Page 651 of 901 FirstFirst ... 151551601641649650651652653661701751 ... LastLast
Results 6,501 to 6,510 of 9004

Thread: Funny CW moments page 651

fivespice is offline Junior Member
    Last weekend, I drove a couple of hours to go visit my folks at home. As a result of recent events (teaching myself to cook and losing weight by preparing my own meals and eating actual food), it's become a bit of a new tradition for me to prepare a meal for my mom and dad when I come home. They think I'm some sort of master chef, but really, I think they've just become so used to eating out 10+ times per week that anything home-cooked (and Paleo, of course ) tastes amazing and satisfying in comparison. I digress, as they aren't the subjects of my mini-rant—my brother and his wife are.

Now, my parents (despite eating your typical garbage a lot of the time) are pretty open-minded and are willing to try things that I want to make for them. I don't do anything insane or wacky: prime rib, roasted Brussels sprouts (with duck fat and fish sauce), roasted cabbage, asparagus, roasted pork shoulder with crispy skin, etc. No entrails or sheep's heads or anything.

My brother and his wife, though; they are CW in every way, with the classic bland-as-hell SAD palate. I'm not even sure if my sister-in-law cooks meals at home. I think they're a takeout family as well.

Regardless, I was prepping dinner for Mom, Dad, my fiancÚ and me when they came over to say hi. Both my brother and sister-in-law saw the cookie sheet of chicken thighs sitting atop a bed of shredded cabbage and looked at it like it was some sort of foreign, endangered animal. I'm not kidding. You know that slight "lip curled upward in distaste" expression that people make? Bingo. They both just...stared.

"What is that?"

I asked my brother if he could guess at what animal he was looking at.

He had no idea.

My mom felt guilty for not inviting them to dinner, but later as they were (gleefully) eating my chicken thighs (a meal at first they were mildly hesitant about), they told me that there was no way that my brother and his wife could have possibly enjoyed it. Y'know, because of that weird mystery meat that is The Chicken Thigh.

Paleobird Guest
    I think there are a lot of people these days who don't really get it that meat comes with --wait for it--BONES!

They buy everything skinless, boneless, and completely devoid of anything nasty like connective tissue. (All the stuff that makes a good soup stock.) It's like that way they can eat meat but pretend that it doesn't really have anything to do with a dead animal.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fivespice View Post
    Regardless, I was prepping dinner for Mom, Dad, my fiancÚ and me when they came over to say hi. Both my brother and sister-in-law saw the cookie sheet of chicken thighs sitting atop a bed of shredded cabbage and looked at it like it was some sort of foreign, endangered animal. I'm not kidding. You know that slight "lip curled upward in distaste" expression that people make? Bingo. They both just...stared.

"What is that?"

I asked my brother if he could guess at what animal he was looking at.

He had no idea.

My mom felt guilty for not inviting them to dinner, but later as they were (gleefully) eating my chicken thighs (a meal at first they were mildly hesitant about), they told me that there was no way that my brother and his wife could have possibly enjoyed it. Y'know, because of that weird mystery meat that is The Chicken Thigh.
    OMG - that's totally pathetic. Even when I'm cooking the simplest of foods, I have fun in the kitchen. I feel sorry for them.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I LOVE CHICKEN THIGHS.
    Best meat except duck or lamb.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I think there are a lot of people these days who don't really get it that meat comes with --wait for it--BONES!

They buy everything skinless, boneless, and completely devoid of anything nasty like connective tissue. (All the stuff that makes a good soup stock.) It's like that way they can eat meat but pretend that it doesn't really have anything to do with a dead animal.
    Absolutely. When I worked in a lunch restaurant making sandwiches, women were always getting grossed out by the fact that the deli meat we used was more natural and had structure, rather than pureed like baloney or pressed from scraps like cheap "ham" products I guess. The fact that ham was actually a pig's leg was something they couldn't handle.

It's as though they thought roast beef, ham, or turkey breast was grown in a tank rather than cut from an animal.

fivespice is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    OMG - that's totally pathetic. Even when I'm cooking the simplest of foods, I have fun in the kitchen. I feel sorry for them.
    It really is pathetic. The sad thing is that my brother suffers from horrible GI problems, and has been diagnosed with both GERD and IBS. Is acid reflux included in either of those? If not, he has that too (I've never had any of these issues, even when eating a SAD-style diet). His doctor actually recommended to him a primal-style of diet and eliminating gluten from his food sources in hopes of abating his awful digestive issues. He keeps talking about how he wants to start, but I really worry that his habits are so heavily ingrained (he'll be 30 next month) that he won't even bother.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I LOVE CHICKEN THIGHS.
    Best meat except duck or lamb.
    Oh, you better believe I love 'em. Chicken thighs have been one of my culinary (and 'diet') mainstays for years now. An absolute steal, price-wise, and insanely delicious (bordering on decadent, as far as I'm concerned). For me, it's ribeye, pork shoulder, and chicken thighs. Chicken wings ain't half bad either.

I always, always roast my thighs on a cookie sheet on top of a bed of whatever mess of vegetables I have on hand—that way, the delicious drippings resulting from the fatty skin aid in the roasting of said veggies waiting underneath. Toss chicken under the screaming hot broiler for a few minutes when you're within a few degrees of your desired internal temperature, and you have an obscenely delicious dish.

One of the hardest things for me to accept was the price of well-raised chicken over CAFO chicken. Pork is tough also. Both of these meats offered as CAFO are incredibly cheap. Still, when I'd gone about two months without eating chicken, I finally sucked it up and bought a pastured one. Let me tell you, I savored every bite, and let nothing go to waste.

Here in New Orleans, we can have four chickens per household (which is pretty cool for a city). If I ever look to move, I'll be asking if I can have chickens.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Here in New Orleans, we can have four chickens per household (which is pretty cool for a city). If I ever look to move, I'll be asking if I can have chickens.
    That's cool. I don't think we're supposed to have any. With only 2 persons in the household, it's probably not worth considering anyway.

The other day I was digging out in the garden and noticed there were 3 chickens there with me. It turns out the neighbor behind me has about a dozen, and they got out and ended up all over the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    That's cool. I don't think we're supposed to have any. With only 2 persons in the household, it's probably not worth considering anyway.

The other day I was digging out in the garden and noticed there were 3 chickens there with me. It turns out the neighbor behind me has about a dozen, and they got out and ended up all over the neighborhood.
    Portland OR? or ME? I think Oregon just passed some kind of backyard farming law that allows everyone to have chickens, gardens, etc. I've been getting emails from friends to "come back home."

B*tch-lite

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    With only 2 persons in the household, it's probably not worth considering anyway.
    It would definitely be worth it. Two or three chickens laying an egg a day would be a great contribution to your pantry.
    I'm about to inherit four chickens, I am excited. I eat two eggs per morning and use more in cooking.