Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 783 of 923 FirstFirst ... 283683733773781782783784785793833883 ... LastLast
Results 7,821 to 7,830 of 9222

Thread: Funny CW moments

  1. #7821
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    10,032
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    Does something gruesome happen in the 24hrs before an egg might be collected? All our eggs come from pastured hens that have access to a couple of roosters. (Or maybe its the other way around - the roosters have access - because according to the farmer, they're the ones who care about getting it on.) Maybe 1/3 of the eggs have a little blood spot next to the yolk. I haven't noticed a difference in taste. Has something really happened to make them more nutritious?
    Are you sure he doesn't candle the eggs and get rid of the fertilized ones? I'm not sure if the little blood spot means it's fertilized, the photos I googled showed a lot of bloodiness, but I guess it would depend on how long they were left under the chicken to incubate.

    I really don't know if there's actually any benefit to eating fertilized eggs. I was just suggesting that if anyone had a source for them, he or she could give them a try and report back.
    The Champagne of Beards

  2. #7822
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,968
    Here is a fertilized egg. The ones with a speck of blood are not. Those are simply a broken capillary from the chicken as the yolk was forming.

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #7823
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,394
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Are you sure he doesn't candle the eggs and get rid of the fertilized ones? I'm not sure if the little blood spot means it's fertilized, the photos I googled showed a lot of bloodiness, but I guess it would depend on how long they were left under the chicken to incubate.
    No need to candle the eggs if they are collected daily; if the farmers sells the eggs I would imagine he collects them daily. I know we do and we don't sell them and we are fairly lax in our hen husbandry.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

  4. #7824
    We've gotten the bloody eggs before. It's pretty gross. But we've also gotten a couple of eggs with prefectly formed tiny chicks on the yolk. That was pretty cool! We pulled out our microscope and gave it a good look. I think the bloody eggs are something besides just a fertilized egg because they one with the chick wasn't bloody at all.

    I would eat the little chick egg.

  5. #7825
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    10,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    No need to candle the eggs if they are collected daily; if the farmers sells the eggs I would imagine he collects them daily. I know we do and we don't sell them and we are fairly lax in our hen husbandry.
    Well, I stand (slightly) corrected. Did you ever eat a fertilized one, UF? I'm definitely not the authority on this issue. I don't have a single chicken (although I've thought about getting a big terrarium for my condo with 1 or 2 hens, but I've been counseled by a former zookeeper that I'll regret it).
    The Champagne of Beards

  6. #7826
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Delaware Valley
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by momrn View Post
    We've gotten the bloody eggs before. It's pretty gross. But we've also gotten a couple of eggs with prefectly formed tiny chicks on the yolk. That was pretty cool! We pulled out our microscope and gave it a good look. I think the bloody eggs are something besides just a fertilized egg because they one with the chick wasn't bloody at all.
    Wow, finding a tiny chick would be so cool! And probably put DD off farm eggs for life, lol. Do you know how long it takes for something recognizable to form?
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

  7. #7827
    canio6's Avatar
    canio6 Guest
    Went to the food co-op (healthy food store/hippy haven) to get gelatin. They do not stock it, but they do carry 6 variaties of vegan 'cheese.'


    Last night my wife was eating tic-tacs.

    Her - "They are only 120 calories for the whole pack!"
    Me - "Or you could eat 120 calories of food..."
    Her - "They are food"

    *sighs*

  8. #7828
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    tn
    Posts
    9,587
    if they were orange tic tacs she might have a point
    beautiful
    yeah you are

    Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

  9. #7829
    canio6's Avatar
    canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    if they were orange tic tacs she might have a point
    They were multicolored. K doesn't discriminate in her love of all things tictac.

  10. #7830
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    8,726
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Last night my wife was eating tic-tacs.

    Her - "They are only 120 calories for the whole pack!"
    Me - "Or you could eat 120 calories of food..."
    Her - "They are food"

    *sighs*

    Mac Hall :: Archive Read this comic and then the next one (one of my favorite webcomics ever, no longer being produced).
    Depression Lies

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •