Page 686 of 879 FirstFirst ... 186586636676684685686687688696736786 ... LastLast
Results 6,851 to 6,860 of 8788

Thread: Funny CW moments page 686

  1. #6851
    OutdoorAmy's Avatar
    OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    284
    Primal Fuel
    So I've been going through some GI issues lately (based on my own research and my food log - I suspect celiac or UC - but I'm getting endoscopy testing to find out for sure, in a couple weeks) . . . . anyway - when this drama all started back in February after a trip to the ER my GP (who I had no prior relationship with before my ER visit - since I had only been in town for 6 months and hadn't found a doctor yet) suggested that I take Prilosec . . . even though I had not complained of heart burn - at all.

    So, you want me to take a serious acid reducer to "fix" symptoms I don't even have? *face palm* . . . . I've gone back to her once, since I don't have any other options - but I'm looking into starting going to the naturopath in town for healing my GI issues and only going to the GP for annual physicals and blood work (since my insurance will cover that).
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"



    Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

  2. #6852
    OutdoorAmy's Avatar
    OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    284
    Watching a documentary about the Gerson therapy that argues Humans are herbivores by comparing our teeth and digestive tracts to those of wild carnivores (like felines and canids). Of course, they didn't compare it to wild herbivores, like deer or bison, because then you'd see that we are equally different from them - all their teeth are flat and they ruminate on their foods. Humans are omnivores, people! Why do some people deliberately not see this? If you want to compare our digestion to any wild animals it ought to be wild bears and hogs - and - SHOCKER - our GI tracts are quite similar. *face palm*

    (This same documentary says that Gerson's daughter, Charlotte, doesn't look her 80 years . . . and I'm thinking - "You know we can actually see her right? She looks every bit a spry 80 year old. She doesn't look younger than she is at all - she looks like a pretty healthy 80 year old, no more no less")
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"



    Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

  3. #6853
    Primbel's Avatar
    Primbel is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    10
    I googled her and you're right - She looks good but not less then 80...
    My grandma is 81 and looks younger then her.

  4. #6854
    fifer's Avatar
    fifer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    You mean canola oil, right? If they actually called it rape seed oil, that's just crazy. Unprocessed rape seed oil is outright toxic.
    I don't know, the word canola oil isnt ever used in the UK, but "normal" cooking often uses "rapeseed oil". I guess it's the same thing with a different name?

  5. #6855
    Misabi's Avatar
    Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    You mean canola oil, right? If they actually called it rape seed oil, that's just crazy. Unprocessed rape seed oil is outright toxic.
    http://www.rapeseedoil.co.uk

    Canola apparently isn't sold very widely in the UK. I don't know if this is just because the US market was thought to be too sensitive to buy a product with "rape" in the name, if it's made using a different process, or if the rape plants used in the US and Canada are different due to selective breeding or genetic modification.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  6. #6856
    CarbDodger's Avatar
    CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by fifer View Post
    I don't know, the word canola oil isnt ever used in the UK, but "normal" cooking often uses "rapeseed oil". I guess it's the same thing with a different name?
    true, canola was a US/Canadian brand of oil made from rapeseed and its now a generic term for it there; canola was never on sale in the UK so the name means nothing to us but they are the same thing -oil produced from rapeseed in an identical manner.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

  7. #6857
    Urban Forager's Avatar
    Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,740
    From what I understand almost all the canola oil in the US and Canada is GM. Perhaps that's why it's not commonly used in the UK
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

  8. #6858
    magicmerl's Avatar
    magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    From what I understand almost all the canola oil in the US and Canada is GM. Perhaps that's why it's not commonly used in the UK
    I always thought that it was because CAN-OLA is short for 'Canadian Oil'.

    But actually it's because the Canola plant is a rapeseed species bred in Canada.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  9. #6859
    summerbreeze's Avatar
    summerbreeze is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
    Watching a documentary about the Gerson therapy that argues Humans are herbivores by comparing our teeth and digestive tracts to those of wild carnivores (like felines and canids). Of course, they didn't compare it to wild herbivores, like deer or bison, because then you'd see that we are equally different from them - all their teeth are flat and they ruminate on their foods. Humans are omnivores, people! Why do some people deliberately not see this? If you want to compare our digestion to any wild animals it ought to be wild bears and hogs - and - SHOCKER - our GI tracts are quite similar. *face palm*

    (This same documentary says that Gerson's daughter, Charlotte, doesn't look her 80 years . . . and I'm thinking - "You know we can actually see her right? She looks every bit a spry 80 year old. She doesn't look younger than she is at all - she looks like a pretty healthy 80 year old, no more no less")
    I had a dream last night that I got into an argument with a vegetarian over this exact same issue.

    People seem to also forget that humans cook their food, to get more nutrients out of them in a quicker timeframe. Cooking food also makes it more digestible, which explains both the shorter GI tract (don't need to digest as long to get nutrients absorbed) and the teeth (cooked food is easier to chew). There was a great popular anthropology book about it recently called Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human.

    Of course, some people who argue that humans are herbivores also argue that we should be eating raw vegan diets, which often lead women to be unable to menstruate or conceive. I'm going to say that something that decrease fertility is probably not healthy.

  10. #6860
    Wildrose's Avatar
    Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Calgary Alberta
    Posts
    1,049
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    true, canola was a US/Canadian brand of oil made from rapeseed and its now a generic term for it there; canola was never on sale in the UK so the name means nothing to us but they are the same thing -oil produced from rapeseed in an identical manner.
    OK, that makes sense. I was just confused because most of the literature I've read defined rapeseed oil as inedible.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •