Page 646 of 881 FirstFirst ... 146546596636644645646647648656696746 ... LastLast
Results 6,451 to 6,460 of 8802

Thread: Funny CW moments page 646

Polecatz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Certainly the UK has a bizarre children's food culture which seems to focus on processed foods and tricking children into eating healthily (eg questionable sugary drinks boasting that they are containing five a day as it is "too much to expect" them to actually like veggies so we have to disguise it as something else).

There are very low expectations of kids' palates. An assumption that they have to be given snacks and treats all the time and that they will only eat foods that are bland or sweet. My friend's little boy likes olives,hummus and strong flavours like that. Cool kid.

CW people have a weird relationship with food - almost like it is an enemy. Most people think that anything that tastes nice is bad for you. So healthy food must taste crap and eating healthy means deprivation and punishing yourself. The typical lunch in my office is a sandwich, a fizzy drink and a bag of crisps and maybe a fruit. Eating whilst typing away. Depressing.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The question is, when society suddenly decide that the whims of kids should be catered to with a menu of all junk food and sweetened beverages all the time rather than being served the same food the rest of the family was eating, and that they would taught to appreciate healthy food by their schools, or acquire an appreciation on their own later?
    We went out for dinner last night to a very nice italian restuarant, and sure enough there was the 'kids menu' with mac cheese, deep fried anything/everything, soda blah blah yuck! My kids (who aren't Primal but are healthy and reasonable) were happy for us to order from the adults menu for them and each had a sparkling water to drink. They were so pleased to have a special grown ups meal at a nice restuarant, and I suspect they ate more than they would have if we'd gone to MacDonalds.

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    I have a 22 month-old son. We let him watch a couple TV shows during the day (he loves Mickey Mouse and superheroes). Other than that, he's playing and learning the rest of the day.

On the Disney Jr. channel, they have a couple animated shorts in between their regular shows. One of them is called "The Bite-sized Adventures of Sam Sandwich". It's about a superhero sandwich and his vegetable sidekick (he's made out of vegetables!), who fight villains that try to get kids to eat junk fast food. The theme song starts "He's the hero made of bread..." *facepalm*

While I applaud promoting "healthy eating", bread isn't on the list of "healthy".
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    The Sam sandwich thing also gets on my nerves. It's too bad the broccoli needs to be the sidekick!

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
    The Sam sandwich thing also gets on my nerves. It's too bad the broccoli needs to be the sidekick!
    It should be "Sam Steak"!
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

stormcrow is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    We went out for dinner last night to a very nice italian restuarant, and sure enough there was the 'kids menu' with mac cheese, deep fried anything/everything, soda blah blah yuck! My kids (who aren't Primal but are healthy and reasonable) were happy for us to order from the adults menu for them and each had a sparkling water to drink. They were so pleased to have a special grown ups meal at a nice restuarant, and I suspect they ate more than they would have if we'd gone to MacDonalds.
    I'm lucky that my son has always preferred "real" food to kids meals. He's 13 now, but even when he was 5-6 he'd much rather have a steak or salmon than chicken fingers.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    I'm lucky that my son has always preferred "real" food to kids meals. He's 13 now, but even when he was 5-6 he'd much rather have a steak or salmon than chicken fingers.
    My 15 yr. old son is the same way. When he was at school (he's been unschooled since the 5th grade) the school would have a pizza party as a reward after testing, he never saw it as one.

If you don't introduce kids to junk food early they don't have a preference for it. My son has always prefered strong flavored, real foods: aged cheeses, shitake mushrooms, grilled mackerel.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    I had an aunt, who used to always complain that her children would "only eat chips" (and other junk food). Strangely, when the cousins visited us on their own, they would come out into our garden and gather eggs from the hens, berries from the vines and vegetables from the greenhouse, and then help cook and eat a wholesome dinner with us. The aunt was pretty lazy and didn't do chores around the house, so we were pretty certain that she never offered them anything except packaged junk.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    How would this guy feel about actually good food, if he feels so strongly about this meal? I've never felt this way about any meal...

Hahaha. I love that video. Yes, his emotion seems to come from deep within.

One summer I had a hostess job at a restaurant. We had a kids' menu, with crayons and everything. Inevitably some parents would be insulted that I offered their kid the kids' menu... But then other parents wouldn't dream of having their 12 yr old order off the regular menu. It was so weird to see these older kids who clearly never eat anything but mac and cheese and hot dogs, even on vacation with their families. It made me wonder if their parents cook them a whole separate meal at home. Who needs that nonsense?