Page 691 of 872 FirstFirst ... 191591641681689690691692693701741791 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,910 of 8720

Thread: Funny CW moments page 691

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post

Me: healthy weight, exercises regularly, very seldom gets sick.
    Coworker: obese, diabetic, uses a cane because she has "bad knees", can't walk 100 feet without getting winded, often out sick for a variety of illnesses.

We are the same age.
    She must have got that way by eating butter, otherwise how would she know it is bad for you?

/sarcasm off
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

A friend told me that it's important to have "all the food groups" at dinner, so the meal is complete. That could be a dig at me for doing Primal (which she assumes is low-carb and therefore unhealthy... as if the only source of carbs is bread), but I didn't say anything. To satisfy this rule she served store-bought macaroni salad with perfectly good grilled kebabs (and then was surprised I didn't touch the macaroni salad). Another day, she tells me she doesn't think her body processes gluten very well... But she doesn't seem to have reconsidered the whole "healthy meals must involve rice/ bread/ pasta" thing.

Having spent 48 years living in the USA and being taught the SAD as if it were gospel, I can certainly see the dilemma people face in trying to understand what foods are best to eat. Many people, myself included, find it pretty daunting when people refute some of the most entrenched knowledge (be it however wrong) in their lives. So, while I find many of these CW stories funny, I am trying to respect their situation(s). After all, I was once in their exact shoes. Perhaps I should unsubscribe from this thread.

"I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

sires6 is offline Senior Member
    PBNewby this thread isn't about bashing these people... really it's the "we're shaking our heads because we were there once and can't believe we believed that" I personally shake my head and remind myself how good I have it. I also then tell people. I don't get discouraged. We were all there once, we are here now.

Besides, it is a little bit humorous to see the great lengths that some CW believers will twist and turn their logic to get to the whole "[name paleo/primal food] is bad for you" or "you don't kill yourself for 3 hours a day" or "why don't you do this CW/SAD thing that we all do because it so obviously works for us" and they are overweight and sick...

No evil intentions her, mere awe and frustration.
    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II

Agreed.
    I understand the purpose of the thread and usually enjoy it for the reasons you gave. Something came over me last night, perhaps my own frustrations of dealing with non-believers yesterday, and I was thrust into a mindset of trying to understand their point of view. This sometimes helps me see how the world works. Sorry to have let my frustrations bleed into this thread. Back to my normal programming.
    Last edited by PBNewby; 07-19-2013 at 06:25 AM.

Tigger is offline Member
    PBNewby,
    I too have laughed in awe at some of the CW gems that come out of peoples' mouths. On the other hand, I've also winced in the pain of mea culpa when I realized I've said or thought some of the exact same things. For example, on Saturday, we'll be hosting the celebration of all the July birthdays with extended family (mine included, so that's the perfect reason to cheat, right?). Last night in the grocery store, I stood there and justified a can of pears in heavy syrup (pears are a fruit), cream cheese (it wasn't fat free or low fat), broccoli salad (broccoli, sunflower seeds, cheese, and bacon -- the mayo and sugar in the sauce obviously don't count), all natural vanilla bean ice cream (I can pronounce all the ingredients), and cheesecake (it has fewer grains, just a little graham cracker crust, than a regular slice of birthday cake).
    OK, hands up! How many of you just did a facepalm, headdesk, or screamed, "YOU IDIOT!" at the computer? And just to let you know, I'm 49 and been PB (with great results) for over 18 months. I should know better, but CW has a really loud voice, especially when its what we've been listening to all our lives. Old habits die hard!

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    PBNewby,
    I too have laughed in awe at some of the CW gems that come out of peoples' mouths. On the other hand, I've also winced in the pain of mea culpa when I realized I've said or thought some of the exact same things. For example, on Saturday, we'll be hosting the celebration of all the July birthdays with extended family (mine included, so that's the perfect reason to cheat, right?). Last night in the grocery store, I stood there and justified a can of pears in heavy syrup (pears are a fruit), cream cheese (it wasn't fat free or low fat), broccoli salad (broccoli, sunflower seeds, cheese, and bacon -- the mayo and sugar in the sauce obviously don't count), all natural vanilla bean ice cream (I can pronounce all the ingredients), and cheesecake (it has fewer grains, just a little graham cracker crust, than a regular slice of birthday cake).
    OK, hands up! How many of you just did a facepalm, headdesk, or screamed, "YOU IDIOT!" at the computer? And just to let you know, I'm 49 and been PB (with great results) for over 18 months. I should know better, but CW has a really loud voice, especially when its what we've been listening to all our lives. Old habits die hard!
    Meh, I don't think you are an idiot. You made an informed choice and it sounds like you will accept any consequences from that. I highly doubt that drinking a few martinis and going out dancing till 4am is a healthy choice, but that's not going to stop me from doing it occasionally. I'm making an informed choice and I'm fine with the results of that choice.

I think the "You idiot!" headdesks are more about hearing someone contradict themselves or ignore the evidence about the consequences of the choices they are making. Or instances where the person really has no way to know why they are suffering a consequence but won't listen to reason when offered an explanation. Like, if I complained about being tired or hungover after those martinis and that dancing, "WHY is this happening to poor little ME?"

You wanna eat cheesecake on your birthday? Enjoy it. Living your life always doing the "right/healthy" thing would bored me to tears.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

YvonneJean is offline Junior Member
    I went to a friend's BBQ a couple weekends ago. The food was actually pretty decent for me. I brought a veggie tray, and some of the meats were plain grilled. What was harder was some people who had heard that I went gluten free were kind of all over me about it, and I tried very hard not to get defensive. It got worse once I mentioned Paleo. It was kind of depressing. There was one great point when some women were talking about reducing calories to just above 1K to reduce weight, and I got to say "I am losing weight eating 2500 calories a day".

Not going to let them get me down!

Tigger is offline Member
    I agree with you, and believe me, I am going to have cheesecake for my birthday!

I just feel like the McD people who order a Big Mac, XL fries, and a diet coke. I'm going to eat jell-o salad, broccoli salad, ice cream, cheesecake , and a bun-less hamburger! Oh, the irony! Do you think Mark will notice that this meal will be 20/80 instead of 80/20?

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I agree with you, and believe me, I am going to have cheesecake for my birthday!

I just feel like the McD people who order a Big Mac, XL fries, and a diet coke. I'm going to eat jell-o salad, broccoli salad, ice cream, cheesecake , and a bun-less hamburger! Oh, the irony! Do you think Mark will notice that this meal will be 20/80 instead of 80/20?
    Been there and as for Mark, I think he would say "Dude, it's your birthday!"
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.