Page 586 of 880 FirstFirst ... 86486536576584585586587588596636686 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,860 of 8800

Thread: Funny CW moments page 586

WaylandC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Make spaghetti for them some night using spaghetti squash. Ever been to the Dekalb Farmer's Market? It has everything at great prices. Once your folks realize that it's the other ingredients and not the pasta that makes spaghetti appetizing, i suspect they'll be more likely to substitute the wheat noodles for something a little healthier. Thankfully, my parents are on board with the primal thing now.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Spaghetti squash with a fatty bolognese just like my nana used to make. You don't even realize your having squash, because the sauce is so good!

Kata is offline Senior Member
    WaylandC, that's not a bad idea. The Dekalb Farmers Market is my Mecca, but I've never tried spaghetti squash. I see it every time and almost buy it because it's so cheap, but then I end up not getting it because I don't know what to do with it. To be honest, I've never loved spaghetti, so the motivation just isn't there. WeldingHank's nana's sauce must be better than my dad's, haha.

They've never tried to talk me out of eating paleo, but they aren't jumping on the bandwagon either. They're kinda neutral about the whole thing. The problem is that they don't take me seriously enough to listen and realize that I mean it when I say I won't eat those things anymore. Frustrating.

What will be even more ...interesting is seeing my aunt again this Christmas, who has struggled with obesity her entire life. She's done Jenny Craig, WW, you name it, and has only gained weight steadily over the years. I told her about the paleo principles last time I saw her, to which she replied matter-of-factly as she ate some rice and chicken flavored microwave atrocity that women should never consume more than 20 grams of fat a day to lose weight. I've lost 25 pounds and 5 dress sized since I last saw her. We'll see how this goes.

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    kata I bet you can't wait to see her face!!!

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hulahoop View Post
    kata I bet you can't wait to see her face!!!
    hahaha I'm actually kind of scared! I almost feel bad for being so successful so soon at something she's been struggling with for years. Almost.

WaylandC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    ...I've never tried spaghetti squash...I don't know what to do with it.
    Last, I checked, some have a sticker with directions for cooking them.

Cut in half, put in a microwaveable dish with (cut side down; We use a rectangular pyrex dish.) with a 1/2 cup of water, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 8-10 minutes. Once you're able to handle the squash sides, use a fork to scrape it out. It comes out the way you want it to with minimal effort.

I'd say get two or three medium-sized or two large squashes. The price may be 6 dollars or less. If you like mushrooms, toss in some of those with plenty of meat and sauce and Parmesan cheese if you still consume dairy and like it.

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    WaylandC, that's not a bad idea. The Dekalb Farmers Market is my Mecca, but I've never tried spaghetti squash. I see it every time and almost buy it because it's so cheap, but then I end up not getting it because I don't know what to do with it. To be honest, I've never loved spaghetti, so the motivation just isn't there. WeldingHank's nana's sauce must be better than my dad's, haha.

They've never tried to talk me out of eating paleo, but they aren't jumping on the bandwagon either. They're kinda neutral about the whole thing. The problem is that they don't take me seriously enough to listen and realize that I mean it when I say I won't eat those things anymore. Frustrating.

What will be even more ...interesting is seeing my aunt again this Christmas, who has struggled with obesity her entire life. She's done Jenny Craig, WW, you name it, and has only gained weight steadily over the years. I told her about the paleo principles last time I saw her, to which she replied matter-of-factly as she ate some rice and chicken flavored microwave atrocity that women should never consume more than 20 grams of fat a day to lose weight. I've lost 25 pounds and 5 dress sized since I last saw her. We'll see how this goes.
    Because I see how well that's working out for you..... SMH I just don't get it. Perhaps seeing you will help her change
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    The office I work in tends to be quite mindful of the fact that I can't have Crisco or wheat, which I am VERY grateful for.
    Yeah, I'm lucky enough to work with an actual celiac, so there's always some fruit or something at morning teas.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Milty is offline Senior Member
    This made me facepalm so hard. My Pinterest says it originally came from Dr. Oz.

"Why make cake with eggs and oil when there are TONS of better options? Cake mix with diet soda? Just egg substitute? Only applesauce? We tried each of these methods and more (and had fun doing it)! Here's what we learned..."

Hungry Girl - Friday Newsletter

sires6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WaylandC View Post
    Last, I checked, some have a sticker with directions for cooking them.

Cut in half, put in a microwaveable dish with (cut side down; We use a rectangular pyrex dish.) with a 1/2 cup of water, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 8-10 minutes. Once you're able to handle the squash sides, use a fork to scrape it out. It comes out the way you want it to with minimal effort.

I'd say get two or three medium-sized or two large squashes. The price may be 6 dollars or less. If you like mushrooms, toss in some of those with plenty of meat and sauce and Parmesan cheese if you still consume dairy and like it.
    After nuked, I love to saute the squash in herbed butter... lots of it. Or tallow and butter with herbs. It makes a very decent replacement for pasta or any side dish. And it's relatively safe as far as GMO and pesticides go.
    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II