Page 6 of 900 FirstFirst ... 456781656106506 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny CW moments page 6

musajen is offline Junior Member

I'm traveling for work right now and I went to a popular chain restaurant for dinner tonight. I ordered the steak and said I didn't want the potato. The waitress was cool with that and asked if I just wanted to double the veggie side and I said yes.

When my plate came out to me, the "veggie" was 99% corn with a few shavings of red pepper and zucchini. I picked out the few slivers of zucchini and ate my steak.

Apparently restaurants haven't gotten the news flash that corn is NOT a vegetable.

PawsitivelyPrimal is offline Junior Member

Yeah, the corn as a "veggie" at restaurants is so frustrating. Fortunately (!?) I can really afford to eat out so it saves me from such idiocy and I get to eat better food at home!

I work part time in a bar and since starting the PB the girls I work with have all commented on my weightloss and general improvements (self esteem for lack of a better term) and when asking my "secret" the universal response is "but I couldn't live without carbs!" with a look of shock and indignation. And then there's the, "but you eat lots of fruit, right? Because the fruit sugars are healthy" My usual response is to smile and go munch on some veggies - but not corn LOL!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

PP, what you describe at work is why I am such a cynic about human nature. Once a belief takes place, it can be impossible to remove not matter how compelling the evidence is otherwise. What's that saying about how man is the only animal that can learn from experience but seldom chooses to?

Although it is a misnomer, of course, I can see why corn "is" a vegetable. Except for cornmeal, it's not prepared or eaten like other grains.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

I went to a diner in CT some time ago and ordered a steak and a salad. The waitress asked how I wanted it cooked, and I said medium rare.

This is what I got:

A salad with potatoes and corn, with thousand island dressing and sweet sauerkraut. A big portion of macaroni with a thick and creamy white sweat sauce on them.

My steak, which was perfectly cooked, had barbecue sauce on top.

What is one to do...

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

CaveGirl Guest

SS...possibly go into a diabetic coma?

Wow, that meal started off so well. Steak and salad...and yet it went so wrong so fast,lol.

My funny little story involves Boston Market. I went with a friend who I've been talking up the PB liestyle with. I thought he got it (mostly at least) until we ordered:

Me- 1/4 chicken and double steamed veggies

Him- Meatoaf (its made of meat he cries), creamed spinach (you said full fat stuff is healthy he cries!) and sweet potato mess(its sweet potatoes mashed and mixed with sweeteners and topped with brown sugar crumble and mini-marshmellows. "But you said sweet potatoes were on the 'ok' list!" he cries)

holy crap, my dear readers, holy crap.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I went to the eye doctor yesterday for my yearly exam. He told me I needed to, and I quote, "increase consumption of whole grains and legumes because they are good for diabetics." I said, Hmmm, okay so the last time I ate brown rice my 2 hour post-prandial number was 223. Is that healthy?" He changed the subject.

JulieD Guest

I just started seeing a primary care physician, who is very nice, but still seems to buy into the CW. I had been doing quite well on a lower carb plan for about a year, but then went off track when my father became ill. My doc said that it's typical for our diet and exercise to suffer when stress comes into play, and we often turn to "comfort foods" with a lot of carbs. So far, so good. I agree. He then proceeds to hand me a pretty little diet plan pamphlet for a 1500 calorie diet, with grains at the top of the list, along with low-fat advice.

It's an uphill battle!

Last night I was merely chatting with our boarder/ roommate and casually mentioned what we were doing and some basics behind nightshades, legumes, etc. But I was doing it casually since people never agree with my new lifestyle. He interrupts me after I start in on grain, "You'll NEVER convince me that grain is bad. Never! Ever!" in a tone that is akin to a challenge to a duel with his favorite kitten's life on the line or something! Then he walks off. :-P

Later, I told hubby what I wanted to say back "You know why you'll NEVER be convinced? Because you're mind is already made up!".

We had a saying around my house, growing up, about idiots who don't want to be taught anything: "Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up!". ;-)

I had to post this here since I think it would be stupid to start a new thread on just li'l ol' me and I won't be starting a journal until the start of August, but I just had to share some recent success.

I am surrounded by women in this section of the office, as I happen to be smack dab in the middle of accounting. One woman is a type 1 diabetic and all the others are overweight (not to mention the incessant sniffling, sneezing and coughing they ALL seem to have on a daily basis, but I digress...).

They ALL are going through some type of diet/ exercise, etc, right now, but none of them look any different (it's been several months and they all look the same). I, on the otherhand, have been hiking up my pants that are 2 sizes too large for me because I keep dropping more and more weight.

Today, one sweet gal, in a meeting with another gal, looks at me and says "You keep wasting away! Pretty soon you'll be down to nothing! You are looking very good!".

I thought that was nice since I have some lofty goals yet and the weight-loss has been very gradual lately, even though I've been up and down on the scale at times (I haven't gotten back on in a while since the scale only angers me).

Anyway, I just wanted to note that even though I may be hard on myself still, people are noticing the loss and I am feeling more confident than ever in my future of health and in NOT needing a new wardrobe once or twice a year due to past horrific yo-yo dieting that always pushed me 20 pounds one way or the other!

annadragon is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

@Cavegirl- I <3 Boston Market especially their creamed spinach. Un/Fortunately, I no longer have easy access to their restaurants. I have wet, scandalous dream about their creamed spinach.

Page 6 of 900 FirstFirst ... 456781656106506 ... LastLast