Page 616 of 871 FirstFirst ... 116516566606614615616617618626666716 ... LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,160 of 8705

Thread: Funny CW moments page 616

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHorse View Post
    I would say, as people who take their religion seriously, they most probably don't do drugs, drink&drive, one night stands (STD) and other risky activities. That alone could rise the life expectancy compared to average. In average you have to count in all those who die really young too.
    This. From what I know about 7 Day Adventists (which isn't much) they're health nuts when it comes to a lot more than just their diets.
    Plus, lets face it, saying that someone is healthier than your average American is like saying that your average American is healthier than your average chemotherapy patient. The bar isn't that high.
    I also believe that I heard in a lecture once that of the Adventists studied, it was the ones who were Pescatarian that were the healthiest.
    I agree with you though, I think there are ways vegetarianism can be healthy.

My comment about Durianrider had nothing to do with vegetarianism as a whole. Rather his angry, fat-phobic blog posts.

sires6 is offline Senior Member
    I agree about the Seventh Day Adventists too. Good comparison. Of course they are going to live longer. Same could be said about a lot of people who don't have such a risky lifestyle.. like the Amish who are consummate meat eaters.

I heard a joke at the Amish butcher yeasterday. The cashier is a good guy named Johnathon, friend of the owner. Johnathon said we process everything here. We even sell the squeal. We make it into oinkment. And I walked away with my 40 lbs of grassfed beef and hog.
    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Oinkment - LOL!

Since the 1860s when the church began, wholeness and health have been an emphasis of the Adventist church.[30] Adventists are known for presenting a "health message" that recommends vegetarianism and expects adherence to the kosher laws in Leviticus 11. Obedience to these laws means abstinence from pork, shellfish, and other foods proscribed as "unclean". The church discourages its members from the use of alcohol, tobacco or illegal drugs (compare Christianity and alcohol). In addition, some Adventists avoid coffee, tea, cola, and other beverages containing caffeine.
    Sanitarium products on sale

The pioneers of the Adventist Church had much to do with the common acceptance of breakfast cereals into the Western diet, and the "modern commercial concept of cereal food" originated among Adventists.[31] John Harvey Kellogg was one of the early founders of Adventist health work. His development of breakfast cereals as a health food led to the founding of Kellogg's by his brother William. In both Australia and New Zealand, the church-owned Sanitarium Health Food Company is a leading manufacturer of health and vegetarian-related products, most prominently Weet-Bix.

Research funded by the U.S. National Institutes of Health has shown that the average Adventist in California lives 4 to 10 years longer than the average Californian. The research, as cited by the cover story of the November 2005 issue of National Geographic, asserts that Adventists live longer because they do not smoke or drink alcohol, have a day of rest every week, and maintain a healthy, low-fat vegetarian diet that is rich in nuts and beans.[32][33] The cohesiveness of Adventists' social networks has also been put forward as an explanation of their extended lifespan.[34] Since Dan Buettner's 2005 National Geographic story about Adventist longevity, his book, The Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who've Lived the Longest, named Loma Linda, California a "blue zone" because of the large concentration of Seventh-day Adventists. He cites the Adventist emphasis on health, diet, and Sabbath-keeping as primary factors for Adventist longevity.[35][36]

An estimated 35% of Adventists practice vegetarianism, according to a 2002 worldwide survey of local church leaders.[37][38]

Adventists' clean lifestyles were recognized by the U.S. military in 1954 when 2,200 Adventists volunteered for Operation Whitecoat to be human test subjects for a range of diseases the effects of which were still unknown:

The first task for the scientists was to find people willing to be infected by pathogens that could make them very sick. They found them in the followers of the Seventh-day Adventist faith. Although willing to serve their country when drafted, the Adventists refused to bear arms. As a result many of them became medics. Now the U.S. was offering recruits an opportunity to help in a different manner: to volunteer for biological tests as a way of satisfying their military obligations. When contacted in late 1954, the Adventist hierarchy readily agreed to this plan. For Camp Detrick scientists, church members were a model test population, since most of them were in excellent health and they neither drank, smoked, nor used caffeine. From the perspective of the volunteers, the tests gave them a way to fulfill their patriotic duty while remaining true to their beliefs.[39]
    From here: Seventh-day Adventist Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I don't think that the Adventist lifestyle can be overemphasized in relation to their longevity either... not just diet.

Of course not all are vegetarian. But even those who do eat meat are encouraged to eat high quality clean foods and eat organically.
    The exercise that they do is not the same as most "Americans" as it is not vanity exercise... if you get what I'm saying. Looking good is not really the focus of their routine, just being healthier.
    Also the emphasis on being at peace with ones self and other... emphasis on family and community bonds...
    Its different even than other churches from what I saw of it. It seems a little more "eastern feeling".

My mother in law went to an Adventist church for a while... might still (she just doesn't try to impress it onto me anymore).
    A good comparison, a 7DA picnic vs. a regular church picnic...

7DA... salads/potato salads, fruits, nuts, waters, herbal teas, cookies... (I never observed them eating a lot of "fake" meats)
    *communal church picnics were kept purely vegetarian*

Average church picnic... chips, cheese doodles, cupcakes, cookies, burgers, hotdogs, sodas... (basically all crap)

Yeah.
    Last edited by cori93437; 02-16-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Wait... how is that a "triple-kill meal".

Also, it looks freaking delicious!
    I assume they meant it would kill you three times over... the unhealthy burger (red meat is deadly!) the eggs (all that cholesterol will clog you up!) and the bacon (OMG you will die!)

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fifer View Post
    I assume they meant it would kill you three times over... the unhealthy burger (red meat is deadly!) the eggs (all that cholesterol will clog you up!) and the bacon (OMG you will die!)
    Yep, that's exactly what they meant. Oh, well... I wasn't going to share with them anyway.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fifer View Post
    Coming from a vegan... no... or could go either way.
    They meant that the animals had to die.
    They really are generally more concerned with animal life than health in general because most are driven by ethics rather than health concerns, or at least to a greater degree.
    For instance, when facing diagnosed B12 deficiency most still will not take a better animal derived supplement even if their health continues to fail because the "vegan supplement" they are using is not well absorbed.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Coworkers reading the nutrition label on a large bag of "Orville Redenbacher's Sweet and Salty Kettlecorn".

Grabs bag, eats a handful, then starts reading the label.

"This is actually not too bad for you. It even has omega's!!" (omega 6 btw, not to mention the 15g of sugar per serving)

Eats another handful.

"These are really good!!"

One more handful.

"Hmmm, kinda feels like I just ate a sugarcube though..."

That's when I walked away.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think I just read somewhere that the lining of microwave popcorn bags contain BPA. So that is a triple kill: corn, sugar, bpa - yum, can I have some? (Not.)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Not totally CW, but my vegan friends are entertaining me right now! I used to be vegan for about a year from 2010 through 2011 and before that I was toying with the idea for years, making lots of vegan friends in the process. I've since moved out of the city where I had these friends but do keep in touch with them because, despite their misguided views on diet, they're good people.

Anyway, I posted this photo of tonight's dinner (big ol' grass-fed burger topped with bacon and egg, atop baby spinach) on instagram, and my vegan friends are freaking out:

The first comment was, "Paleo looks unhealthy as all get-out!" His girlfriend promptly followed it with, "A triple-kill meal... "

I replied with, "My cholesterol and LDLs are lower than ever, and my body fat has decreased. Never leaving the paleo/primal world!"

The second commenter just replied with a solemn, "" while her boyfriend simply said, "Bullshit."

And, no, I don't eat such huge dinners as this, but it's Valentine's day and this is my gift! :P

Anyway, maybe they're just jealous!
    I want this today!

Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    Coworkers reading the nutrition label on a large bag of "Orville Redenbacher's Sweet and Salty Kettlecorn".

Grabs bag, eats a handful, then starts reading the label.

"This is actually not too bad for you. It even has omega's!!" (omega 6 btw, not to mention the 15g of sugar per serving)

Eats another handful.

"These are really good!!"

One more handful.

"Hmmm, kinda feels like I just ate a sugarcube though..."

That's when I walked away.
    Lol
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.