Page 800 of 924 FirstFirst ... 300700750790798799800801802810850900 ... LastLast
Results 7,991 to 8,000 of 9239

Thread: Funny CW moments

  1. #7991
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,116
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    My mom recently got the issues of Time with the greatest health discoveries of 2014. I actually quite liked the article where they were talking about low fat and such, and one scientist mentioned the fact that taking 'good' fats out of things and replacing them with sugar and starch doesn't help. Of course, the 'good' fat he mentioned was vegetable but whatever. What was HILARIOUS was right on the next page there was another article talking about how chocolate lovers can rejoice! Soon chocolate will have half the fat as we've learned how to remove the fat and replace it with sugar and fruit juice!

    The juxtaposition cracked me up.
    Uh oh better start stockpiling the full fat stuff here in the land of the morning 120 minute strenuous PT session. SSSSTAY AWAY FROM MAI CHOCOLATE!

  2. #7992
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    42
    I was watching a Foodtv show at work called Eat Shrink and be Merry.
    The show's premise is to take unhealthy foods and try to make them healthier.
    I wanted to bash the women's heads as they took out the fat content meanwhile the TV graphic showed the sugar content of the foods rising.

  3. #7993
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFrancis View Post
    I was watching a Foodtv show at work called Eat Shrink and be Merry.
    The show's premise is to take unhealthy foods and try to make them healthier.
    I wanted to bash the women's heads as they took out the fat content meanwhile the TV graphic showed the sugar content of the foods rising.
    I can understand how someone could think fat is "bad". I can understand how someone could think adding whole grains in place of white flour is "good". What I don't understand, is how someone couldn't think sugar isn't equally as bad as fat! Even before I knew what I know now, I knew adding refined sugar wasn't a healthier option (I may have considered equivalent) than adding fat.

  4. #7994
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    445
    A guy I'm friends with on Facebook mentioned having very high blood pressure and asked for advice. Hilarity ensues.
    (I'm paraphrasing for the most part--quoting directly seems kind of douchy[er?] somehow)

    Response #1: passion fruit juice - apparently it lowers blood pressure "super fast" (sugar lowers blood pressure? Really?)
    avoid salt (eh, not sure about the salt--isn't it false that it effects blood pressure?)
    eat garlic (again, not sure about this one--I know garlic cures a lot of little problems, but not sure about this one)
    drink lots of water - something about peeing lowers blood pressure (news to me--could be something I don't know, but it sounds weird)

    Response #2: Eliminate stress (eh, I kind of agree, but that's more treating a symptom than the actual problem)

    Response #3: Eat healthy and exercise (too bad most people don't know what that means)

    Response #4: See a doctor and get some medicine to lower it (like statins? Yeah, great idea) while you work on diet and exercise (see above)

    Response #5: Shift to a mainly plant-based diet and try to avoid animal products (this was my favorite--CW at its best)

    Response #6: Dates and figs lower blood pressure (fruit again? Is this more CW nonsense, or is this something I don't know)

    Response #7: Me telling him to watch the documentary Fat Head with a link to it.

    I hope he listens to me instead of them. Tho I admit I don't know everything about how to lower blood pressure, a lot of the above (fruit, garlic, etc) sounds kind of snake oil-ish to me.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)


    Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

  5. #7995
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborcat View Post
    A guy I'm friends with on Facebook mentioned having very high blood pressure and asked for advice. Hilarity ensues.
    (I'm paraphrasing for the most part--quoting directly seems kind of douchy[er?] somehow)

    Response #1: passion fruit juice - apparently it lowers blood pressure "super fast" (sugar lowers blood pressure? Really?)
    avoid salt (eh, not sure about the salt--isn't it false that it effects blood pressure?)
    eat garlic (again, not sure about this one--I know garlic cures a lot of little problems, but not sure about this one)
    drink lots of water - something about peeing lowers blood pressure (news to me--could be something I don't know, but it sounds weird)

    Response #2: Eliminate stress (eh, I kind of agree, but that's more treating a symptom than the actual problem)

    Response #3: Eat healthy and exercise (too bad most people don't know what that means)

    Response #4: See a doctor and get some medicine to lower it (like statins? Yeah, great idea) while you work on diet and exercise (see above)

    Response #5: Shift to a mainly plant-based diet and try to avoid animal products (this was my favorite--CW at its best)

    Response #6: Dates and figs lower blood pressure (fruit again? Is this more CW nonsense, or is this something I don't know)

    Response #7: Me telling him to watch the documentary Fat Head with a link to it.

    I hope he listens to me instead of them. Tho I admit I don't know everything about how to lower blood pressure, a lot of the above (fruit, garlic, etc) sounds kind of snake oil-ish to me.
    Haha what a load of cw cr*p. I have low blood pressure to the point that doctors always comment on it. I add salt (the pink Celtic stuff) to every meal and always have and don't understand why it's feared. People I know who have kids seem to be terrified of their kids ingesting ANY salt. I'm talking to the point of being afraid of salted butter-not advocating covering kids food in salt. My opinion-it's probably partly genetic anyway.

  6. #7996
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,851
    Response #4. No statins are for cholesterol, you want a beta blocker for that.

    Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

  7. #7997
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    129
    In hospital after having bub early sunday morning, and I'm brought breakfast in the birth suite. 2 midwives have already confirmed with me by this time that I am 'gluten free' (grain free was wayyyy too hard apparently)
    Breakfast consisted of toast with condiments and weetbix with skim milk. I told the lady I was intolerant, and she picked up the milk with the apology 'I'm sorry, but I don't have any soy milk on the trolley. ..' WTF?
    Explained it was wheat I couldn't have, so she picked up the toast with a vague murmur that they didn't have any gf toast, and to make sure my food preferences where on the system, as telling her face to face wasn't sufficient...
    It's been in my notes since May...

  8. #7998
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,116
    Quote Originally Posted by vikyb View Post
    In hospital after having bub early sunday morning, and I'm brought breakfast in the birth suite. 2 midwives have already confirmed with me by this time that I am 'gluten free' (grain free was wayyyy too hard apparently)
    Breakfast consisted of toast with condiments and weetbix with skim milk. I told the lady I was intolerant, and she picked up the milk with the apology 'I'm sorry, but I don't have any soy milk on the trolley. ..' WTF?
    Explained it was wheat I couldn't have, so she picked up the toast with a vague murmur that they didn't have any gf toast, and to make sure my food preferences where on the system, as telling her face to face wasn't sufficient...
    It's been in my notes since May...
    It's stuff like this that scares me about hospitals and at the same time assures me that I won't be out of my league.

  9. #7999
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    981
    Garlic actually does lower blood pressure.

    Sent from my GT-I8190 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

  10. #8000
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    177
    Shop Now
    Not a CW moment but I was pleasantly surprised to see this in my local park about feeding the ducks bread:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •