Page 620 of 879 FirstFirst ... 120520570610618619620621622630670720 ... LastLast
Results 6,191 to 6,200 of 8788

Thread: Funny CW moments page 620

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    OK, no more talk about shingles... ugh...

Last night I went out with coworkers to celebrate a coworker's promotion. All of the appetizers the group ordered were battered and fried (onion rings, calamari) or bread-based (flatbread pizza), so I ordered a shrimp cocktail. A few of the women my age just said, "That's why you're so thin! Because all you eat is stuff like that!" pointing at the two jumbo shrimp I took from the plate when it arrived. They didn't bother taking any of it, instead chowing down on onion rings dipped in some goopy mayonnaise-based dressing that definitely came from a bottle. They could've helped themselves to some nice, big shrimp (they were probably prawns, now that I think about it... SO GOOD!) but they didn't... and ended up complaining about how over-stuffed they felt afterwards.

>> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    The phrases "jumbo shrimp" and "big shrimp" make me smile, but I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to language.

Your story really does touch the root of the problem. Even though they aren't Primal, your co-workers can recognize the better food choice - yet still choose crap.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    Your story really does touch the root of the problem. Even though they aren't Primal, your co-workers can recognize the better food choice - yet still choose crap.
    That was the point of my story, but maybe not too clear. I'm an Engineer, for crying out loud! Words do not come easily... numbers do!

But, yes, that was what was funny about the situation and made my head hurt just trying to figure out why they didn't have any of the prawns... especially when I specifically didn't eat all of them (because sharing is caring!). I'd naively hoped that they would at least have one and realize that is the tastier and more satisfying choice.

Yenni is offline Junior Member
    I can't stay away from this thread even if I now have a palm print permanently imprinted on my face.

Over the last few months I've noticed a lot of incredulous looks, when I walk outside usually with no hat, no gloves, jacket open and in sweats, while most people are very much covered up from head to toe and still shivering. The temperature has varied between -15C and +1C, and granted when it's been in the colder end or windy I've covered up better, but I still just wear a t-shirt under my warm coat instead of my prior three layer get up. Sometimes I feel like taking off my coat to see the disapproving stares of older ladies who seem to think I'll "catch death" the way I'm going.

Mrs. FW had the Food Channel on the other night, and Trisha Yearwood (the country singer) apparently has a cooking show. She and her sister and some friends were cooking a meal in memory of Trisha's mom, apparently died of some form of cancer. Promoted Susan G. Komen, but then did a whole show on mom's favorites... cooked "healthy." "Even when Mom was in her 70s, she was changing her recipes to make them healthier." Wow, that's great! Let's see what those healthy substitutions were!

First up, "Georgia Pate," basically hummus made with peanuts. OK, fine, peanuts. I'll still eat peanut butter once in a while, and the rest of the ingredients were fine. But of course, you have to ear hummus with chips or crackers. Well THAT'S healthy...

Then "chickenless" pot pie. Presumably because chicken is so bad for you. So, a roux (with WeverTF "butter substitute" is, and wheat flour, natch!) with chicken stock instead of milk or cream (evil, evil milkfats!), a bunch of veg, and all of it into "store bought" pie crust, and topped with the other crust (because we need more healthy grains, and of course more "butter substitute" margarine/hydro industrial oil!).

And then, they made a three layer cake, because mom was a baker! Let's gobble up a few pounds of wheat flour and sugar and shortening! But thank the dear Lord baby Jesus they eliminated chicken, milk, and butter. Because no doubt those are the true dietary evils. Facepalmed so many times I felt like I'd been through a robotic slapper machine.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    that pot pie sounds gross, and i'm southern. i know gross.
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    "Now let's go do some crunches!"
    That is the most pointless exercise known to man except maybe light curls. I could do crunches all day, yet I cry like a baby after 45 seconds of a plank. I don't think I've ever actually felt a crunch in my abs.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    That is the most pointless exercise known to man except maybe light curls. I could do crunches all day, yet I cry like a baby after 45 seconds of a plank. I don't think I've ever actually felt a crunch in my abs.
    Ditto. If I do crunches, I feel it mostly in my neck. My personal trainer used to tell me that it was because I was pulling on my head or going forward rather than "up" but no matter how he adjusted my form, I still would hurt in my neck rather than my abs. (I still do side-crunches though, which I do feel in my lower obliques.)

I love planks and do so many varieties of them because they are AMAZING at strengthening your core and even arms!

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Ditto. If I do crunches, I feel it mostly in my neck. My personal trainer used to tell me that it was because I was pulling on my head or going forward rather than "up" but no matter how he adjusted my form, I still would hurt in my neck rather than my abs. (I still do side-crunches though, which I do feel in my lower obliques.)

I love planks and do so many varieties of them because they are AMAZING at strengthening your core and even arms!
    QFT. Crunches are basically useless. Your core is supposed to support and balance you when doing other movements, so lying on the floor half-assedly squeezing them a little bit is a waste of time (and, as you mentioned, often an unnecessary strain on the neck). Side-crunches for the obliques are better, also "leg lift" crunches to work the lower abs usually work pretty well if youre flexible enough that you can get your legs up without straining your low back.

I'm a bellydancer so I'm always looking up new stretches and exercises for the pelvis and core muscles. If you like planks and working the obliques, I recently found this exercise and I looooove it:

A Core Exercise for Belly Dance: The Twisting Plank - YouTube
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    I'm a bellydancer so I'm always looking up new stretches and exercises for the pelvis and core muscles. If you like planks and working the obliques, I recently found this exercise and I looooove it:

A Core Exercise for Belly Dance: The Twisting Plank - YouTube
    Mark should include that in the next edition of the PBF. That looks great.