Page 713 of 924 FirstFirst ... 213613663703711712713714715723763813 ... LastLast
Results 7,121 to 7,130 of 9239

Thread: Funny CW moments

Shop Now
    Ah I miss seeing more funny moments! I have one to share:

Was camping this past weekend and we had a barbecue lunch. I brought my own chicken dogs instead of eating the hot dogs everyone else did. I asked one of the girls in the group if she wanted one as I know she is watching her weight. She said no, those will upset my stomach but thanks. Then she proceeds to grab a huge piece of bread, processed deli meat and Miracle Whip from her cooler! Ick, ick and double ICK!

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Monty Python started off the same way....

They were horrified that future comedians were classified as 'pythonesque', since their goal was to break all boundaries and be unclassifiable.
    That's how it works. You break the boundaries, and everyone's like, "Ooh, I want to be a boundary-breaker, too!"

Remember the Dr. Pepper ad from the 70s? "Be original - drink Dr. Pepper!"

And have you noticed that non-conformists have a dress code? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Disagree. Stubbornness is not attractive but taking feelings of friends into account is a generous thing to do, whether or not they appreciate it. And Fifer still ate a healthy meal so lost nothing but can leave the restaurant with diet, friendships and self esteem intact. Worth it in my view. Even worth it if the meal had been non-primal - just put it down to 20%. This is not a religion.
    It's not even about being primal or not, that's totally missing the point. The point was that this person simply wanted a steak, he said his friends were all saying, "That's so unhealthy!", so he didn't order it. The point is that he forced himself to have something he didn't want to have just because his friends said his choice was unhealthy. He didn't have to argue or preach about it, he could've just ordered what he wanted. It doesn't matter if it's primal or not, it's the fact that he's letting other people control something so basic as what he puts in his mouth. I don't see how it's taking their feelings into account because it shouldn't have anything to do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    It's not even about being primal or not, that's totally missing the point. The point was that this person simply wanted a steak, he said his friends were all saying, "That's so unhealthy!", so he didn't order it. The point is that he forced himself to have something he didn't want to have just because his friends said his choice was unhealthy. He didn't have to argue or preach about it, he could've just ordered what he wanted. It doesn't matter if it's primal or not, it's the fact that he's letting other people control something so basic as what he puts in his mouth. I don't see how it's taking their feelings into account because it shouldn't have anything to do with them.
    I agree. Eat whatever you want. If your friends will not be friends with you if you act like yourself, then you need new friends. I'd order two steaks just to spite them.

CW is a huge issue because it's so ingrained in people's brains and supported by 'health professionals'. No matter how successful your story is, people are not prepared to listen. They think you are crazy because you don't eat bread and say no to cupcakes!

It might be unthinkable for some to give up sugar and bread (or whatever else) but if they only believed that after the first few weeks of hard work, food won’t have control over them any more and this is the most absolute truth.

I used to be a sugar addict, carb lover. Always fighting with myself and getting miserable for my lack of self-control. I was sick and tired of failing. Doing really well (CW diet) during the week and blowing it on the weekends. It’s was a cycle. And even when I tried to ‘be good’ it was a battle with myself – it was not a natural thing for me to turn down food, especially sweet stuff.

I wish people would wake up. I am frustrated with the zombie like lifestyle people I love live but they are not willing to change. Everyone wants a ‘magic pill’ that will make them lose weight. The thing is, at the beginning, Primal Eating might be a bit overwhelming for some. I get it, it’s HARD to change old habits and especially if it goes against everything you believed your whole life.

But the benefits come so quickly, that’s it’s hard to believe how easy it is.

CW moments for me: Co-worker who is trying to eat better. She is really trying. We talk a lot about food, and carbs and etc. I am trying to slowly convince her to give up bread. She is starting to listen but quite often she calculates her ‘points’ – even though she is not doing WW. I keep quiet, leading by example and my results are the best testimony to my lifestyle.

And when I was talking to my sister this week, I was telling her I don’t want to become one of those people that judge other people’s choices on what they eat and I don’t want to be a food snob (turn down food people cook for me when I am invited to their house for a meal type of situation) – you deal with situations as they come. I also said: ‘I am not depriving myself at all and I am not that strict, so if I feel like eating something that is not primal, I will have it – but I never feel like having it! (90-10) She said: ‘It’s great… sometimes you just need a piece of bread, it keeps you full for longer’

When you think you are making progress…… head desk!!

I think a big part of the problem is people view giving up grains and sugar like "I will never have pizza or cake again" and are like, oh I can never do that.

You don't have to "give up" anything for good. Oh yeah, cut way back. Make it occasional. But I think when you tell people they have to eliminate something forever, people know it is not realistic.

I think a good idea comes from the vegetarian movement- "Meatless Mondays". Take one day, eat no meat (OK, not us), but maybe encourage friends to try breadless/grainless days and meals. And maybe be honest and tell people that you can still have occasional pizza, beer and sweets. Very occasional.

I also am of the mindset, you should eat what you want. This whole thing of people judging the plates of others is so overdone.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Typical CW Story: My sister, who is a wonderful person and whom I love dearly, eats a fairly healthy diet as far as CW is concerned. Heavy on the whole grains and legumes (I used to eat this way too). She is in fairly good shape and looks great. She is always complaining of headaches and being tired (she will sleep an entire Saturday away) and constantly hungry. She eats all the time. I told her that maybe she should cut back on the grains, pastas and legumes. She said "but that's what I live on." I said, that's the point.

I'm still carrying extra weight, but I feel so much better than she does - I haven't had a headache in almost a year, and I don't have cravings anymore. Maybe once the weight is off completely, she'll be more open.

Oh well. We can only lead and encourage!

The unspoken assumptions about vegetarianism in our culture are that

1. the decision to be a vegetarian is by default deserving of respect, in a way no other WOE is;
    2. vegetarians will be and are quite right to be offended if you were to eat meat in their presence;
    3. and so it is considered a sign of respect for the choices that a vegetarian has made to eat vegetarian when you are in the presence of vegetarian friends.

Not to do so would be considered disrepectful and poor etiquette in general. So the vegetarians in that instance felt entitled to enforce these rules, and their friend backed down rather than order that steak.

My response to them would be "I am eating healthy, see? no bread and lots of meat and veg. " Then offer to discuss the relative nutritional value of their food to mine. No one ever takes me up on it.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I think a big part of the problem is people view giving up grains and sugar like "I will never have pizza or cake again" and are like, oh I can never do that.

You don't have to "give up" anything for good. Oh yeah, cut way back. Make it occasional. But I think when you tell people they have to eliminate something forever, people know it is not realistic.

I think a good idea comes from the vegetarian movement- "Meatless Mondays". Take one day, eat no meat (OK, not us), but maybe encourage friends to try breadless/grainless days and meals. And maybe be honest and tell people that you can still have occasional pizza, beer and sweets. Very occasional.

I also am of the mindset, you should eat what you want. This whole thing of people judging the plates of others is so overdone.
    That's true... when I go out to a restaurant, I get the molten lava cake. I have very little reaction to gluten so why not live a little? But I think eliminating them almost entirely is realistic. I never have grains aside from special occasions, and I don't miss them. All the meat makes up for it.