Page 647 of 879 FirstFirst ... 147547597637645646647648649657697747 ... LastLast
Results 6,461 to 6,470 of 8788

Thread: Funny CW moments page 647

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Confession.... I love a really good cheeseburger on a bun. And I feel like that guy does "DAYUM".

I've eaten like 3 cheeseburgers on buns with real beef in the last...20 years (from vegetarian to primal). They really are DAYUM. LIke my favorite food. As in, my last supper would be a giant cheeseburger on a bun with bacon, ketchup, pickles and duke;s mayo.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    I think your mistake is assuming that the parents who let their kids eat mac n' cheese and hot dogs all the time actually cook anything... When I was a kid, my parents always cooked a lot and incorporated me into making stuff in the kitchen, which got me interested in creating delicious, whole foods meals. I was proud of it, and always appreciated yummy vegetables and meat. But, my friend --unfortunately-- had parents who just let her eat whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted, without supervision. They'd buy plenty of packaged goods for themselves: ice cream, chips, hot dogs (with cheese already in the center, yummm) chocolate, etc. When she grew up, sadly, she never acquired an appreciation for real, whole foods. When we'd go out to eat together as a group, she'd always be the one to order off the kids menu, while I tried to search for something that was palatable to me.

It's no wonder that whenever I see her these days (about twice a year, since I moved. We've known each other for about 20 years now) and we go out to eat, she always orders something deep-fried, and with the least amount of veg as possible. She always mocks me a bit, in a good mannered sort of way, for ordering salads, or really simple foods on the menu. I also think it goes without saying that she is actually 100 pounds overweight, which makes me upset. She's such a wonderful person, and I know she tries to lose the weight but hasn't quite gotten it yet. It's deep rooted, for her, which says something really bad about these parents you speak of. :/ (... well now, this isn't really funny, is it.)
    I really think that our diet is imprinted on us in our first few years of life. After that, few people have the flexibility to consider making a serious, permanent change to the way of eating they learned at home.

Parents expect the schools to teach their kids about healthy foods and how to make good choices, so the parents won't have to teach their kids themselves by setting a good example at home. But God forbid if schools stop serving corn chips with cheez wiz or french fries as a lunch option and trample on their little darlings' free choice!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Confession.... I love a really good cheeseburger on a bun. And I feel like that guy does "DAYUM".

I've eaten like 3 cheeseburgers on buns with real beef in the last...20 years (from vegetarian to primal). They really are DAYUM. LIke my favorite food. As in, my last supper would be a giant cheeseburger on a bun with bacon, ketchup, pickles and duke;s mayo.
    That is why I allow myself one non-primal day or meal per week. I'm not a big cheeseburger fan, but a good burger with tomato, onion, and garlic mayo, between a couple of slices of sourdough - DAYUM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    I think your mistake is assuming that the parents who let their kids eat mac n' cheese and hot dogs all the time actually cook anything... When I was a kid, my parents always cooked a lot and incorporated me into making stuff in the kitchen, which got me interested in creating delicious, whole foods meals. I was proud of it, and always appreciated yummy vegetables and meat. But, my friend --unfortunately-- had parents who just let her eat whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted, without supervision. They'd buy plenty of packaged goods for themselves: ice cream, chips, hot dogs (with cheese already in the center, yummm) chocolate, etc.
    I also grew up with parents who always cooked from scratch with real ingredients. It was much easier back in the 60's for a mom to be a housewife instead of working in an office all day, and she had the time to prepare wholesome meals on a daily basis (I'm not casting judgement on women who choose to work, just stating fact). Today, I'm adamant to make sure our children have home cooked meals every day from quality ingredients. Having said that, I couldn't help but think of this very nice young girl who's a friend of our daughter, they're both 12 years old. Her mom basically never cooks. This poor (not monetarily) girl eats nothing but boxed mac n' cheese, hot dogs and frozen pizza. She has no concept of a home cooked meal. It's both sad and scary at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I really think that our diet is imprinted on us in our first few years of life. After that, few people have the flexibility to consider making a serious, permanent change to the way of eating they learned at home.
    I second that 1,000,000.00 times over. It's so important to shape the food pallet of our kids from day one. Their childhood memories should really be from quality food and then they always revert back to make the right choices later in life.
    Last edited by ilovesteak; 04-23-2013 at 10:51 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesteak View Post
    I also grew up with parents who always cooked from scratch with real ingredients. It was much easier back in the 60's for a mom to be a housewife instead of working in an office all day, and she had the time to prepare wholesome meals on a daily basis (I'm not casting judgement on women who choose to work, just stating fact).
    I grew up in the 60s. In our neighborhood, my mom, who worked (when most other housewives in the area didn't), was the only one who cooked meals from scratch. Families of my friends ate tv dinners most of the time.

I grew up in the 60s. In our neighborhood, my mom, who worked (when most other housewives in the area didn't), was the only one who cooked meals from scratch. Families of my friends ate tv dinners most of the time.
    Maybe I have a different experience because I grew up in Sweden. No TV dinners there at the time.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    This.

I also have worked my whole life (since age 16) and I managed to cook nutritious meals every night for my family.

Again, I don't intend to cast judgement on anyone who chooses to work. Unfortunately it's becoming harder and harder in our society, with our hectic lifestyles, to afford having one parent stay home. I'm just saying that when a parent has the opportunity to stay home, it naturally becomes easier to dedicate the time to shop and cook from scratch with fresh quality ingredients.

I applaud anyone who manages to accomplish that feat while also holding down a full-time job.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    When I married my now husband, he was custodial dad to 4 - from 16 to 11-yr old twins. He was a shift worker at the time, too.
    Meals, as you can imagine, were pretty simple, though not entirely microwave meals.

I was pleased to discover that his kids considered veggies to be a real treat. Couldn't keep cauliflower in the house. Nor brussel sprouts. They started bringing their friends home for meals... on any given day, I might be feeding 10 people!

They are all grown now, and even our single, footloose & fancy free son, knows how to cook and prefers to cook food, rather than eat "fast food" or packaged/frozen/microwave crap. I fondly remember the time he thanked me, quite seriously (he was 14 I think) for never, ever using "Hamburger Helper".

Primitiva is offline Member
    I was looking at the frozen section of my local Walmart and a "new" sign caught my atention, for a new product called 'Fresh Frozen Foods'. I bought some awsome things like sliced squash, california blend, summer blend, fajita blend, stew mix everything fine.

But then this was slap in the middle of this package: zero fat

updated
    Last edited by Primitiva; 04-23-2013 at 06:06 PM.