Page 676 of 879 FirstFirst ... 176576626666674675676677678686726776 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,760 of 8782

Thread: Funny CW moments page 676

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    Two yolks in an egg is twins. Twins do happen with chickens... the only reason you don't find those eggs in the supermarket is because they're inspected and discarded. Apparently it's considered a defect. Although... the one time I had an egg with a double yolk, I thought that both yolks were very watery. I like normal ones better.
    Can you tell they have 2 yolks by just looking at 'em? Are they bigger? Or is it just random? If they look the same, I wonder how the factory would tell. I have a friend that gives me eggs from her chickens, have yet to see a double yolk.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I think a pallet of eggs is 30 eggs. They sell them that way at the farmer's market. They also sell double yolk eggs there.
    Thats what Im talking about. They might be 36 though, can't remember for sure. They're slightly cheaper when you buy that many here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Yeah, I was just fantasizing about a forklift taking an industrial pallet full of eggs off the back of the truck and delivering it to my door...
    HAHA! That would be a lot of eggs! I think the bf and I could do it
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    I want chickens! How many chickens would you need for say 5 dozen eggs a week?

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    At least 9. I hear young healthy hens will produce about an egg a day. 5 dozen eggs a week is 8.5a day so round up to 9 = 9 chickens. Thats under optimal conditions though, I think in practice you might want a few more in case some of them don't lay every day for whatever reason. I don't have any chickens but my aunt does and I also want a flock so I've been looking into it.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eig View Post
    At least 9. I hear young healthy hens will produce about an egg a day. 5 dozen eggs a week is 8.5a day so round up to 9 = 9 chickens. Thats under optimal conditions though, I think in practice you might want a few more in case some of them don't lay every day for whatever reason. I don't have any chickens but my aunt does and I also want a flock so I've been looking into it.
    At **LEAST** 9, under ideal conditions. If you only have hens, they will probably realistically lay about one egg every 2.5 days. If you have a rooster around, they will lay eggs far more regularly.

Also note that they will only naturally lay during the spring, summer, and early fall.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    well and only in summer unless it gets too hot. The hens around here stop laying much when the heat turns up.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    Can you tell they have 2 yolks by just looking at 'em? Are they bigger? Or is it just random? If they look the same, I wonder how the factory would tell. I have a friend that gives me eggs from her chickens, have yet to see a double yolk.
    You can't tell just looking at them, it's random. And I'm told they shine a light through to inspect them, although I could be wrong about that. They definitely do something to detect it since the eggs I bought that had one said they were not inspected.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    The eggs are bigger too. One tray we bought last month had 3 (!) double yolkers in it.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    And then after a few years, they will stop laying so much and you will have to decide whether you want to keep them as pets until they die or butcher them as stewing chickens. Buying eggs from a local farmer seems so much easier to me.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    It's called "Candelling" an egg.

Yes, a very bright light is shined against the egg, and the shadow of what is inside is seen. It's quite easy to detect big blood spots, double yolks, or even little chicks.

We have a friend with hens in her yard. Yum!