Page 7 of 880 FirstFirst ... 567891757107507 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny CW moments page 7

maba is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Sassa, before I went on vacation last month, I asked my coworkers if I could bring anything back from India and they all said they wanted Indian sweets. I said I wouldn't be able to that in good conscience since I think those are unhealthful, and would not like to give them what I think is unfit for me to eat. So they all laughed and said it was ok if I didn't eat and that they're ok with it and don't really care about their health (mockingly, of course).

People would go around offering oreos and other such crap that I'd always turn down. Now they've just stopped offering them to me.

And I can't stand it when people bring all their baked goodies to work every other day. It's not enough that you're eating all that junk, but make sure you feed it to others too.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

annadragon....interesting description of spinach there!

There's nothing easier to make than creamed spinach. Cook, drain but not overly, add butter, add flour to thicken, finish with a bit of lemon.

PawsitivelyPrimal is offline Junior Member

OTB, would the primal version of creamed spinach use an almond or maybe coconut flour in place of the standard variety? How would that work, I've not yet had the opportunity to try out any "primal flours". Just curious, y'know?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I have no idea. And frankly, I don't care about the tiny bit of Wondra flour that will make its way into my body. I know it works.

I did have a post here very recently about making gravy with coconut flour. Fairly successful, a little "gritty", although that word is a bit harsh. I also wound up adding Vital Wheat Gluten which I think helped.

Last night, we watched Food Inc. After the movie I asked my husband dearie what he thought about the movie. He said, "I really don't see the difference between mistreating an animal and killing it for food; and treating an animal ethically AND THEN killing it for food. Thank God, I'm vegetarian." *foreheadslap*

Then, as has been happening quite often recently, the conversation veers to my diet and he goes, "You know weight-loss is not everything. I don't want you to develop plaque w/ your diet. If your plaque ruptures, it can be fatal." Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Katt is offline Senior Member

OTB, for those of us who are gluten intolerant, that small bit of flour can make us sick. I did see a recipe for creamed spinach on Emeril's website that had no flour in it. It doesn't have the same thickness, but sounds much healthier.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/creamed-spinach-recipe2/index.html

Maba, I feel for you. I guess it probably wouldn't help to point out that life consumes life. In order for anything to eat, /something/ must die, be it plant or animal. Treating one's food humanely, thanking it for its sacrifice and knowing that someday you will feed the cycle (although with todays burial practices that's less likely) is all part of the give and take of living.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Katt is offline Senior Member

Today I had the fortune? to speak (via the internet) with someone about a high fat diet. Talk about Conventional Wisdom getting in the way...

Granted, this woman says that she gets sick eating meat and can only eat a high carb, high grain diet. Ok... maybe.

But in the course of our discussion, she tells me:

"Fat based diets make you slower, drowsy. Carbs are the main source of energy. Meat and fat do not give you as much, and they do not break down into glucose. It's biochemistry. Your body needs glucose."

Therefore... fats are bad. She eats a very low fat diet. This started because this morning, I told her I had gotten up, fed my dogs and went out and did sprints. She said I had too much energy and she was still in bed. Just listening to me made her sleepy.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Ha! That's funny

I got one for you too. It was a funny CW moment in the way that it proved the effects of CW foods vs Primal lifestyle.

We went to Six Flags Great America over the weekend and my boyfriend and I and two of our friends stopped at some restaurant there to grab some lunch. We were all pretty hungry by then so the guys loaded their plates with fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, macaroni and cheese, dinner rolls, and a bug cup of chocolate pudding with oreo cookies. My girlfriend and I opted for 2 pieces of grilled chicken with skin and double serving of vegetables. We also split a cup of fresh fruit between the two of us.

So we get to our table and I look at the boys, and their faces look so haaaapy with a thought of digging in into all that stuff. It was about 20 minutes later that their faces went from completely happy to completely depressed. They got very bloated and sick and could barely breeze. About an hour later they were completely drained and wanted to go rest somewhere while my girlfriend and I continued with our rides without so much as a trace of feeling tired. I felt pretty great about that even though I also felt for the poor boys.

While waiting at the Dr.'s yesterday, I flipped through a Parenting magazine and an article that caught my eye was on "Non-messy foods for kids". Among the snacksize granola bars and fruit juices, the one that shocked me most was a no-yolks product - ready-to-microwave egg-whites!!! When will this madness stop??

gazb is offline Junior Member

The other night I was round at my friend's place watching some films and eating. First off I'll admit that there were some tortilla chips in front of me, and when there's food in front of me I can't say no. OK, confession out the way, anyway... my friend brings through a massive bowl of popcorn. I give it a miss of course, not least because I already feel run down from eating the tortilla chips. Then one of the girls says, "you know, popcorn's actually one of the healthiest snacks, it's so good for you!... Especially if you have it without much butter and salt!". FACEPALM.

So of course I point out that it's just empty carbohydrates and does you no good whatsoever (although at least it's not fried in vegetable oil like the tortilla chips are!), and at least having it with butter would give it some form of nutritional value. She's having none of it: "I can't stand these diet nazis who don't eat carbohydrates! They're the building blocks of your cells...". FACEPALM number 2.

I fully admit that I used to be firmly under the grip of CW, but I've never, at any point in my life, thought that popcorn was healthy!

To her credit though she did say she had cut down on bread a lot recently, and I once heard another friend saying she probably wouldn't give bread to a starving homeless person because it's so unhealthy and "clogs up your system". So maybe people are slowly starting to get it. I just think a lot of people are still under the impression that corn is some sort of vegetable and therefore healthy.

Which reminds me... when you walk into my nearest Waitrose supermarket, there's a big display labelled "summer veg": green beans, peas, and corn on the cob!

Page 7 of 880 FirstFirst ... 567891757107507 ... LastLast