Page 608 of 901 FirstFirst ... 108508558598606607608609610618658708 ... LastLast
Results 6,071 to 6,080 of 9007

Thread: Funny CW moments page 608

  1. #6071
    magicmerl's Avatar
    magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    Not to be too straightforward, but... Since companies have started slapping "gluten free" on products that have never had gluten to cash in on suck...I mean, to benefit from the buzz surrounding gluten-free diets right now, the presence of "gluten free" sausage in a persons cart probably says more about the sausage maker than the shopper. Now if it was gluten free bread that would be funny.
    You are an idiot.

    I deliberately buy the gluten free sausages are my local supermarket, because you know what? The other sausages have wheat in them.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  2. #6072
    Him's Avatar
    Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tejas Norte
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    You are an idiot.

    I deliberately buy the gluten free sausages are my local supermarket, because you know what? The other sausages have wheat in them.
    Do you think that's true everywhere? I mean, the part about sausages having wheat.

  3. #6073
    EagleRiverDee's Avatar
    EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    Do you think that's true everywhere? I mean, the part about sausages having wheat.
    I know it surprised me. I've noticed, of course, the nitrites, nitrates and other fillers and flavor "enhancers" but don't recall seeing wheat or any of the fancy names they use instead of wheat. But I'm going to look again.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

    Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

  4. #6074
    Him's Avatar
    Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tejas Norte
    Posts
    282
    Oscar Mayer Beef Franks:

    Ingredients: BEEF, WATER, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SALT, CORN SYRUP, DEXTROSE, SODIUM LACTATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATES, SODIUM DIACETATE, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), EXTRACTIVES OF PAPRIKA, DRIED GARLIC, SPICE, SODIUM NITRITE.

    Hormel Original Smoked Sausage:

    Ingredients: Pork, Water, Beef, Vinegar, Salt, Turbinado Sugar, Spices, Celery Juice Powder, Natural Flavoring, Lactic Acid Starter Culture. In Natural Pork Casing.

    And so on.... not saying those are great ingredients, but other than some expensive specialty sausages targeted mainly at UK expats, I can't recall ever seeing wheat on the ingredients list of a US-made sausage.

  5. #6075
    magicmerl's Avatar
    magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    Do you think that's true everywhere? I mean, the part about sausages having wheat.
    When I first saw gluten free sausages at my supermarket, I checked the labels of EVERY other type of sausage there. They ALL had wheat (gluten) in them. The only thing that matters to me is my supermarket and what I can buy.

    I don't care if there are unlabeled gluten-free sausages in other supermarkets or other countries. That's not relevant to me because I can't buy them.

    Sorry if my response to you was abrasive, but you came across to me as smug and condescending (and wrong). Thus, my post.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 02-07-2013 at 04:22 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  6. #6076
    canio6's Avatar
    canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    We're not suckers for wanting to buy gluten-free sausages, and it doesn't say more about the sausage makers than the consumer. How can it? They are responding to our perceived need, so clearly their labelling is driven by our purchasing decisions.
    Perceived need is correct. In support of Him's post, turkeys here are labeled (in large letters) "Hormone free" as if this is for our health. Thing is turkey has never been treated with hormones and it has been illegal to treat other poultry with hormones since 1950. Also many products, which never contained trans fats are now labelled '0 trans fat' as if they changed something. It is cashing in on the trend of 'healthy' products.

    Whether that matters or not is up to you.

  7. #6077
    magicmerl's Avatar
    magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,219
    Except that the thing is, I feel so ignorant about how our food is produced. And I'm pretty sure that I'm in the top 1% of consumers in terms of awareness. To the 'average consumer', they know that hormones are a 'bad thing' to dose food animals with, and they want to eat healthy, and so they choose the 'hormone free' turkey because they just don't know whether other turkeys have hormone laced feed or not, they are just trying to eat as healthy as possible.

    I'm ok with advertising like that as long as they aren't making fraudulent or deceptive claims. It's things like breakfast cereals that claim to be healthy while being 40% sugar that get my dander up.

    On topic: Just went to the gym for some real quick pushups, pullups, situps and stretches. The whole time there another guy was slaving away on an exercise bike, and had been for some time. We both finished at the same time, with him commenting "was that it?"
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  8. #6078
    Him's Avatar
    Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tejas Norte
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    When I first saw gluten free sausages at my supermarket, I checked the labels of EVERY other type of sausage there. They ALL had wheat (gluten) in them. The only thing that matters to me is my supermarket and what I can buy.

    I don't care if there are unlabeled gluten-free sausages in other supermarkets or other countries. That's not relevant to me because I can't buy them.

    Sorry if my response to you was abrasive, but you came across to me as smug and condescending (and wrong). Thus, my post.
    Well I was clearly wrong. I was thinking in terms of what is familiar to me, without realizing that the poster was in Scotland and that normal varies. As for smug and condescending, I don't think so but noted.

    Regarding suckers... think about it from this perspective: Zero Nutritional Difference Between Campbells "Healthy" Tomato Soups And Regular, Just Higher Price Tell me that isn't an example of people relabeling products to take advantage of suckers. Tell me that "gluten free" stickers on products that are virtually all gluten free would be any different. In the USA, labeling sausage as "gluten free" is a way to get extra money from suckers.

  9. #6079
    naiadknight's Avatar
    naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Odessa/ Midland, TX
    Posts
    12,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    Well I was clearly wrong. I was thinking in terms of what is familiar to me, without realizing that the poster was in Scotland and that normal varies. As for smug and condescending, I don't think so but noted.

    Regarding suckers... think about it from this perspective: Zero Nutritional Difference Between Campbells "Healthy" Tomato Soups And Regular, Just Higher Price Tell me that isn't an example of people relabeling products to take advantage of suckers. Tell me that "gluten free" stickers on products that are virtually all gluten free would be any different. In the USA, labeling sausage as "gluten free" is a way to get extra money from suckers.
    Maybe in our state. I know in other areas of the US, gluten is a very real plausibility if not inevitability.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

  10. #6080
    Him's Avatar
    Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tejas Norte
    Posts
    282
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Maybe in our state. I know in other areas of the US, gluten is a very real plausibility if not inevitability.

    You could be right, but California is the same way... no wheat in the sausage. I've lived in a few states, shopped and/or eaten in most, and I can't recall ever seeing wheat in any sausages except "bangers" sold specifically as British specialty food. I've been a terminal ingredients-checker since my teens so I would've noticed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •