Page 775 of 901 FirstFirst ... 275675725765773774775776777785825875 ... LastLast
Results 7,741 to 7,750 of 9007

Thread: Funny CW moments page 775

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Funny CW moments

Quote Originally Posted by The_Introvert_Huntress View Post
    ^ Huh. I believe I read somewhere that all the vitamins and minerals (calcuim etc. etc.) are mostly in the full fat stuff. Skim milk has less vitamins and minerals because apparently when the milk is skimmed, they get taken out as well.
    Just something I read, though. Might not be true.
    There are vitamins and minerals in skim milk. Whether one's body can absorb it is a different issue. Fat soluble vitamins (D, E, etc) are only absorbed when taken with fat. Then vitamins are usually cofactors for enzymes processing minerals (ex: vit D & calcium) so those minerals won't be absorbed either in absence of fat, because the vitamins aren't.

Same with spinach. Tons of nutrients there, but whether the human body can readily absorb it is a different story.

Water soluble vitamins (B, C, etc) can be absorbed anytime. However, it also means excess gets flushed out instead of stored in body fat so to get a good nutritional profile of those over time one should eat a steady supply of food and supplements rich in those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by orielwen View Post
    Not so much funny as sad: on another forum someone was saying that a Finnish friend of hers was horrified that UK advice is to feed children full fat dairy. Apparently in Finland they are told to feed their kids the skimmed stuff and
    make up the calories with vegetable oil!
    This is entirely true. There was a study done, I think in the early 1980s here, and I'd have to dig up the name because I can't remember it, but it essentially "proved" that all animal based products, especially dairy, was terrible for your heart health. I haven't actually read this study and knowing how the actual findings of studies get really twisted in the general public, I couldn't say if what the study actually found was a correlation/causality with dairy and heart disease or if there were other life style changes involved with the study groups. However, it's the single bane of our existence here. Every time eating full fat anything comes up when I visit my dad and his GF (especially if there are friends of the GF around as this is when she becomes really condescending) she refuses to listen to anything I have to say about nutrition or anything about my own personal diet based on this single study where the rate of heart disease supposedly decrease with the implementation of low fat food items.
    And a lot of people quote this same study. Especially if they're in the age group of 40-65. This has actually affected my family relations. I just don't think I need to take on that sort of negativity in my life.. even when it costs me a parent.

So yeah, most of the milk sold in stores (and dairy products in general) is low fat or fat free. The milk served in schools is also low fat. Margarine or similar items are recommended by public health officials ALWAYS for weight loss, for treating high blood pressure and diabetes. And people are sicker than ever.
    But it must be all that fat they're secretly eating and lying about, right?

Ok, the study that I couldn't remember the name was was the North Karelia Project. So not entirely a study but a multi-faceted project to enhance the general health of the inhabitants of North Karelia (area in the northern part of Finland, between Finland and Russia) that included distributing information on the health risks of smoking, heavy drinking, lack of exercise AND what was at the time known about nutrition and to also extend health care to as many people as possible. From what I've managed to quickly google, the project started in 1972 and included no comparison groups, but was generally considered a success and touted as a prime example of the benefits of low fat nutrition. Apparently the significance of the other variables were almost or entirely overlooked when drawing conclusions just that "we successfully lowered the LDL numbers of the North Karelian population".

Apparently there were similar projects done in several other countries at the same time that yielded different kinds of results but these have been ignored. Yet another example of positive bias in study publication.

The study has been published in English as The North Karelia project : from North Karelia to national action (by Pekka Puska et al.). I think I might want to take this out from my local library....

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrainInABody View Post
    This is entirely true. There was a study done, I think in the early 1980s here, and I'd have to dig up the name because I can't remember it, but it essentially "proved" that all animal based products, especially dairy, was terrible for your heart health.
    Sounds like the china study & forks over knives.
    But when you actually read the studies themselves your like how the hell did they get that from the study

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    10 corporations that control almost everything you buy, this chart shows how:

http://i.imgur.com/k0pv0.jpg

um, but... I don't buy ANY of that stuff...

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post

In the center of that chart they should have an obese person because all those products (except for the personal care products) contribute to obesity.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post

um, but... I don't buy ANY of that stuff...
    Nespresso is our espresso of choice for two years now. We gave up Starbucks and purchased a machine for the home. One of the best moves we ever made. Both from a financial standpoint, and a quality of espresso standpoint. Mmmmm! Can't get enough of that stuff.

We don't buy any other food on that chart (anymore).
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    In the center of that chart they should have an obese person because all those products (except for the personal care products) contribute to obesity.
    To be fair, Perrier and San Pellegrino don't contribute to obesity. XD

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    I had the big "whole egg" is bad for you discussion yesterday at work. So how my co-workers can't seem to get it in their head that cholesterol isn't all that bad for you...
    It was pretty funny that they seem to think they are always right...
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1383736017.373652.jpg

Given, I don't know whether germ includes any gluten, and they are packaged, but it still looks funny to have them right next to each other.