Page 56 of 873 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156556 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny CW moments page 56

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I find metformin such a funny thing. Give them the medication that basically makes their body THINK it is on a low carb diet. Instead of prescribing the low carb diet that will treat the problem and not just the symptoms of the problem.

jandge is offline Senior Member
    NutMeg - definitely strange thing about people relying on drugs to make your body think it was lowcarbing. Do people not get it?

I was reading an article in the Diabetes magazine about low carb and insulin regulation. There was a part that made me boil - the article stated it was just as healthy to take insulin to cover carb consumption as it was to eat low carb. All the in name of allowing diabetics to eat like non-diabetics. *FACEPALM*

Do yourself a favor and become your own savior.
    Congenital Hypothyroid
    CW: 225lbs SW: 245lbs

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I take metformin in conjunction with a low-carb diet... I hope to decrease my dosage and go off it eventually, but right now my hormones are still not normal (I haven't had my period since January). I did stop taking the spironolactone though.

Confession: In the past I've sugar binged and then taken 'extra' metformin to take up for it... and usually spent the next day sitting on the toilet. The digestive effects are NOT pleasant, but when eating real (primal) foods I don't notice it at all.

That's kind of a weird way of putting it though, that it 'hides the carbs from your body'... it doesn't make the carbs go straight through, I thought it improved insulin sensitivity through certain enzyme reactions.
    Last edited by spakesneaker; 03-22-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Monty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Oh, good. Now we can have people with half-digested pizza crusts flying out of their asses.
    Gives a whole new meaning to stuffed crust...eeeewwwwww!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I went to the shrink a few days ago. i told him I had a history of depression, but that wasn't the current issue, as it was gone now (I didn't say, "thanks to eating right," much as I wanted to.) Blahblahblah, let's do this and this for the current problems, and oh, by the way, "I want you on a maintenance dose for the depression."
    "I'm symptom free, and every depression med I've ever taken has stopped working or reversed effects within a month. I see no reason to make another series of medications useless through maintenance dosage if I may actually need it for symptoms later."
    "Well, with your history and family history, I believe that the depression may come back. With maintenance medication, it may not. I highly recommend a maintenance dose of [nongeneric tier 3 depression med.]"
    "May's not a strong word, Dr. [Shrink]. I'll come see you if I need the meds, but I won't render the medication useless by taking a maintenance dose."
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NutMeg View Post
    I find metformin such a funny thing. Give them the medication that basically makes their body THINK it is on a low carb diet. Instead of prescribing the low carb diet that will treat the problem and not just the symptoms of the problem.
    That's the American way!!!

Hedonism with a side of modern medicine!

Beastman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jspradley View Post
    That's the American way!!!

Hedonism with a side of modern medicine!
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    You just didn't define Healthy Whole Grains properly. Many steak recipes refer to cutting "against the grain" when slicing. Therefore beef has grains. If you eat everything on your plate, you have eaten the whole thing. Eating an entire steak is eating healthy whole grains.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    oh my jeebus

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    oh dear.
    i'd like to think that's some sort of physical therapy tiered thing. ya know "let's start with the chair and you moving your legs, and then we'll move up to a walker." i hope...

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    oh dear.
    i'd like to think that's some sort of physical therapy tiered thing. ya know "let's start with the chair and you moving your legs, and then we'll move up to a walker." i hope...
    It's just a Photo-chop of a picture of treadmills plus this... still head-shakingly painful though.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal