Page 614 of 841 FirstFirst ... 114514564604612613614615616624664714 ... LastLast
Results 6,131 to 6,140 of 8407

Thread: Funny CW moments page 614

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    What's the deal (meaning the CW expectation vs. real world data) on plant sterols? I never worried much about them but I just saw that my new bottle of multivitamins contains them.
    Ed W. Age:35 Height: 6'4"
    SW: 289 (1/1/12) CW: 195 (11/1/12) GW: < 200 (Hit 198 on 10/3/12) Now onto body comp.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    What kind of floors me is that I hardly ever see anyone in a grocery store reading labels. I know a lot of grocery shopping is really repeating what you did last time you shopped, but really, I'm a people watcher, and there is a huge amount of faith in what that can or bottle says on the front. The one that really taught me was "Tuna in Water" - had soy in it.

Even more distressing is the blind faith some people have in Whole Foods Market. I shop there a lot, and for this area, it has the best selection and prices for grass fed beef and organic veggies (fresh and frozen), but once I'm out of the produce aisle and away from the meat counter, I read every label before it goes into my cart. Veggie oils and soy abound.
    Reading labels is also how you find some amazingly healthy alternatives to the usual crap you may "cheat" with.
    Tesco's own brand or jarred tomato-sauce is 75p/500g. It's just over half tomato and bulked with all sorts of crap.
    The best option I knew of until now, if you want a healthy, non home-made sauce was a branded version, which doesn't have quite as much rubbish, but is over twice the price (£1.80/500g).
    Today I found a far better option in Pound-Stretcher: same price as Tesco's, but over 85% tomato (mostly plain tomato, but with some paste), made with olive-oil and dried herbs and garlic puree. Not an e-number, veg-oil or chemical in sight. The worst thing in it was a dash of sugar and some salt (and even those in less quantity than the "bargain" or "own brand" sauces!).

By CW-logic, something that cheap can't possibly be better than the expensive branded version. Yet, if you want some tomato for a sauce, it's even better than canned stuff (the chemicals that leach from the can = not good) and than all-bar-one of the branded sauces (which are often £1/250g).

I myself don't use it, but my fiance uses tomato sauce and tinned tomatoes once in a while and I like to keep an eye out for healthier alternatives for him too.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Speaking of reading ingredient labels, I just had a big WTF??? moment that doesnt have to do with the normal CW drivel we see around here but is still head-desk inducing.

In our office kitchen, sometimes people bring in special coffees and teas to share (or dump, if they dont like them). Today someone brought in some flavored Lipton green teas. One was berry, and one was passion fruit and coconut. Im normally a super tea-snob, but I was intrigued by the flavor combination of passion fruit and coconut. Still, im sensitive to soy lecitin, which is often found in flavored teas, so I checked the ingredient label before trying one:

"Green tea, Orange peel, Jasmine tea, Natural coconut flavor, Sunflower lecitin, soy lecitin."

My first thought was "awww, crap, lecitin." My second thought was, "Wait....THERE IS NO PASSION FRUIT FLAVOR IN THIS!!! WTH!!?!!"

I mean, yes the taste of fresh passion fruit is very similar to a citrus taste, so thats probably why they used orange peel instead, but WHAT! THE! HELL! If its ORANGE coconut, thats fine! JUST CALL IT THAT!!!

Stupid, brash, bold-faced marketing lies right to our face. Grrrrr.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Not sure if this fits here or not but a coworker said it today and I find it funny...

"I tried Atkins for two weeks and it worked - I was losing weight - but then I was in a restaurant and there was this sweet little old couple at another table and I just wanted to punch them both and I realized that eating so much meat was making me really aggressive! It's like my body was eating itself because I wasn't giving it any sugar which is like natural body food and in response it was just making me super aggressive. So I stopped and will never do low carb again."

Maybe the CW diet should get credit for America's declining crime rates....

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    Speaking of reading ingredient labels, I just had a big WTF??? moment that doesnt have to do with the normal CW drivel we see around here but is still head-desk inducing.

In our office kitchen, sometimes people bring in special coffees and teas to share (or dump, if they dont like them). Today someone brought in some flavored Lipton green teas. One was berry, and one was passion fruit and coconut. Im normally a super tea-snob, but I was intrigued by the flavor combination of passion fruit and coconut. Still, im sensitive to soy lecitin, which is often found in flavored teas, so I checked the ingredient label before trying one:

"Green tea, Orange peel, Jasmine tea, Natural coconut flavor, Sunflower lecitin, soy lecitin."

My first thought was "awww, crap, lecitin." My second thought was, "Wait....THERE IS NO PASSION FRUIT FLAVOR IN THIS!!! WTH!!?!!"

I mean, yes the taste of fresh passion fruit is very similar to a citrus taste, so thats probably why they used orange peel instead, but WHAT! THE! HELL! If its ORANGE coconut, thats fine! JUST CALL IT THAT!!!

Stupid, brash, bold-faced marketing lies right to our face. Grrrrr.
    In a tea bag?? Oh crap!! Going to check mine when I get home.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    In a tea bag?? Oh crap!! Going to check mine when I get home.
    Oh yeah soy lecithin is REAL common as a component of "natural and artificial flavors" in teas and coffees since it acts as an emulsifier even in dried goods. I think only recently have companies started to label it explicitly, though.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    Not sure if this fits here or not but a coworker said it today and I find it funny...

"I tried Atkins for two weeks and it worked - I was losing weight - but then I was in a restaurant and there was this sweet little old couple at another table and I just wanted to punch them both and I realized that eating so much meat was making me really aggressive! It's like my body was eating itself because I wasn't giving it any sugar which is like natural body food and in response it was just making me super aggressive. So I stopped and will never do low carb again."

Maybe the CW diet should get credit for America's declining crime rates....

HAHAHAHA! This is hysterical. Meat eaters are just SOOO agressive - that's why you meet so many nice/tolerant vegans right?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Leather Couch View Post
    HAHAHAHA! This is hysterical. Meat eaters are just SOOO agressive - that's why you meet so many nice/tolerant vegans right?
    Durian Rider seems pretty darn angry to me... I wonder how much meat he's sneaking!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

sires6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    Oh yeah soy lecithin is REAL common as a component of "natural and artificial flavors" in teas and coffees since it acts as an emulsifier even in dried goods. I think only recently have companies started to label it explicitly, though.
    That's because soy is "healthy" for you!!!
    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Not totally CW, but my vegan friends are entertaining me right now! I used to be vegan for about a year from 2010 through 2011 and before that I was toying with the idea for years, making lots of vegan friends in the process. I've since moved out of the city where I had these friends but do keep in touch with them because, despite their misguided views on diet, they're good people.

Anyway, I posted this photo of tonight's dinner (big ol' grass-fed burger topped with bacon and egg, atop baby spinach) on instagram, and my vegan friends are freaking out:

The first comment was, "Paleo looks unhealthy as all get-out!" His girlfriend promptly followed it with, "A triple-kill meal... "

I replied with, "My cholesterol and LDLs are lower than ever, and my body fat has decreased. Never leaving the paleo/primal world!"

The second commenter just replied with a solemn, "" while her boyfriend simply said, "Bullshit."

And, no, I don't eat such huge dinners as this, but it's Valentine's day and this is my gift! :P

Anyway, maybe they're just jealous!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!