Page 685 of 881 FirstFirst ... 185585635675683684685686687695735785 ... LastLast
Results 6,841 to 6,850 of 8801

Thread: Funny CW moments page 685

sires6 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    EMT going to Paramedic school...

Unless you are in emergency medicine, you truly cannot comprehend how the US is sending us straight to hell in a big white box with lights on it (mine is actually red, but that's okay).

Sometimes, I will tell my pts in the ambulance (ambo) about primal. I've lost lots of weight, pre-diabetes symptoms go down, healthy blood, etc, etc.

It really depends upon how scared they are as to whether they listen or not. I've talked to my colleagues, too, but for a couple of exceptions, it falls on deaf (dead?) ears.

Went to the Maryland state Firemen's Association conference in Ocean City. I have never seen so many fat firemen. Sad, so so sad. My friend (primal... I brought her over, thank God) and I marveled how most of these guys don't keel over during a fire from heat induced heart attack... ultimately induced by too much sugar and grains (firehouse spaghetti dinners with garlic bread and badly over cooked vegetables)...

sigh.

::forehead smack::
    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sires6 View Post
    Unless you are in emergency medicine, you truly cannot comprehend how the US is sending us straight to hell in a big white box with lights on it (mine is actually red, but that's okay).
    O.P.U.S. here (Old Paramedic Under Stress). Spent almost 20 years in EMS working 911 and offshore/overseas and you are right.

I started back in 1975 before there were paramedics in our part of Texas. We might have an occasional 300 pounder patient, once a month or so. 400 and above were a once a year thing.

But then HFCS, fake oils, etc, started coming out and the average patient weight continues to go up to the point where large EMS services have special "bariatric" ambulances with stretchers with capacities up to 1000 lbs, winches, hydraulic ramps.

The difference between now and then? The rampant spread of CW wisdom, dependence on CW medicine to solve all ills, well, y'all know the story.

My personal best when I was an EMT? Patient weighed 526 lbs. Add the weight of the stretcher, that put us over 600 lbs. None of this fancy, smancy, roll in/roll out stuff, we had to dead lift the stretcher into the back of the unit....just the two of us.

Surprised I still have an intact spine left after all those years.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Texas Grok, Yeah, here I am healthy and going really well, losing weight and great blood work, back is actually better what with less weight and better exercise and I blow out the medial condyl (inside tendon on my elbow) picking up a 350lb guy, with the 150 lb stretcher, I'm now dealing with that. And I am down to my 170's and getting smaller...

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sires6 View Post
    Texas Grok, Yeah, here I am healthy and going really well, losing weight and great blood work, back is actually better what with less weight and better exercise and I blow out the medial condyl (inside tendon on my elbow) picking up a 350lb guy, with the 150 lb stretcher, I'm now dealing with that. And I am down to my 170's and getting smaller...
    Ouch! Hope it heals up well. I ruptured my distal bicep tendon working offshore, most sudden and intense pain that I have ever had. Left an interesting divot in my bicep area.

When the hell did stretchers get to be 150lbs???? I think ours was 75lbs back in the day.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

summerbreeze is offline Junior Member
    I've heard a lot about emergency personnel having to change things because people are getting so much bigger. It's scary.

My most recent CW moment: I was in the bookstore looking for a specific paleo cookbook, but they didn't have it :-( I love cookbooks, though, so I just browsed the cookbook section. One book I spotted was the Betty Crocker Heart Healthy Cookbook. There were three different things pictured on the cover: a cake, pancakes, and what looked like a turkey burger with a giant bun. Way to be healthy there, guys :facepalm:

Ouch! Hope it heals up well. I ruptured my distal bicep tendon working offshore, most sudden and intense pain that I have ever had. Left an interesting divot in my bicep area.

When the hell did stretchers get to be 150lbs???? I think ours was 75lbs back in the day.
    My right forearm is a good half inch smaller right now because I have been coddling it. Decided to stop doing that.

As for the weight of the stretchers now:

EMS Equipment - Emergency Cots : Stryker

Oh and the "bariatric" cots are for those that weight more than the 700 lbs our regular chairs can lift...

We have a powered lift in our new ambulance, because the average patient weight is over 200 lbs. They added assist to regular stretchers because two EMTs couldn't lift these people anymore. AND IT'S ALL TREATABLE!!!

Makes me sick when I have a 56 yo black male who is over 250lbs and is having chest pains, is diabetic and on more drugs than my mother (82 yo diabetic who I can't get to change, either) and had a "good breakfast" of (store bought crappy) sausage, pancakes and biscuits. "Yes, he knows he should drop the sausage because of the fat..."

:face to ambulance countertop:

Annie Sires

Pope John Paul II

Emtropy is offline Senior Member
    Reading a lot of MDA and paleo related stuff has made me...realise things. *nervously looks around*

I was with my friends in a big food place in town, which does amazing dark chocolate (too expensive for me) sushi (never tried it) and has stuff like duck's eggs, grass-fed lamb, etc.

I mean, it does junk food as well, but it's a pretty fine balance of good food vs junk food.

So I was quite surprised to see this:
    541.jpg

The fake oils outweigh real fats so heavily: it's atrocious. Lurpack isn't real butter, either. It's half butter, half vegetable oil.

Whyyyy???
    Last edited by Emtropy; 07-01-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    I'm not an emo, I swear

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrady98 View Post
    Reading a lot of MDA and paleo related stuff has made me...realise things. *nervously looks around*

I was with my friends in a big food place in town, which does amazing dark chocolate (too expensive for me) sushi (never tried it) and has stuff like duck's eggs, grass-fed lamb, etc.

I mean, it does junk food as well, but it's a pretty fine balance of good food vs junk food.

So I was quite surprised to see this:
    541.jpg

The fake oils outweigh real fats so heavily: it's atrocious. Lurpack isn't real butter, either. It's half butter, half vegetable oil.

Whyyyy???
    Can't see your picture... but the spoiling things with bad oils - a couple of weeks ago we were at a local food festival with local producers and stalls. The most tempting was a stand doing hot lunches - wild wood pigeon with a vegetable side. The sign detailing the origins of all the various fresh ingredients proudly stated that everything was cooked and seasoned with rape seed oil.

Emtropy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fifer View Post
    Can't see your picture... but the spoiling things with bad oils - a couple of weeks ago we were at a local food festival with local producers and stalls. The most tempting was a stand doing hot lunches - wild wood pigeon with a vegetable side. The sign detailing the origins of all the various fresh ingredients proudly stated that everything was cooked and seasoned with rape seed oil.
    I think I would've just let out a loud cry of frustration. At least they proudly warned you about the poison that coated that delicious food...

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fifer View Post
    You mean canola oil, right? If they actually called it rape seed oil, that's just crazy. Unprocessed rape seed oil is outright toxic.