Page 8 of 893 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108508 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny CW moments page 8

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

This is a second-hand funny that comes from my mom, a type 2 diabetic. Her insurance company mandates nutritional counselling & she was talking to the dietician who informed her that white cheeses usually had less fat than orange cheeses. So, for the lower fat cheese choice she should choose white cheddar over yellow cheddar. Actual difference = coloring. My mom stopped listening right then. We had a huge laugh over that. Seriously, though, I saw the "diabetic" diet the insurance company gave her a few years ago & it started off with 6 servings of grain/bread products a day - not whole grain, either!

She finally started listening to me and now I'm helping her transition to a primal diet. Hurray! Go Mom!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Good one, Deb. It absolutely boggles me that the official party line for diabetics is to eat more carbs. Lessee, you ate so many carbs that you have T2, so the solution is to eat more carbs! My car engine is on fire, so I think I'll put it out with gasoline! The CW is so pervasive that even in the face of obvious paradox, it marches on.

Good for her insurance company, at least they are trying to do the right thing.

It would be fun to have her go Primal, improve, and then on her next check up and with the folks so sure that their high carb diet did the trick, tell them what did.

OK, my Funny CW moment happened today. Actually, it wasn't CW but raw veganism.

I took my dad to the barber's, one guy ahead of him in the chair. As he was paying and getting ready to leave, I overheard something about dastardly GMO soybeans. Mike, the barber, just didn't get it. He has a large belly, about 60. I said something about the problem isn't the GMO, it's the soybeans. Estrogenic and cancer causing.

The guy left and Mike asked me, "Have you ever seen anyone look so unhealthy?" And it was true, just kind of a dullness in the eyes, thin. Mike continued and mentioned that he doesn't eat meat or eggs and only raw foods. He had never heard of veganism (who the hell did until a few decades ago?) so I brought him up to speed.

Another unhealthy eat-all-the-wrong-things cultist.

After t

Griff is offline Senior Member

Last night we went to El Torito. I ordered their ultimate fajitas - about 4-5 oz. each of fajita steak, chicken breast, and shrimp, along with peppers and onions, and a Mexican Caesar salad without the tortilla strips. Since it's El Torito, every entree comes with rice, beans, tortillas and corn cake. I told the waiter not to bring any of the rice-beans-corn cake-tortillas, and he said fine, and said "And you want me to tell them to leave off the butter, too, right?"

"No!" I said. "Butter is GOOD."

He looked at me like I was crazy, but I got my food the way I wanted it. Later, his boss came over and asked why I wanted to change the dinner so much, and no amount of explanation got through to him that no, we couldn't have corn chips or corn tortillas or rice or beans or anything with carbs in it. When he said "But you can have *flour* tortillas, right?" I had to laugh. He just. didn't. get it. He was horrified.

CW at its finest. *sigh* (But their tableside guacamole tastes great eaten with a fork!)

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

At my college's orientation, they emphasized SO much on health and good eating habits yada yada... then after the assembly, guess what was for lunch? Sandwhich, cookies, chips and soda. White, not even brown, bread for the sandwhich! Some guy behind me on the line complained that they didn't even have a vegetarian sandwhich. Not even CW believers would agree that that's healthy! WTF!

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

DebFM is offline Senior Member

@On The Bayou

I did put my mom on as primal of a diet as she would go on. She&#39;s doing no sugar & sprouted grain bread only one or twice a week. She&#39;s doing great! Her blood sugar is under control *and* her doctor took her off her diabetes medication. We were both really psyched! She&#39;s been on that for about 10 years. Woohoo!

That&#39;s great, Debfm! Not sure why you directed the news to me, but hey, I&#39;ll always take good news!

One of the reasons that I&#39;ve gone Paleo/Primal in diet is because it works. I&#39;m not meaning just weight loss, my primary mission for another four months, but all those other pesky health related issues.

You just can&#39;t ignore so much evidence like this, anecdotal as it may be.

Grok on!

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

A little over a month ago (pre-PB), my doctor was muttering ominously about my Metabolic Syndrome. I came in because I was depressed (just got laid off from work), tired and putting on weight. I had one visit with her before my health insurance ran out.

She wanted to start me on an anti-depressant, and also said she was considering both an oral blood-sugar med (as a "precaution") and threatened me with a blood-pressure med as well.

Jeez. And this was me doing 45 minutes of really hard cardio every day! Fortunately, an old friend of mine had suggested PB; I showed her the link to MDA, and told her I wanted to try this first. Although she looked at me like I was smoking crack, she told me to give it a shot and come back in a month.

Two days ago, I went back. I had lost 6 pounds, my blood pressure was down to 110/65. Labs were awesome.

Now she&#39;s joking that I must be a "space alien" or something, because this shouldn&#39;t be working so well, but at least she admits that I&#39;m a HEALTHY space alien.

No meds for me. Happy Girl.

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

Yeah Kuno1chi! Another PB success story in the making!

One CW moment happened this summer when we were staying with my brother in law and his family. He is quite a bit overweight and has had a couple of medical scares in the past year. I gave him a copy of P90X and he was doing what he could but hasn&#39;t modified his eating (or drinking) habits.

Since he thinks I&#39;m a "health nut", for breakfast one morning he put out cereal, bagels, and donuts, and then he handed me a box of Nutri-Grain bars and said "We tried to find something healthy at the store for you".

And Grok Wept.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

And you thanked them in your head for an unplanned IF!

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 8 of 893 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108508 ... LastLast