want to be a vegetarian store then fair enough, but they shouldn't be calling it "Real Foods", I can't think of any food more "real" than a big juicy steak! Unfortunately health food stores that sell quality meat products (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc.) are very rare here.

Overall the number of "substitute" products amazed me. Do vegetarians really want to eat fake bacon? I already made my point on fake cheese; milk's a similar story, I know pasturised milk isn't very healthy but surely it's better than a soy and sunflower oil blend or a rice based one?

maba is offline Senior Member

Anyone seen the new Snapple ad? I saw it on to tv last night and their tag line was - Real Green Tea, real Black Tea, Real Sugar! I suppose it was made with HFCS before, and now using cane sugar instead is considered a tout-worthy fact!! *Foreheadslap*

Tishkaminx Guest

To the UK guys on here:

Holland & Barretts anyone? And they call it a health food shop. I think they only sell all those suppliments to make up for the defficencies you'd get by eating thier veggie frankenfoods.

I walked out empyty handed. (aAnd they're chocolate covered Brazils always used to give me the worst migranes)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Similarly, I've noticed over at Hole Foods that if you took away the foods with added sugar, of any kind, or soy, the shelves would be half empty.

Hey, but they are low fat, right? Wait until these foodies start getting all those cancers and metabolic sydromes. "WTF?? I've been eating plenty of lowfathearthealthywholegrainorganic foods!"

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

I was more about the yogurt Brazils - problem was I couldn't stop eating them until the bag was gone until which point I'd be nauseous and sweaty. God knows how much sugar was in those.

H&B aren't bad for cheap CLO, though.

Page 9 of 881 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109509 ... LastLast