Page 567 of 884 FirstFirst ... 67467517557565566567568569577617667 ... LastLast
Results 5,661 to 5,670 of 8834

Thread: Funny CW moments page 567

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post
    I don't know if it's a US thing or what, but... I've noticed that nobody around here can seem to offer... pretty much anything... without a dipping sauce... I don't think I've noticed that so much abroad.
    *puts on fake denture lips* When I was a kid, kids didn't really dip. Kids didn't even put ketchup on their fries (and I would've noticed 'cause I think ketchup is disgusting... ESPECIALLY when someone gets a perfectly good plate o' taters and just COVERS it in the junk - EW. I've seen this a lot at bars/parties with 20 somethings.)
    never was a catsup fan either. My thought is if its cooked properly it needs no sauce or condiments.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    never was a catsup fan either. My thought is if its cooked properly it needs no sauce or condiments.
    oh, right... now I know why we dip so much! (CONNECT THE DOTS, LA LA LA!)
    In the 80's (and before), when McD's fries were fried in tallow, they tasted AWESOME, like a fried piece of heaven...
    now, they're distinctly lacking something (flavor - they're fried in veg oil, and thanks to vegetarian outcry, they've eliminated the "beef seasoning" that they sprinkled on after the initial switch)... so let's pile some sugar masquerading as "veg" on them!

I only recently connected the dots to realize WHY McD's don't taste like the delicious ones I remember from childhood. *facepalm*

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    When I was a kid, I loved ketchup. Now, not so much. Just lost my taste for sweet tomato paste. If food needs dip, it's done wrong. (The corollary is a food with it's own sauce, like curry, that someone fucked up. Passthe sriracha, hot sauce, whatever it takes.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Dipping sauces are just another dumbing-down culinary trend that I've seen grow over the past 30 years or so. I think that even beyond masking bad food or bland food, it's part of the trend for food makers to pump out addictive crap made from cheap sweeteners and industrial oils that circumvent our satiety and make us gorge liked coked-up monkeys. They'll keep coming back like addicts, and we'll keep making money off their mania for cheap food, FTW!

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    When I was a kid, I loved ketchup. Now, not so much. Just lost my taste for sweet tomato paste. If food needs dip, it's done wrong. (The corollary is a food with it's own sauce, like curry, that someone fucked up. Passthe sriracha, hot sauce, whatever it takes.)
    I agree. I used to absolutely drown my hamburgers in ketchup. But that was because my grandma cooked them very well done AND used lean meat like ground sirloin*. They were quite dry, so to me the ketchup was almost necessary to me. Then I discovered that burgers could be cooked to less than well-done and with fatty meat. Whole new world.

*Don't get me wrong, I love my grandma and I quite often reflect on what a labor of love she performed cooking/preparing 3 meals a day for me for many years. Most everything she cooked was very good and it was all certainly edible.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I love my mother dearly, but she was the one that instilled "pink is bad" into me for all forms of meat. I was in my late teens before my dad got me to try something cooked medium. The idea that meat didn't hafta be a hockey puck was a novel concept. That was around the time I gave up ketchup, come to think of it, was around the time I started opting for meat, not charcoal.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I love my mother dearly, but she was the one that instilled "pink is bad" into me for all forms of meat. I was in my late teens before my dad got me to try something cooked medium. The idea that meat didn't hafta be a hockey puck was a novel concept. That was around the time I gave up ketchup, come to think of it, was around the time I started opting for meat, not charcoal.
    I know, right? I apparently "hated fat" for most of my life because by the time it got to my plate it was impossible to chew. The moment I started cooking my own food I realized that those big chunks of fat are divine.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

"pink is bad" .... The idea that meat didn't hafta be a hockey puck was a novel concept... I started opting for meat, not charcoal.
    This is totally CW.
    The idea that raw meat/fish is dangerous, that things must be refrigerated CONSTANTLY, thrown out after an arbitrary number of days, etc... just use your sense and sensibility, and remember that exposure to some "ickies" actually strengthens your immune system (novel concept, I know).

Overheard this weekend: "well, this yogurt's been out of the fridge for 3 hours, so I should probably toss it, just to be safe."
    O_o huh?

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post
    This is totally CW.
    The idea that raw meat/fish is dangerous, that things must be refrigerated CONSTANTLY, thrown out after an arbitrary number of days, etc... just use your sense and sensibility, and remember that exposure to some "ickies" actually strengthens your immune system (novel concept, I know).

Overheard this weekend: "well, this yogurt's been out of the fridge for 3 hours, so I should probably toss it, just to be safe."
    O_o huh?
    oooh *hands up*.. expiration dates freak me out, "too old" flips me out..its a personal issue stemming from CW I have not been able to conquer.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    we've eaten some pretty questionable things in our house... and if I told you how far past the expiration date (or CW's "you should use no more than X days after cooking" date...), you might need smelling salts.