Page 555 of 841 FirstFirst ... 55455505545553554555556557565605655 ... LastLast
Results 5,541 to 5,550 of 8408

Thread: Funny CW moments page 555

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Do you use a switch grip? That made a huge difference for me as I started getting up there for weight. Also, chalk helps, and if you have really small hands, you might see if you can find a women's bar (they are a little lighter at 33 lbs, but the diameter is also smaller--just put more plates on it!).
    No, because it's really uneven. I can definitely do a switch grip as well as I do a deadlift with straps, but I want to improve on making the grips the same, especially since that's a true measurement grip anyway.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    This sounds like a problem of flexibility/mobility, actually. I know lots of tall men, even ones with unusual pelvic structures, and they can do a standard deadlift. I'd be interested to see what sort of form you have when you're attempting a standard deadlift, since you'd need to have a significant deformity and/or major inflexibility to not be able to do them at all.
    I need to forget about either lower back stability or shoulder stability in order to reach the bar. This hasn't improved in well over a year even though I've improved all other forms of flexibility. On top of that this is a problem that my entire family shares. Even the little kids can't deadlift properly.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    No, because it's really uneven. I can definitely do a switch grip as well as I do a deadlift with straps, but I want to improve on making the grips the same, especially since that's a true measurement grip anyway.
    Okay, I suppose, but all the really heavy lifters I know use a switch grip once they up toward their max. Eventually your hands just can't keep it stable otherwise. I don't find it uneven though.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I suppose, but all the really heavy lifters I know use a switch grip once they up toward their max. Eventually your hands just can't keep it stable otherwise. I don't find it uneven though.
    That makes sense since your 1rm is really where every single thing converges to not being able to lift, including core, leg, grip, etc. I feel like one arm is pulling with biceps more if I do switch grip, so I don't do it anymore.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I also use switch grip when I get up above a certain weight. I just feel a lot safer with a more secure grip. Witness Lamar Gant, possibly the greatest deadlifter ever:

Lamar Gant, VM 1983 Göteborg - Längsta armarna - YouTube

One of the baddest men to have ever lived. He lifted 5 TIMES his own bodyweight. Unreal.
    Lamar Gant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tunia is offline Junior Member
    so far so good.
    I only got funny faces at work when i chomped on my raw beef.

but a really funny thing happen to me last Friday.
    I was eating outl. I ordered a huge salad with lots of grilled chicken and bacon.
    I got bread with it.
    I took the bread and called the waiter and told him to replace the bread with olive oil.
    he almost fainted.
    and you should see the faces of people nearby when I poured generously olive oil on my bacon.
    I am sure i heard them whispering.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    That makes sense since your 1rm is really where every single thing converges to not being able to lift, including core, leg, grip, etc. I feel like one arm is pulling with biceps more if I do switch grip, so I don't do it anymore.
    If you are still getting reps at your current max weight then it is working. I hear you with the bicep thing when training for heavy sets where I need to use a switch grip I will revers the grip between sets.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    I had to sit down for a bit after being hit up by the vampires at the doc's office today. A tiny body, low blood pressure, and 5 vials of blood will do that to me, but I can usually make it to the car first. I had to sit down in their office today and they got all fluttery over it. The first thing the nurse does is call "Bring a soda!" I'm still woozy, but I say back "NO SODA! Water. No soda."
    Why the fuck do they think I need soda for a vasovagal response? Even if had been diabetic in nature, wouldn't fruit juice be better than pounding straight sugar water?
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I had to sit down for a bit after being hit up by the vampires at the doc's office today. A tiny body, low blood pressure, and 5 vials of blood will do that to me, but I can usually make it to the car first. I had to sit down in their office today and they got all fluttery over it. The first thing the nurse does is call "Bring a soda!" I'm still woozy, but I say back "NO SODA! Water. No soda."
    Why the fuck do they think I need soda for a vasovagal response? Even if had been diabetic in nature, wouldn't fruit juice be better than pounding straight sugar water?
    This reminds me of when I had wrist surgery a few years ago. I wasn't eating Primal back then, but I had stopped drinking soda or anything with sugar. They forced me to drink some Sprite as soon as I woke up even though I insisted on having water. Pretty stupid.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    My freezer door would not close after being stuffed full with grass fed beef, pork and chicken products...fish too. So I spied a very old carton of morningstar soysages. I threw that shit out to make room for a 3lb pork butt. Hell Yeah! Garbage is where that shit belongs.