Page 784 of 841 FirstFirst ... 284684734774782783784785786794834 ... LastLast
Results 7,831 to 7,840 of 8406

Thread: Funny CW moments page 784

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I was out shopping an tried on a pair of slacks. A lot of us are familiar with the pattern of - if it fits in the hips and thighs it is huge in the waist, but you can't get the smaller size up over your legs. But these pants were even stranger. Huge in the waist, large in the butt and thighs, but the calves were so tight I was worried I'd split the seam! In the CALF! So odd.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

RittenRemedy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Introvert_Huntress View Post
    Fair point. But there are also tons and tons of stories on here about people who were eating CW-healthy.. they might have been just above their goal weight, or on their goal weight, and do all the right things and still gain weight, or high cholesterol, or other health problems.

It wouldn't surprise me if that man would be one of them one day, or if his friends one day tell him: "Come on, have a pizza with us, you've lost so much weight, you can handle it!"

The same when someone offers me a muffin or some kind of candy and I decline politely. They always give me a once-over and then tell me: "You can take it, you're skinny."
    I want to tell them: "And how do you think I stay skinny?"

GAH, "skinny" doesn't sound like a word anymore after you've written it down a couple of times! I actually Googled it, to make sure it was the right word!
    Heck I was a fat whole foods vegan for awhile. Still trying to figure out how THAT happened on a daily budget of 1500 calories. Even on primal I won't lose at 1500, though I won't gain or have any energy at all. I guess my body just bucks everything CW.

Here's my CW moment; I've been watching clips of English celebrity chefs because I have no kitchen and it's feast cooking season. Jamie Oliver has apparently discovered cauliflower rice, which I was unaware was "totally no carb." Wait, it gets better. One of the comments down below said "yay a low carb meal!" The rice was for sweet potato chickpea curry. What do people think carbs are?

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I saw a very obese person (like more obese than The Biggest Loser contestants are...) in the grocery store... His cart:
    Veggies, veggies, veggies, salad, whole grain bread, brown bread, deli meat, cheese, bottled sparkling water, fruit, fruit, a couple of sauces.
    a lot of people buy healthy food and don't end up eating it. They buy pizza or fast food or whatever because veggies/salad/fruit/deli meat in absence of fat is miserable. I know when I used to eat CW healthy that many days my lunch was totally unappealing so I went out for something or bought a bag of candy.

It's such an unsatisfying way to eat. Right now I'm doing a limited diet, but it includes a ton of fat. Even though I eat the same thing day in/day out, I guess because of the fat it never leaves me wanting something else.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBNewby View Post
    I'll play along, why is the egg unfertilized?
    If it's a chicken egg, it's because some breeds of chicken regularly lay decoy eggs to improve survival chances for their real babies. (This is why most of these breeds were selected as farm chickens: they lay eggs more often than they need to mate.) They lay the unfertilized decoys pretty much anywhere, meaning an animal is more likely to find and eat a decoy than a fertilized egg. Having eaten, it is more likely to go away. That, combined with an angry hen guarding the real nest, gave chickens an edge as far as survival goes.
    It's like a chicken-period, too, allowing the bird to release any unfertilized ovum and prepare for potential mating.
    We've simply bred them to lay EVEN MORE eggs per week and kept them away from roosters, but unfertilized eggs aren't unnatural, by any means.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Because we'd probably be grossed out to crack an egg into our omelet and find it all bloody inside. Commercial hens don't ever see roosters and eggs from small farms are candled so that they separate out the fertilized ones.

If you come across a source of fertilized eggs, give them a try. Old timey bodybuilders and strongmen swore by them.
    Does something gruesome happen in the 24hrs before an egg might be collected? All our eggs come from pastured hens that have access to a couple of roosters. (Or maybe its the other way around - the roosters have access - because according to the farmer, they're the ones who care about getting it on.) Maybe 1/3 of the eggs have a little blood spot next to the yolk. I haven't noticed a difference in taste. Has something really happened to make them more nutritious?
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    Does something gruesome happen in the 24hrs before an egg might be collected? All our eggs come from pastured hens that have access to a couple of roosters. (Or maybe its the other way around - the roosters have access - because according to the farmer, they're the ones who care about getting it on.) Maybe 1/3 of the eggs have a little blood spot next to the yolk. I haven't noticed a difference in taste. Has something really happened to make them more nutritious?
    Are you sure he doesn't candle the eggs and get rid of the fertilized ones? I'm not sure if the little blood spot means it's fertilized, the photos I googled showed a lot of bloodiness, but I guess it would depend on how long they were left under the chicken to incubate.

I really don't know if there's actually any benefit to eating fertilized eggs. I was just suggesting that if anyone had a source for them, he or she could give them a try and report back.
    The Champagne of Beards

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Here is a fertilized egg. The ones with a speck of blood are not. Those are simply a broken capillary from the chicken as the yolk was forming.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Are you sure he doesn't candle the eggs and get rid of the fertilized ones? I'm not sure if the little blood spot means it's fertilized, the photos I googled showed a lot of bloodiness, but I guess it would depend on how long they were left under the chicken to incubate.
    No need to candle the eggs if they are collected daily; if the farmers sells the eggs I would imagine he collects them daily. I know we do and we don't sell them and we are fairly lax in our hen husbandry.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

momrn is offline Member
    We've gotten the bloody eggs before. It's pretty gross. But we've also gotten a couple of eggs with prefectly formed tiny chicks on the yolk. That was pretty cool! We pulled out our microscope and gave it a good look. I think the bloody eggs are something besides just a fertilized egg because they one with the chick wasn't bloody at all.

I would eat the little chick egg.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    No need to candle the eggs if they are collected daily; if the farmers sells the eggs I would imagine he collects them daily. I know we do and we don't sell them and we are fairly lax in our hen husbandry.
    Well, I stand (slightly) corrected. Did you ever eat a fertilized one, UF? I'm definitely not the authority on this issue. I don't have a single chicken (although I've thought about getting a big terrarium for my condo with 1 or 2 hens, but I've been counseled by a former zookeeper that I'll regret it).
    The Champagne of Beards