Page 64 of 873 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164564 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny CW moments page 64

JanuaryEmber is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    It's because of the perception that watching your diet without surgery requires less self-control than dealing with the physical pain of a surgery and the recovery. Unfortunately a lot of folks are fooling themselves because they still have to watch their diet after getting the surgery. Forever. Or they end up learning to "eat around the band" and end up getting fat again in an even less healthy way.

The extensive counseling required before one of these surgeries is _supposed_ to address that, but I am sure a lot of people just nod and agree without really internalizing it.

This. My step-dad got gastric bypass the same time as someone we knew who was just as big. My step-dad continued to watch his diet while the other man did not. My step dad is down like 200 pounds, the other man is still just as huge as he was because he thought it was a miracle cure, that he wouldn't have to stop pigging out on crap and that just isn't how it is.
    "Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JanuaryEmber View Post
    she's one of those people who 'could never give up bread/ice cream/etc.
    So presumably she doesn't realize she will have to give up bread after the surgery, too? Bread, pasta, rice... all these bulky carbs are no-nos, as I understand it from my BIL who had the surgery a couple years ago.
    Last edited by Jenny; 05-16-2011 at 06:04 PM.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    See, that's what confuses me. You can get surgery first and then have to be on a prescribed diet for the rest of your life, or you could try changing your eating without the surgery and the accompanying pain. Even if your diet had to suck for the rest of your life (which primal doesn't!), why the hell would you add on the pain of surgery first? Let's see, one kind of sacrifice or two? Hmmmm.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imasin View Post
    One of my roommates told me that while beef is nutritious, it's also bad for you because it stays in your body for a long time and it takes a long time for your body to digest it. lolwut? She couldn't explain why, but someone told her this when she was younger and she just kind of took it as fact (and stopped eating beef for a while). *shakes head*
    That. Right there. That is what's wrong with us as a human race. That you can hold on so tight to a belief when you don't even know WHERE you got the damn thing, and you have NO proof or research or anything to tell you it's any more true than any other crap someone says somewhere.

Mix that in with the psychological barriers-- "I don't want to believe that because I'd have to either stop doing something I want to keep doing or do something I don't want to, so therefore it's not true", and again... this is why I think diet is our new evolutionary testing grounds. Those who can use rational judgment and logic even if it points them in a way they would rather not particularly go will be able to survive. The rest will all be floating around in their hovercraft lounge chairs with their liquid food and insulin pumps.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

nax
    nax is offline Member

Can't win them all, or any that can't think on their own...

I just had a buddy say "It occurred to me that most primitive individuals barely made it to their 40s." I gave him referenced information on the life expectancies through time (it took from the advent of agriculture to the 6th or 7th century to get back up to an average of mid 30's as it was pre ag). Then he proceeded to use this The Primal Diet: Where It Goes Wrong as his evidence against Paleo/Primal.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    J. Stanton

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    See, that's what confuses me. You can get surgery first and then have to be on a prescribed diet for the rest of your life, or you could try changing your eating without the surgery and the accompanying pain. Even if your diet had to suck for the rest of your life (which primal doesn't!), why the hell would you add on the pain of surgery first? Let's see, one kind of sacrifice or two? Hmmmm.
    This! My beautiful SIL almost died from a gastic bypass proceedure and I damned near bit my tongue in half to keep from asking her the same question!! She finally recovered (thank God) and over time almost reached her goal weight before starting to put it back on. WTF indeed - all that risk, all that pain. What's next, remove the stomach altogether?

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Talking with my roommate last night about running, he was horrified at the idea of me sprinting in my vibrams, and said he thought running in well-supported shoes with long strides and rolling heel-strikes was the best way to run.
    Tell him to Google 'Tarahumara Indians'.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    And honestly, we don't know the long-term health impacts of bypass procedures--I wonder if it will increase or reduce lifespan in comparison to people who would qualify but opt not to have the surgery. There's some possibility that malabsorption issues and chronic nutritional deficiencies relating to bypass surgery may do more health damage than simply remaining fat in the long term.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nax View Post
    I just had a buddy say "It occurred to me that most primitive individuals barely made it to their 40s." I gave him referenced information on the life expectancies through time (it took from the advent of agriculture to the 6th or 7th century to get back up to an average of mid 30's as it was pre ag). Then he proceeded to use this The Primal Diet: Where It Goes Wrong as his evidence against Paleo/Primal.
    I had a read of that and just about cracked up at one part.

The author claims that the Inuit people had the highest incidence of hip fractures in the world due to eating too much meat. Talk about confusing correlation with causation. This totally ignores something so obvious it's ridiculous....

They walk around on ice/snow all day!!!

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    It's because of the perception that watching your diet without surgery requires less self-control than dealing with the physical pain of a surgery and the recovery. Unfortunately a lot of folks are fooling themselves because they still have to watch their diet after getting the surgery. Forever. Or they end up learning to "eat around the band" and end up getting fat again in an even less healthy way.

The extensive counseling required before one of these surgeries is _supposed_ to address that, but I am sure a lot of people just nod and agree without really internalizing it.
    I've often wondered if "willpower" is the magic weight loss solution, how long will it be before we are doing weight loss brain surgery?
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7