Page 803 of 838 FirstFirst ... 303703753793801802803804805813 ... LastLast
Results 8,021 to 8,030 of 8379

Thread: Funny CW moments page 803

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I have a friend, very health conscious, who uses only e.v. olive oil and butter as fats, they always get unsalted butter. When I expressed a preference for salted butter they complained about how unhealthy it was compared to unsalted.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborcat View Post
    avoid salt (eh, not sure about the salt--isn't it false that it effects blood pressure?)
    Yeah, salt does raise your blood pressure, so people with high BP should watch their salt intake (and only them). I never used to salt food when eating conventional foods (and used to lecture my parents about their salt intake), and my BP was 160/100. Now I liberally salt pretty much everything except bacon, and my BP is 110/80.

There is a LOT of hidden salt in processed food.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

lark42 is offline Senior Member
    Standing in line at a drugstore today behind a couple: she, snow-white haired hunched over - 80's perhaps; he very tall and younger - maybe son? 60's?
    and they're buying a cart full of "Nutritional Drinks", (the kind marketed especially towards the elderly as healthy supplements to give them a boost) and he's arguing with the cashier about the price:

Cashier: that's $34 please
    Him (indignant): What?! That's not right! $34 for # packs?
    Cashier: yes, please, $34
    Him (loud and rude): No! Did you ring in tax? There's no tax. There's no tax on food!
    At which point he wheels around to me, angry beady eyes glaring out from bushy waggling eyebrows, and yells!
    "THERE'S NO TAX ON FOOD! THIS IS FOOD, RIGHT?"
    Me: ummmm, well sir, ..... technically ...., er, have you ever glanced at the ingredient label?
    Which earns me a withering stare,
    and they leave.

Price discrepancy - because he didn't factor the bottle return deposit we have here

And, just to make the cashier's day as she tells me the total for my packages of feminine protection:
    Me (with a wink): Oh! Is there tax on this?
    Which is a rant for a whole 'nother day, but I did make the clerk laugh.

Rudeness is never appropriate

Lark
    "Unfortunately, humans rely less on instincts and more on culture to determine what they eat" - Marcia Pelchat

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Re: salt, here's Mark's recent post about it: Is Salt Healthy? | Marks Daily Apple

Like everything else, "reduced salt = reduced BP" is not an easy answer.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Oh How I love having become people's tag line.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

SteveO is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    I do have high blood pressure. My doc is paleo/primal friendly but still tells me to watch salt intake and has me on meds. Its genetic in my case.
    Makes me wonder... what are you genetically predisposed to eating/avoiding? Can you find those things and improve? That would be a cool experiment.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Not a super funny thing, but my parents just don't seem to get it.

When visiting my mom, I kept needing to explain my allergies (specifically wheat and soy). She would ask things like "wait, can you eat pasta?" or "I have some breaded fish sticks. Wait, that's wheat?" or she would hand me a ice cream bar and I would ask what the ingredients were, and she would respond "It's chocolate, not soy." (of course pretty much all mass produced chocolate anything has soy and/or wheat in it).

Then my dad. He travels a lot, and he always brings me home chocolate. I started getting specific, and said 'make sure it has no soy or nuts in it!' So what does he do? He comes home with hazelnut dark chocolate. I guess he thought that because it wasn't milk chocolate, that it didn't have soy, because they sometimes use soy milk in milk chocolate (I don't understand the logic either), and completely bunked on the hazelnut thing because it was a nut paste, no actual physically whole nuts were visible. Like, it's an allergy thing, not a matter of preference on texture and taste. Why can't he read the ingredients? In this particular case they were in German, but below them they were printed in additional languages (including English) as per the norm in European packaging.

At least I have my boyfriend to dump this junk on to avoid being offensive to my parents. But seriously, how do you explain to older people that grew up eating crap all their lives, that you are allergic to said crap, and said crap is in *everything*? (without offending them, if possible).
    Last edited by kathleen; 01-09-2014 at 11:17 AM.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Refontai is online now Senior Member
    I was talking to my boss about race fueling (he runs marathons, I stick with halfs for fun) and when I commented I don't excessively carb load and dont eat wheat he said that you shouldn't eat wheat at because its bad for your stomach and he avoids it. Mini mental celebration. Then he told me his best pre-race fuel was a grand slam at Denny's with pancakes, toast, an English muffin, and something else.

A little probing later, I realize he thinks white bread products are made from something besides wheat. I've seen this a lot on this thread but it never happened to me before! I just shook my head and backed away slowly
    Last edited by Refontai; 01-09-2014 at 11:31 AM.
    You have to fall in love with the process of becoming great.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    At least I have my boyfriend to dump this junk on to avoid being offensive to my parents. But seriously, how do you explain to older people that grew up eating crap all their lives, that you are allergic to said crap, and said crap is in *everything*? (without offending them, if possible).
    Honestly, give it to friends and be happy your parents still have the means and capacity to try and do kind things for you. I would kill for my father to have been healthy enough in his later years to travel let alone bring me food gifts.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    So standing in line at Starbucks (I was under-caffeinated - don't judge) behind two young mothers. The second mother is feeding her 14 month old (yes, I got to overhear all about their kids' ages, sleeping habits etc) handfuls of chex mix while we wait. The first mother gets to the counter and says, "I'm being good today so a strawberry smoothie and some banana nut bread." Apparently 700 calories of strawberry syrup/ice and prepackaged banana bread is being good. The second mom ordered black coffee and then got her kid a piece of banana bread as well because a 14 month year old needs that on top of the 2-3 cups of chex mix she was eating as a snack.

It made me a little sad. I am all about occasional treats and all but wasting 700 calories on crappy Starbucks baked goods and smoothies with no real fruit evident is just not the way to go.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony