Page 745 of 888 FirstFirst ... 245645695735743744745746747755795845 ... LastLast
Results 7,441 to 7,450 of 8873

Thread: Funny CW moments page 745

egyption grok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrady98 View Post
    Took a chemistry test today.

A whole section on oils. "sunflower oil is full of healthy, unsaturated fats." "saturated fats clog in your arteries" "does adding hydrogen to olive oil make it more healthy?"

Walking out of class, my friends were saying "Wow, I didn't know that adding hydrogen to oils made them less fattening!" my other friend said, "no, it doesn't, it makes it more saturated, which is unhealthy"

Chemistry is one of my worst subjects, and even I know this is bad science! I knew I was going to fail anyway, so I answered the question of "What is better to use: vegetable oil or butter?" (seriously, wtf is their problem with butter?) with "Butter. It's a safer fat to cook with and does not require loads of unnatural processing. Also, vegetable oils have been linked with heart disease, whereas saturated fats have not."

Failing science in the name of science
    I swear I thought of doing this on last years exam bt just ruled it out bec it just wasnt worth it

Sent from my EK-GC100 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Emtropy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by egyption grok View Post
    I swear I thought of doing this on last years exam bt just ruled it out bec it just wasnt worth it
    Haha, I would strongly advise not doing so if you know the correct answer (well, the one "they" want you to know)
    I'm not an emo, I swear

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Okay...I really thought this was from The Onion. I hope that people realize he does not speak for God.

Quote Originally Posted by ELizabeth826 View Post
    A low carb diet, “violates the principles that God set down.”
    "The carbs are the fire that burns everything."
    Oh, and apparently Halal food helps fund terrorism.

Pat Robertson Claims Low-Carb Diet 'Violates' God's Principles (VIDEO)
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Blacksmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    Okay...I really thought this was from The Onion. I hope that people realize he does not speak for God.
    Do you know that for sure?
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Funny CW moments

Took a chemistry test today.

A whole section on oils. "sunflower oil is full of healthy, unsaturated fats." "saturated fats clog in your arteries" "does adding hydrogen to olive oil make it more healthy?"

Walking out of class, my friends were saying "Wow, I didn't know that adding hydrogen to oils made them less fattening!" my other friend said, "no, it doesn't, it makes it more saturated, which is unhealthy"

Chemistry is one of my worst subjects, and even I know this is bad science! I knew I was going to fail anyway, so I answered the question of "What is better to use: vegetable oil or butter?" (seriously, wtf is their problem with butter?) with "Butter. It's a safer fat to cook with and does not require loads of unnatural processing. Also, vegetable oils have been linked with heart disease, whereas saturated fats have not."

Failing science in the name of science
    Adding hydrogen (hydrogenation) to veggie oil creates trans fats not saturated fats.. Meaning the hydrogens are added trans (across from each other) instead of cis (on same side of the double bond) like saturated fats are. We all can agree trans fats are horrible for you, CW or primal.

But nice answer on the butter one. Maybe from a chemical perspective the teacher will agree with you as saturated fats are way more heat stable due to greater van der waals forces between straighter chains (saturated) than crooked chains (unsaturated), hence more thermal energy is required to excite them to vaporization point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 10-10-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    I thought it was a joke, too. That man needs a muzzle. And bacon.

Emtropy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Adding hydrogen to veggie oil creates trans fats not saturated fats.. Meaning the hydrogens are added trans across from each other instead of cis like saturated fats are. We all can agree trans fats are horrible for you, CW or primal.
    This wasn't made clear to us. At all. We didn't learn a thing about trans fats! We just learned that it "wasn't saturated" therefore "better for you" - I thought I had walked into a CW brainwashing ceremony rather than additional chemistry :P

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    But nice answer on the butter one. Maybe from a chemical perspective the teacher will agree with you as saturated fats are way more heat stable due to greater van der waals forces between straighter chains (saturated) than crooked chains (unsaturated), hence more thermal energy is required to excite them to vaporization point?
    I was going to put something along the lines of that (albeit a lot more simplistic) but I wasn't too sure of it...chemistry is my worst subject. I find it interesting - I just hate the topics that we do. I'm so sick of electrolysis.

Going to memorise that for when it's needed.
    I'm not an emo, I swear

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELizabeth826 View Post
    A low carb diet, “violates the principles that God set down.”
    "The carbs are the fire that burns everything."
    Oh, and apparently Halal food helps fund terrorism.

Pat Robertson Claims Low-Carb Diet 'Violates' God's Principles (VIDEO)
    Reason 241 why I'm going to hell today.

I think if you start with Leviticus, you'll find most of the others. Including wearing clothes of two fibers.

*gasp*
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    This wasn't made clear to us. At all. We didn't learn a thing about trans fats! We just learned that it "wasn't saturated" therefore "better for you" - I thought I had walked into a CW brainwashing ceremony rather than additional chemistry :P

I was going to put something along the lines of that (albeit a lot more simplistic) but I wasn't too sure of it...chemistry is my worst subject. I find it interesting - I just hate the topics that we do. I'm so sick of electrolysis.

Going to memorise that for when it's needed.
    Well I don't know if your teacher knows if it is beginning chemistry or high school chemistry. Trans vs cis is more of an organic chemistry thing.

Our bodies can saturate unsaturated fats by adding 2 hydrogens cis across the double bond, but there isn't an industrial process (ie. catalyst) that can add cis, so trans it is. Trans fat can't be processed by the body because it isn't a naturally occurring sort of fat, so it is left in the blood stream. Since trans fat looks like a zig zag, it can easily be stacked on top of each other and form plaque in your arteries and etc. Hence people saying hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fats are bad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

ELizabeth826 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    Reason 241 why I'm going to hell today.

I think if you start with Leviticus, you'll find most of the others. Including wearing clothes of two fibers.

*gasp*
    TWO DIFFERENT FIBERS!!!! You should be ashamed.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies