Page 621 of 887 FirstFirst ... 121521571611619620621622623631671721 ... LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,210 of 8869

Thread: Funny CW moments page 621

eKatherine is offline Senior Member

Used to love that oatmeal!

Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Oatmeal is filling when you have it with cream
    And butter, cheese, sausage meat, and eggs.

My mother told me when she was a kid they used to serve oatmeal with butter rather than sugar. I tried it that way and liked it so much I always served porridge that way. I turned out to be sensitive to oats, as many with gluten intolerance are.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    So, we had roast pigs head yesterday ($3 for 1/2 a head!), and I finished up the rest by making it the bast of a soup, which the wif and me had for breakfast. But I didn't slice all the bits up small...

Turns out she's too squeamish to eat a whole pigs nose in her soup for breakfast....
    When I spent 3 weeks in Santiago de Compostela, there was a stall in the public market that only sold dried pig faces. I took a photo, but I don't know if I still have it someplace. I'll look on my backup drive I keep at work when I go into the office again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    Some foods have "CW halos" that make them good until someone "uncovers" the truth: they're not. Then people stop having them. A lot of people think of muffins as "health foods" because a plain muffin is marginally better (in terms of kcals, satiety and chemical content) than a cake or most breakfast cereals. They ignore these facts:
    -only marginally better, which doesn't mean "healthy"#
    -only PLAIN muffins are better
    -it's usually "better per 100g", so, if you eat more muffin, you cancel out any improvement
    And, in a few weeks, there will be an "expose" on the "hidden secret" of muffins and why they aren't healthy after all.

I'm guessing the same goes for wraps: because they're usually smaller (smaller = less kcals by default), have less bread content and the bread is sometimes less processed, they have a "halo".

CW is strange even within its own "rules".
    Actually I see it as a magical principle I call "innocence by association" thing. Everybody "knows" that they add lots of good healthy things to muffins. Lots of people "know" that muffins are a good choice because the calorie count is low, when in fact the numbers they saw were for the small muffins that used to be made in regular size muffin pans to be served on the side of bacon, eggs, and potatoes. Everybody "knows" muffins are "good for you" because you see them (occasionally) advertised as "fat-free" or "low-fat". Therefore, all muffins have these attributes. They are fat-free, packed with heart-healthy add-ins, and low in calories.

I worked in a bakery for a while where we made giant muffins, which at the time was rather a new thing. People loved them. The most popular one was blueberry, which was pure cake. I forget how many the recipe made, but it had 4 pounds of butter in it. One variety we made was fat-free. It had whole wheat, oats, bran, chopped apples, raisins, carrots, "natural sweetener" like honey, and other stuff. I calculated the calorie count at 650 calories per each. They were like lead, they were so heavy. A stout middle-aged woman would come in daily to buy one because her doctor said she had to have fat-free. So she was probably getting half her calories for the day in what she undoubtedly thought was a healthy snack.

Another time a woman complained that the ham had a little strip of fat around the outside. It was real ham. After that I had to remove that fat. But I think what she was upset about was not that it had an infinitesimal amount of fat, but that it had structure, as meat does. She wanted something that looked like it was grown in a tank.

I lol'd so much working at that place.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    ^^pass the bacon!! I could have been the muffin lady! LOL
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by fifer View Post
    I assume they meant it would kill you three times over... the unhealthy burger (red meat is deadly!) the eggs (all that cholesterol will clog you up!) and the bacon (OMG you will die!)
    Every time you eat like that, three vegans have metaphorical heart attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    They really are generally more concerned with animal life than health in general because most are driven by ethics rather than health concerns, or at least to a greater degree.
    For instance, when facing diagnosed B12 deficiency most still will not take a better animal derived supplement even if their health continues to fail because the "vegan supplement" they are using is not well absorbed.
    Visit a raw vegan or fruitarian forum sometime, where they're all trying to convince themselves that their clear symptoms of malnutrition are simply a sign of continued "detox" after a year or more on the program. Transparent teeth and hair falling out, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    My "funny" CW moment for the day is, I was bad and bought some on-sale valentine candy. I got some of the "queen" brand chocolate covered cherries, the ubiquitous type around at this time. I ate one and all I could taste was the plastic packaging - whatever is in all the plastic they use had infused the candy and it was disgusting. All I could taste was like nasty polystyrene. So I put the rest out in the common area (at work). I also swore off those instant noodles in a cup awhile ago (before paleo), because I could taste the styrofoam container, or whatever additive they have in the plastic, in the food. Similarly, not that any of you would be eating bakery items but, the cheap plastic decorations (most likely from china) they stick on top of decorative cupcakes also do this-- infuse the food with chemicals from the plastic, to the point the entire cupcake tastes like the plastic. There are a lot of sources of synthetic chemical contamination out there, and who knows what chronic health problems they are causing...
    There's something about the fake smell of chocolates with "fruit" fillings that has grossed me out for many years, so if I walked into a store selling them I would have to turn around and walk right back out.

One year I bought fresh sweet cherries, pitted them, coated them with fondant, and dipped them in chocolate to bring to a party. They were amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yenni View Post
    I can't stay away from this thread even if I now have a palm print permanently imprinted on my face.

Over the last few months I've noticed a lot of incredulous looks, when I walk outside usually with no hat, no gloves, jacket open and in sweats, while most people are very much covered up from head to toe and still shivering. The temperature has varied between -15C and +1C, and granted when it's been in the colder end or windy I've covered up better, but I still just wear a t-shirt under my warm coat instead of my prior three layer get up. Sometimes I feel like taking off my coat to see the disapproving stares of older ladies who seem to think I'll "catch death" the way I'm going.
    Last month I was waiting on the street in Chicago for a bus that ended up being over an hour late. I think I was eating 75% fat that weekend. The colder it got, the harder the wind blew, the more energy I had. I felt like all I needed was a piece of blubber, a spear, and my trusty leather kayak, so I could hunt a seal. RAWR!

I felt sorry for everybody else, huddling like refugees.

KotikBegemotik is offline Senior Member
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."-Winston Churchill

"Keep Calm and Carry On"-British Wartime Poster

"Don't Panic"
    -H2G2

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just recently, I was eating a healthy clam chowder. It consisted of homemade chicken stock, clams, about a ton of miscellaneous vegetables and some bacon and coconut milk. A relative came up when I was noshing and asked me if it was healthy food. I said yes, and he said that healthy food never tastes any good. I was puzzled and said, "But this is delicious."

Healthy food doesn't taste bad when I'm Primal.