Page 612 of 873 FirstFirst ... 112512562602610611612613614622662712 ... LastLast
Results 6,111 to 6,120 of 8727

Thread: Funny CW moments page 612

yelena is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    Person 1: Last week episode of Dr Oz he spoke about eating greek yogurt in the morning before you eat breakfast. It coats the fat cells in your tummy and keeps from storing fat with anything else you eat.This is my goal!
    Me: ... o.o
    I... wut? I swear, he's just making things up now. That bears no possible relation to any science ever. My brain, it hurts.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    please tell me co-worker just heard him wrong

that can't be real life
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Overheard at work today while putting together my BAS at the salad bar in the cafeteria:

Woman in line ordering: I'll have a chicken cheesesteak in a wrap
    Man in line in front of her: A wrap?? What are you trying to be healthy??
    Woman: Yeah, but trust me, I would really rather be having the bread!!

Me (to myself): But you ARE eating bread . . .

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Leather Couch View Post
    Overheard at work today while putting together my BAS at the salad bar in the cafeteria:

Woman in line ordering: I'll have a chicken cheesesteak in a wrap
    Man in line in front of her: A wrap?? What are you trying to be healthy??
    Woman: Yeah, but trust me, I would really rather be having the bread!!

Me (to myself): But you ARE eating bread . . .
    Some foods have "CW halos" that make them good until someone "uncovers" the truth: they're not. Then people stop having them. A lot of people think of muffins as "health foods" because a plain muffin is marginally better (in terms of kcals, satiety and chemical content) than a cake or most breakfast cereals. They ignore these facts:
    -only marginally better, which doesn't mean "healthy"#
    -only PLAIN muffins are better
    -it's usually "better per 100g", so, if you eat more muffin, you cancel out any improvement
    And, in a few weeks, there will be an "expose" on the "hidden secret" of muffins and why they aren't healthy after all.

I'm guessing the same goes for wraps: because they're usually smaller (smaller = less kcals by default), have less bread content and the bread is sometimes less processed, they have a "halo".

CW is strange even within its own "rules".
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    Some foods have "CW halos" that make them good until someone "uncovers" the truth: they're not. Then people stop having them. A lot of people think of muffins as "health foods" because a plain muffin is marginally better (in terms of kcals, satiety and chemical content) than a cake or most breakfast cereals. They ignore these facts:
    -only marginally better, which doesn't mean "healthy"#
    -only PLAIN muffins are better
    -it's usually "better per 100g", so, if you eat more muffin, you cancel out any improvement
    And, in a few weeks, there will be an "expose" on the "hidden secret" of muffins and why they aren't healthy after all.

I'm guessing the same goes for wraps: because they're usually smaller (smaller = less kcals by default), have less bread content and the bread is sometimes less processed, they have a "halo".

CW is strange even within its own "rules".
    I actually heard once that the average flour tortilla actually has about the same carb and flour content of a piece or two of bread; the only difference is that in bread its all puffy and spread out, while in a tortilla its densely packed together.

And like the extra large burrito/wrap tortillas likely have even more carb/flour content than the bread that you might have had with the sandwich its replacing
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    I actually heard once that the average flour tortilla actually has about the same carb and flour content of a piece or two of bread; the only difference is that in bread its all puffy and spread out, while in a tortilla its densely packed together.

And like the extra large burrito/wrap tortillas likely have even more carb/flour content than the bread that you might have had with the sandwich its replacing
    And that's exactly why the "halos" make no bloody sense.
    It's like having a friend who went from 200g spaghetti with sauce to 50g linguini with salad and lost weight, so you decide to still have the sauce and swap your 200g spaghetti for 200g linguini, because your friend "proved" linguini is "healthier".
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yelena View Post
    I... wut? I swear, he's just making things up now. That bears no possible relation to any science ever. My brain, it hurts.
    +1

A note on the whole CW thing. Way back in the early 90s, I was seeing a man who told me that his mother, who had never been fat, but had never been quite thin either, finally got back her girlish figure by cutting out almost all pasta, rice, and bread. He told me that what the government was recommending humans eat was essentially the same ratios they told pig farmers to fatten their pigs.

So, it's not just CW, it's that a lot of people don't have it in them to question authority. It's like the whole 3 square meals a day, then 6 small meals a day. Anyway, I've become so paranoid about any advice coming from the govt, that I swear if they came out tomorrow and said breathing was good for you, I'd start researching it on my own to make sure it was valid.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    We have a cooking show on here at the moment, where couples cook a 3 course meal in their home state, then they all travel around to the next persons state.
    Anyway there is a mother and daughter team, who at the first 2 courses, said there is no carbohydrates in this meal so I can absorb the protein
    Then at the dessert she said the carbohydrates from the rice were great. It was a trifle (Jelly, sponge cake, and custard layered in a glass for those who don't know) Maybe trifles are just common in NZ and Aus?
    Of course the rest of the contestants were laughing at them.
    Very odd LOL

And I now feel guilty for watching tv once my children are in bed, now I stopped them watching TV during the week.
    Last edited by Ayla2010; 02-12-2013 at 03:09 AM.

sires6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    He told me that what the government was recommending humans eat was essentially the same ratios they told pig farmers to fatten their pigs.
    Around here, pig farmers will get the left over bread from the grocery store and give it to the pigs. I have a priest friend who is raising two pigs from the donated bread. He weighs the pig every month $ for lb increase money to go to charity. How do you quick fatten a cow? Feed it corn, wheat, grain. How do you fatten a dog? Feed it corn, wheat, grain. How do you fatten a goat? Feed it corn, wheat, grain. How do you fatten a horse? Feed it corn, wheat, grain.

I raise horses (not for consumption), goats, chickens, ducks, turkeys, guinea fowl and geese for consumption. When I need to put some weight on them, I feed them grain. I keep mine nicely lean most of the time, though, unless it affects their health during the winter. The birds get scratch (read: corn) during the winter to help them produce enough heat and fat to keep warm. The horses get lots of hay, but I also have an older mare who gets grain.

I always tell people when I am proselytizing about Primal, "How do you fatten...?" A lot of people have listened to me, now I don't know if they've changed, but there it is.
    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    I mentioned this story in my journal, but it's worth repeating as it keeps making me smile...

A coworker of mine is in the Biggest Loser competition at my office, as am I. Yesterday I told him how I lost a couple of more pounds since our last weigh-in and he was amazed because of the things I eat (lots of meat... oh, no!).

I was enjoying a half of a rotisserie chicken and some steamed veggies for lunch at my desk and the coworker stopped at my desk saying, "Whatever weight you lost, you're going to gain right back!" I asked, "Why?"

He responded with, "Well, you're going to eat all of that huge chicken!" And I asked, again, "Yeah, so?" He didn't have an answer right away but just smiled and walked away saying, "I don't get how you can be so slim if you eat like that!"

>> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!