Page 774 of 879 FirstFirst ... 274674724764772773774775776784824874 ... LastLast
Results 7,731 to 7,740 of 8788

Thread: Funny CW moments page 774

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I mentioned my sulfite allergy and what all that entails, everything I hafta avoid, to a woman trying to help me at the grocery store. I kid you not, her response was "well, just eat it then. You can't be THAT allergic."
    Ummm... WHAT?!
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    A friend on Facebook, who is obese (after having gastric bypass surgery years ago), always has terrible health problems, is constantly hospitalized, whose obese husband has constant health problems and hospitalizations, and who asked me to help her learn paleo and then immediately gave up and went back to making cornbread mac 'n cheese or whatever for every meal, posted this today:

I guess I am the only mom that doesn't monitor the Halloween candy intake. We check it and let them go at it. I figure the sooner it's gone, the better. It usually only lasts a few days and then we are stuck with a few tootsie rolls and dum dum suckers. [Kid 1] and [Kid 2] will probably even take care of those and then we will be candy free! When I was a kid, we ate it all and got it over with. What are your thoughts?
    I kept my thoughts to myself.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    A friend on Facebook, who is obese (after having gastric bypass surgery years ago), always has terrible health problems, is constantly hospitalized, whose obese husband has constant health problems and hospitalizations, and who asked me to help her learn paleo and then immediately gave up and went back to making cornbread mac 'n cheese or whatever for every meal, posted this today:

I guess I am the only mom that doesn't monitor the Halloween candy intake. We check it and let them go at it. I figure the sooner it's gone, the better. It usually only lasts a few days and then we are stuck with a few tootsie rolls and dum dum suckers. [Kid 1] and [Kid 2] will probably even take care of those and then we will be candy free! When I was a kid, we ate it all and got it over with. What are your thoughts?
    I kept my thoughts to myself.
    When I was a kid, kids went out trick or treating in groups. When we got cold or tired we came home. Then my mother would allow us to pick out a certain number of pieces to keep, and the rest got thrown out, candy corn mixed with dirt in the bottom of my bag.

Parents would accompany their toddlers on a walk around the neighborhood.

My daughter never ate the candy that she collected. Well, maybe a piece or two, but of course she preferred the good stuff we served at home, and didn't miss those stale little candy bar bites.

Now it's a competition among adults to see how much loot they can get for their kids by busing them around to different neighborhoods for hours. And it's all about stale, adulterated store-bought candy.

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I mentioned my sulfite allergy and what all that entails, everything I hafta avoid, to a woman trying to help me at the grocery store. I kid you not, her response was "well, just eat it then. You can't be THAT allergic."
    Ummm... WHAT?!
    That's ridiculous. Not to mention rude... I think that many of us are so in tune with our bodies we actually notice it when we feel bloated (and tired, achy, and pimply in my case) after eating something that affects us (wheat! ;c) while everyone else just chalks it up to "eating too much" or "aging."

That's what I did for years. After a big pasta dinner, my whole family actually always complains of bloating. I wonder if maybe we all are sensitive. I've heard that celts have a high chance of gluten intolerance.

I was watching a show and one of the ladies brings in pumpkin muffins "gluten free!" The other characters responses were "blech" and "why?"

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think it has everything to do with the idea that "if I can eat [that thing you are allergic to], then your allergy doesn't exist." It's the ultimate n=1.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I chalked it up to stupidity and walked away. One thing my allergist said is that more people are allergic to sulfites than are diagnosed, because the symptoms vary so widely and are so closely associated with "getting old" and "normal" for your SAD American: headaches, aching joints, inflammation, digestive issues, trouble breathing or asthma attacks, fatigue, foggy headedness, etc.
    It's really not even on you can ask a server about, because the list of stuff it hides in is so damn long. You just hafta know what it can show up in and which words to watch out for.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I blame the environment. I think a major factor (but not the only factor) is maternal nutrition, in particular a low fat/low saturated fat and maybe high PUFA diet during a critical neural development period.
    Quote Originally Posted by UniqueTII View Post
    This is exactly my train of thought with this conversation. Just because something can't be "fixed" with diet doesn't make the diet not responsible in the first place. Another favorite of mine are "hereditary" diseases like heart disease and diabetes where heredity means eating the same garbage as your parents (to some extent).
    The book Deep Nutrition by Catherine Shanahan is really interesting on this subject. She explains really well how what and how we eat affect not only us, but our children and grandchildren, etc.

Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food: Catherine Shanahan, Luke Shanahan: 9780615228389: Amazon.com: Books
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    More "healthy advice" thanks to social media. She details her transition to plain Greek yogurt instead of artificially sweetened pre-made cups, which is good and gets her to eat healthy things like fruits, nuts and seeds. Then she lists her 14 favorite toppings: strawberry jam and chocolate syrup, cherrios and honey, maple syrup, more honey, pumpkin pie mix, graham crackers, peanut butter and topped with peanuts and chocolate syrup, you get the idea. A few actually did have fruit in them.

And a second one (I seriously need to get off the computer right after I post this):
    "Every time you go more than two hours or so without eating, your blood sugar drops—and that's bad news for your energy. Here's why: Food supplies the body with glucose, a type of sugar carried in the bloodstream. Our cells use glucose to make the body's prime energy transporter, adenosine triphosphate (ATP). Your brain needs it. Your muscles need it. Every cell in your body needs it. But when blood sugar drops, your cells don't have the raw materials to make ATP. And then? Everything starts to slow down. You get tired, hungry, irritable and unfocused. Grab a bite every two to four hours to keep blood sugar steady. Nosh on something within an hour of waking—that's when blood sugar is lowest."

^having been there, done that, no... just no... goodnight all!
    Last edited by RittenRemedy; 11-02-2013 at 08:26 AM.

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    Not so much funny as sad: on another forum someone was saying that a Finnish friend of hers was horrified that UK advice is to feed children full fat dairy. Apparently in Finland they are told to feed their kids the skimmed stuff and
    make up the calories with vegetable oil!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

The_Introvert_Huntress is offline Senior Member
    ^ Huh. I believe I read somewhere that all the vitamins and minerals (calcuim etc. etc.) are mostly in the full fat stuff. Skim milk has less vitamins and minerals because apparently when the milk is skimmed, they get taken out as well.
    Just something I read, though. Might not be true.

CW-moment:
    I decided to see what the "Schijf van Vijf" (the Dutch recommandations for a "balanced" meal) was for me.
    I only had to fill in my age and gender. Not my weight or activity level... (Why not??? Isn't that important? According to the Dutch "Voedingscentrum" carbs are a good source of energy. If I were active on an athletic level, shouldn't I eat more "healthy carbs"?? (mind you, with carbs they mean Potatoes, bread, rice and pasta, not veggies)

Well, let's see what they have to say:
    Female, 18 yrs old:
    200 grams of vegetables and fruit. (2 pieces of fruit and 4 serving spoons of veggies) well, okay. Not so bad if you ignore the fruit.
    225 grams of carbs (4-5 servings spoons). Blerg. No thanks!
    20 grams of cheese (1 slice.) One frickin' slice. Hello?!?! I thought cheese was supposed to be healthy according to you guys?
    600 ml of milk products (I have no idea how many glasses of milk that would be)
    100-125 grams of meat, fish, chicken eggs and meat substitudes. (I'm starving, guys. I'm starving!!! Gimme my fat!!)
    15 grams of cooking oils/butter. (Which would be about 1 tablespoon. For the entire day.) What do I cook my veggies in, when I've already used that tablespoon for my meat/fish??
    30 grams of halvarine (the fake butter. I'm not even commenting on this one.)
    1000-1500 ml of water. About 1-1.5 litres. That's just about the only thing I agree with, LOL.
    "Bread-Bread-Dinner
    It ain't makin' me any thinner
    I eat a sandwich for break-fast
    And then I have a sugar blast!
    I eat toasted bread for lunch
    And enjoy my mid-day crunch!
    At dinner I eat pasta
    And end my day with a sugar disasta!"

From the How am I not starving??? thread. Enjoy the read.