Page 764 of 887 FirstFirst ... 264664714754762763764765766774814864 ... LastLast
Results 7,631 to 7,640 of 8869

Thread: Funny CW moments page 764

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I was tutoring a kid with ADHD yesterday. The mother was making sugar cookies for her (hey, their life, not mine.) She'd also had part of a diet Dr. Pepper (apparently, she wasn't supposed to have it), some Scooby Doo "fruit" snacks, and sugar free Koolaid already. The parents were trying to get her to sit down and "behave" with threats and bribery. I only thought about the snacks she'd had and what I'd seen the kid eat for dinner before and bit my tongue. It's their kid, not mine, and I've already given my two cents on what I thought diet could do for her.
    (Eventually, between the 3 of us, the sweet little girl I knew showed up and was ready to learn.)
    There are so many studies that have debunked food being related to ADHD, NOT that I am advocating (although I am guilty with my own child). What an ADHD brain looks like compared to a normal brain is way different. There is a, for lack of a better phrase, dead space where connections just do not happen. Hence, prescribing stimulants to fire those receptors. Some people use stimulants that are medicated and some use non-medicated (mt. Dew).
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    My son who was a long time medicated for ADHD and was an agitated terror all the time has settled down nicely now that I got the soft drinks and bread and sugar and carbs mostly out of his diet. he is eating a solid paleo diet and is doing great. I dont care what studies there are saying food is not involved in ADHD. I see it all the time, kids hyped on sugar and crap food being crazy making.

Who the hell comes up with these studies anyways? the sugar industry?
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    My son who was a long time medicated for ADHD and was an agitated terror all the time has settled down nicely now that I got the soft drinks and bread and sugar and carbs mostly out of his diet. he is eating a solid paleo diet and is doing great. I dont care what studies there are saying food is not involved in ADHD. I see it all the time, kids hyped on sugar and crap food being crazy making.

Maybe it's the food coloring illuminati.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I know that in some cases, changing diet just isn't enough. My sister was one of those. I do know that, when we could get her to follow it, a junk free diet did help her. It just wasn't enough. Now she refuses to medicate or use diet, out of some religious reasoning.
    I know I am a case where diet is all that was needed to change. I cut sulfites due to an allergy and went full paleo. Bam, no more ADHD.
    Knowing that there are some where diet just isn't enough is part of why I held my tongue after the first advice on diet. What I believe to be true, may not be true for the kid.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I know that in some cases, changing diet just isn't enough. My sister was one of those. I do know that, when we could get her to follow it, a junk free diet did help her. It just wasn't enough. Now she refuses to medicate or use diet, out of some religious reasoning.
    I know I am a case where diet is all that was needed to change. I cut sulfites due to an allergy and went full paleo. Bam, no more ADHD.
    Knowing that there are some where diet just isn't enough is part of why I held my tongue after the first advice on diet. What I believe to be true, may not be true for the kid.
    agreed. I cut the junk from my daughters diet and there was no change. She is on meds and yeah, its a little better but our life is a roller coaster no matter what the girl is eating.
    Karin

Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post

Read about brain scans with kids that have ADHD and kids that do not. Its not food that fills in the gaps or lack of food. Yes, the sugar industry fills the world with crap and sugar affects a lot but ADHD is a medical diagnosis.
    Karin

accidentalpancake is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    There are so many studies that have debunked food being related to ADHD, NOT that I am advocating (although I am guilty with my own child). What an ADHD brain looks like compared to a normal brain is way different. There is a, for lack of a better phrase, dead space where connections just do not happen. Hence, prescribing stimulants to fire those receptors. Some people use stimulants that are medicated and some use non-medicated (mt. Dew).
    Thank you for saying something.

I really get frustrated when people try to dismiss ADHD as an actual neurological condition and suggest that it can be 'cured' via diet or that it is 'caused' by one's diet. As an adult with ADHD, I can assure you that it is a real issue, and medication is often the best solution. Does eating better (and otherwise living primally) help out by eliminating some moderately-related issues (fatigue, anxiety, etc.)? Yes, of course. Does diet get rid of the root symptoms (forgetfulness, lack of proper focus, inability to motivate yourself)? Nope, not even close.
    I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
    SW (Feb 2012): 278
    SBF: 26% (Scale)
    CW (May 2014): 198
    CBF: 14.5% (Scale)
    GW: ~190-205
    GBF: ~12%

RittenRemedy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    There.... that looks more correct.... Sorry... couldn't resisit....
    Lol yes, exactly.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    Read about brain scans with kids that have ADHD and kids that do not. Its not food that fills in the gaps or lack of food. Yes, the sugar industry fills the world with crap and sugar affects a lot but ADHD is a medical diagnosis.
    Where can we read the studies?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Where can we read the studies?
    When my daughter goes her to next therapy session I will get the name and author of the book I am referring to. It has pictures of the brain scans I am talking about but some articles to consider are:

ADHD: Attention Deficit and the Interest-Based Nervous System
    Discovery Health "Causes of ADHD and the ADHD Brain" reference to the grey matter is what I was talking about
    Causes of ADHD
    The influence of components of diet on ... [Rocz Panstw Zakl Hig. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI discusses more of vitamin deficiencies rather than food causing harm

edit to say: If you live with ADHD either in yourself or your child, you look for anything and everything to help. You research your brains out. You talk with anyone who might possibly have expertise in this area. You try EVERYTHING! I would gently advise you to not cast judgement on the parents of ADHD kids or ADHD adults who are doing the best they can with what they have. I live this life everyday from the moment I wake up, we struggle, to when she goes to bed, again we struggle and everyplace inbetween.
    Last edited by athomeontherange; 10-30-2013 at 12:55 PM.
    Karin