Page 557 of 881 FirstFirst ... 57457507547555556557558559567607657 ... LastLast
Results 5,561 to 5,570 of 8809

Thread: Funny CW moments page 557

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosejuggler View Post
    Really? I thought it had to be a lot lower for that to happen. Does it have anything to do with height and overall weight?
    Some women it's 18%, some can get below 15% and still menstruate (but as they get below 15% most women will lose their periods). Once you get below 13% as a woman, you're getting into essential body fat range, and very few women can maintain that for long--you're talking competition day cut for a bodybuilder.

But I think the research on fertility shows that for most women, being much under 18-20% will impair one's ability to conceive. That only matters much if you're really trying hard to get preggers, though.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    The real question is this: if a man got fat enough would the excess estrogen caused by said fat induce a hormonal cycle similar to that experienced by women of reproductive age?
    Or, in layman's terms, could angry fat guys just be PMSing?
    yes, sad but yes
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    My husband just started a new job yesterday and has to be out of town for the first two weeks.
    I woke up to this text message "I don't know if its funny or sad when I see all these giant fat bodies carrying around huge bags of mini cupcakes" I can totally picture it...

Also, My local pharmacy now pushes candy and cookies on everyone at checkout. I'm SO OBVIOUSLY very pregnant, and I really didn't mean to glare at her when she suggested I eat a cookie. I know it's up to each of us to say no to sweets, and they are just trying to do their job and push sales... but they should really pay attention to who they are pushing that garbage on.
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I read an article saying the average American throws away 4.5 lb of trash per DAY. My first thought was "how the HELL can you go through that much meat (styrofoam packing), veggies (ends and trimmings), and toilet paper?"
    Then I remembered that not everyone ate like us.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Some women it's 18%, some can get below 15% and still menstruate (but as they get below 15% most women will lose their periods). Once you get below 13% as a woman, you're getting into essential body fat range, and very few women can maintain that for long--you're talking competition day cut for a bodybuilder.

But I think the research on fertility shows that for most women, being much under 18-20% will impair one's ability to conceive. That only matters much if you're really trying hard to get preggers, though.
    Which is exactly why most body fat testing must be bunk. I had mine tested many times by many different people in many different places over about 5 years when I was in college and a bit beyond, and it always, always registered 12-13% on the calipers. Anyone could look at me and know it wasn't true. I was fit & healthy & strong, and very lean from the waist up, but had some definite thighs. The problem is, calipers don't measure where I store fat (especially top outside of thighs & rear & back of hips). So they're nonsense.

I conceived easily at that weight/bodyfat%, and when I dropped another 15lb and even more body fat a few years later, conceived easily again.

The only thing I could imagine working well would be something like water tank displacement, maybe?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    The only thing I could imagine working well would be something like water tank displacement, maybe?
    Apparently even those can be quite inaccurate. Remember this post?
    The Value of Lab Values | Mark's Daily Apple

I think DEXA is probably the most accurate method. Other than autoposy. Autopsy is definitely the way to go.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I read an article saying the average American throws away 4.5 lb of trash per DAY. My first thought was "how the HELL can you go through that much meat (styrofoam packing), veggies (ends and trimmings), and toilet paper?"
    Then I remembered that not everyone ate like us.
    You know, you bring up an interesting point. I think I easily scrape a couple pounds of organic stuff into compost a couple times a week. But veggie trimmings, rotten veggies, and other food scraps are technically a *lot* heavier than just cardboard boxes, plastic bags, and other packing material. Which makes me realize HOW MUCH PACKAGING CRAP other people must be throwing away every day to be a comparable weight.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    You know, you bring up an interesting point. I think I easily scrape a couple pounds of organic stuff into compost a couple times a week. But veggie trimmings, rotten veggies, and other food scraps are technically a *lot* heavier than just cardboard boxes, plastic bags, and other packing material. Which makes me realize HOW MUCH PACKAGING CRAP other people must be throwing away every day to be a comparable weight.
    You're forgetting to factor in frozen meal wrappings, aluminum cans, and tin cans.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Ate my lunch at Whole Foods today. Basically got maybe a cup of leafy greens and a pound of chicken breast, salmon, and shrimp. I sat down across from this lady who was eating a tiny container of canola oil filled tuna salad mayo and a small bagel. When I wasn't looking, she would stare at me eating my food. Sad thing is, calorically we probably ate the same amount.

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Which is exactly why most body fat testing must be bunk. I had mine tested many times by many different people in many different places over about 5 years when I was in college and a bit beyond, and it always, always registered 12-13% on the calipers. Anyone could look at me and know it wasn't true. I was fit & healthy & strong, and very lean from the waist up, but had some definite thighs. The problem is, calipers don't measure where I store fat (especially top outside of thighs & rear & back of hips). So they're nonsense.

I conceived easily at that weight/bodyfat%, and when I dropped another 15lb and even more body fat a few years later, conceived easily again.

Ok, this makes sense to me now. So at 19.2% (allegedly) i'm underweight with regards to BF. But I definetley don't look, I dunno, infertile? I suppose my top half has leaned out, but I'm still packing some BF round the hips thighs - as far as I recall, Mark did a post on this, and that's where women store bits and bobs they require during pregnancy? I imagine those readings don't reflect where your BF is kept.