Page 666 of 901 FirstFirst ... 166566616656664665666667668676716766 ... LastLast
Results 6,651 to 6,660 of 9004

Thread: Funny CW moments page 666

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    in my neck of the woods-

y'all - singular
    y'all - plural
    all y'all - singular
    all y'all - plural
    All y'all's, plural possessive
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    As a southerner (Georgia, Florida's Redneck Riviera) who has lived 20+ years in Ohio, all I can say on the y'all front is that it is music to my ears, not heard enough in my daily life. My son, raised in Ohio, now in Texas, has almost become a southerner (he's trying hard) and has adopted y'all as a mainstay of his speech. He is doing reasonably well in applying it in sentences correctly. One of the cable channels (H2?) has a series on American slang and did an excellent show on Y'all as well as a good one on the contributions of the Scotts-Irish to the Americanized version of English.

In the northwestern part of Ohio (Celina) "you-uns" is frequently used. They also say "Please?" when they don't understand what you said. I had a heck of a time adopting to this idiom when first exposed to it, I was used to "Huh?", or "come again" And, around Deeeeeeetroit, if you are a southerner, you can expect the occasional "say something else, I want to hear you talk" comment, which does take some getting used to.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    "You guys" and "you all" is more common here (the first being more casual). I type "y'all" but don't often say it because I get odd looks (I don't have a local accent nor have I ever been in the South, except for TX when I was 5 and FL which I'm told doesn't really count). "Y'all" gives me warm and fuzzy feelings, for some reason. I also use the term "folks" instead of "people" because I like how it sounds, and I don't think that's too common here.

If people don't understand what you said around here, they'll say, "What was that?" or smash it all together, like, "Whawuzzat?" There's still, "Excuse me?" and "What?" but it depends on upbringing, town/state of origin, and environment.

Using "Please" makes me think of German, which adds "please" and "thank you" in a lot of conversation. It's nice.

Apparently, there's an area in southwestern MA that sounds completely Southern. It's VERY ODD. I have no idea why that happened.

Maine accents kind of sound like a Boston and Southern accent (of some type, I know they're not all the same) had an awkward mating ritual. To me, anyway.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

And, around Deeeeeeetroit, if you are a southerner, you can expect the occasional "say something else, I want to hear you talk" comment, which does take some getting used to.
    My mother, who grew up in Boston and has a very strong accent sometimes (depending on where she is and who she's talking to), gets this a lot. "Say 'park your car in Harvard Yard'!!" She usually just gives them a "f*** off" glare and ignores them.
    Height: 5'7"
    SW: 178.0 (1/1/2013)
    CW: 163.2
    GW: I'll know when I get there!

My Primal Journal

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpeppersauce View Post
    My mother, who grew up in Boston and has a very strong accent sometimes (depending on where she is and who she's talking to), gets this a lot. "Say 'park your car in Harvard Yard'!!" She usually just gives them a "f*** off" glare and ignores them.
    I've gotta admit, that is an annoyance. I can do a fair imitation of a Boston accent for expressions like that and if I think about it enough, but speak way too slowly with the accent to be believable

She should tell them to "shut the fahk up".
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I feel like a stalker. But I guess since I am upfront about enjoying a man with nice abs, it makes me more of a fan.

On another note, my neighbor's mom was gushing about how great I looked and asked me how I did it. I told her about crossfit, cutting grains, sugars. Shopping the produce and meat departments. Then she recommended I try Weight Watchers as it was easier. Why do people think eating meat, fruits and vegetables along with some nice things like chocolate, butter and some dairy is so hard? And given that she is heavy and her daughter is struggling with her weight and her child's weight, why would I take her advice?
    ugh, weight watchers is NOT easier, I do NOT want to have to be counting points or calories or whatever for every single darn thing I eat. It's not hard to just avoid or greatly reduce carbs and grains in general. It's only harder for most people to make the time to prepare food fresh (how to do it: watch 1 less hour of TV a day and spend it in the kitchen... )
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Primal-V is offline Member
    Amen to that. It's not sustainable to count calories to keep on track- I let my body decide when I've had enough and primal food keeps my body honest.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    ugh, weight watchers is NOT easier, I do NOT want to have to be counting points or calories or whatever for every single darn thing I eat. It's not hard to just avoid or greatly reduce carbs and grains in general. It's only harder for most people to make the time to prepare food fresh (how to do it: watch 1 less hour of TV a day and spend it in the kitchen... )
    Or watch TV **WHILE** cooking. Seriously, John Stewart and Stephen Colbert are in my kitchen more often than my own boyfriend.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

rcav8r is offline Senior Member
    While I'm doing primal, my wife is doing WW. She's done it before, but yoyo's on the weight (not surprising). Now we've got a little bet going, who can lose 15% of body weight by thankgsgiving. It's pushing it a little, but honestly, I think I got a better shot at it with PB than she does with WW.

I don't care for all the food weighting and points and stuff. I probably should be weighting and measuring some of my food just so I know what I can put into a food journal to see how I'm doing with proteing and carbs, but I don't expect that to be a long term thing once I get the hang of what kind of servings give how much carbs and protein.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Y'all jus' need to come on back home

Quote Originally Posted by Rig D View Post
    As a southerner (Georgia, Florida's Redneck Riviera) who has lived 20+ years in Ohio, all I can say on the y'all front is that it is music to my ears, not heard enough in my daily life. My son, raised in Ohio, now in Texas, has almost become a southerner (he's trying hard) and has adopted y'all as a mainstay of his speech. He is doing reasonably well in applying it in sentences correctly. One of the cable channels (H2?) has a series on American slang and did an excellent show on Y'all as well as a good one on the contributions of the Scotts-Irish to the Americanized version of English.

In the northwestern part of Ohio (Celina) "you-uns" is frequently used. They also say "Please?" when they don't understand what you said. I had a heck of a time adopting to this idiom when first exposed to it, I was used to "Huh?", or "come again" And, around Deeeeeeetroit, if you are a southerner, you can expect the occasional "say something else, I want to hear you talk" comment, which does take some getting used to.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs