Page 533 of 880 FirstFirst ... 33433483523531532533534535543583633 ... LastLast
Results 5,321 to 5,330 of 8800

Thread: Funny CW moments page 533

  1. #5321
    Alex Good's Avatar
    Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Maritimes
    Posts
    3,576
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    They're delicious and super easy to make under the broiler. It helps if you cook the bacon a little beforehand to ensure that it's cooked thoroughly, unless you like it a little chewy.
    Meh, I'll eat bacon any way. I've even had it where some parts somehow managed to avoid being cooked completely.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

  2. #5322
    RitaRose's Avatar
    RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    3,952
    The Boyfriend got his Reader's Digest in the mail this week. Yes, we're that old.

    Anyway, there's an ad for Victoza, a diabetes med, that features Paula Deen. In the ad, it mentions that the once-daily injectible can cause (among other things) thyroid tumors, thyroid cancer and pancreatitis. Sounds great...

    Literally only 8 pages later, there's a 2 page Q&A with a couple of "health experts" the first of whom is a registered dietician and certified diabetes instructor. The other (Campbell) is president of health care and education at the American Diabetes Association. You're gonna love this:

    Q: Paula Deen adds butter by the stick to her meals. Did she get dabetes because of her diet?

    A: "Deen's recipes are high in saturated fat, which triggers inflammation and can lead to insulin resistance. But the way she cooks is not the only reason she developed the disease... Many hereditary and lifestyle factors - high cholesterol or blood pressure, inactivity, and family history - can raise your chances." Campbell adds "People with diabetes should get less than 7% of calories from saturated fat, or about 15 grams per day (one tablespoon of butter has about 7 grams)."

    Q: I read that Deen ditched her staple sweet tea after her diagnosis. Is that because sugar causes diabetes?

    A: "Sugar doesn't 'give' you diabetes, but there's one caveat: A study presented at the American Heart Association Scentific Sessions last year found that women who drank 2 or more sugary drinks a day, even if they were a normal weight, were more likely to develop abnormal levels of fasting glucose - a sign of diabetes. 'Liquid sugar may work differently from other sugar' explains Campbell. 'It seems to start a cycle that increases visceral fat, which can lead to metabolic syndrome, a precursor to type 2 diabetes.' Be mindful of how many sugar beverages you sip, especially if you have other diabetes risk factors, advises Campbell."

    Q: Preaching portion control, Deen has said "It's not what you're eating but how much." So I can enjoy whatever I want, if I only have a little?

    A: " 'As a dietician, I'm trained to tell you there's no food you can never eat' says Campbell. 'While that's true, you can't eat whatever you want, whenever you want - even if it's only a little. So if you want fried chicken or mac and cheese, you can have a small portion of it, but not often.' Most other times, it's important to make healthy choices and balance nutrients. An easy way to do that: Divide your plate into sections. Fill half with vegetables (such as leafy greens, tomatoes and carrots), use a quarter for healthy carb (whole-grain pasta or rice) and add lean protein (chicken, sirloin or fish) to the remaining quarter. Finish with a piece of fresh fruit."

    While I don't think the plate idea is too terrible, assuming you DON'T eat the whole-grain pasta, and I get that liquid sugar is sneaky as hell because you get even less of the "satiated" feel after all of the calories, seriously... the rest of the article is utter horse pucky. They also mention that Paula has cheat days once a week (rice and gravy, country-fried steak, butter bean soup and mac and cheese) and has "made healthy swaps" by eating whole-grain pasta "to reduce fat". That's supposedly how she has gotten leaner and made progress in her fight against diabetes.

    ARGH!!!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

  3. #5323
    Jaradel's Avatar
    Jaradel is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    The Boyfriend got his Reader's Digest in the mail this week. Yes, we're that old.

    Anyway, there's an ad for Victoza, a diabetes med, that features Paula Deen. In the ad, it mentions that the once-daily injectible can cause (among other things) thyroid tumors, thyroid cancer and pancreatitis. Sounds great...

    Literally only 8 pages later, there's a 2 page Q&A with a couple of "health experts" the first of whom is a registered dietician and certified diabetes instructor. The other (Campbell) is president of health care and education at the American Diabetes Association. You're gonna love this:

    Q: Paula Deen adds butter by the stick to her meals. Did she get dabetes because of her diet?

    A: "Deen's recipes are high in saturated fat, which triggers inflammation and can lead to insulin resistance. But the way she cooks is not the only reason she developed the disease... Many hereditary and lifestyle factors - high cholesterol or blood pressure, inactivity, and family history - can raise your chances." Campbell adds "People with diabetes should get less than 7% of calories from saturated fat, or about 15 grams per day (one tablespoon of butter has about 7 grams)."

    <snip>

    ARGH!!!
    Still trying to figure out how supposedly intelligent people think that saturated fat triggers insulin resistance... SMH

    But what do I know, supposedly my 40 lbs of weight loss is just water weight. /sarcasm

    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

  4. #5324
    Alex Good's Avatar
    Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Maritimes
    Posts
    3,576
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    The Boyfriend got his Reader's Digest in the mail this week. Yes, we're that old.

    Anyway, there's an ad for Victoza, a diabetes med, that features Paula Deen. In the ad, it mentions that the once-daily injectible can cause (among other things) thyroid tumors, thyroid cancer and pancreatitis. Sounds great...

    Literally only 8 pages later, there's a 2 page Q&A with a couple of "health experts" the first of whom is a registered dietician and certified diabetes instructor. The other (Campbell) is president of health care and education at the American Diabetes Association. You're gonna love this:

    Q: Paula Deen adds butter by the stick to her meals. Did she get dabetes because of her diet?

    A: "Deen's recipes are high in saturated fat, which triggers inflammation and can lead to insulin resistance. But the way she cooks is not the only reason she developed the disease... Many hereditary and lifestyle factors - high cholesterol or blood pressure, inactivity, and family history - can raise your chances." Campbell adds "People with diabetes should get less than 7% of calories from saturated fat, or about 15 grams per day (one tablespoon of butter has about 7 grams)."

    Q: I read that Deen ditched her staple sweet tea after her diagnosis. Is that because sugar causes diabetes?

    A: "Sugar doesn't 'give' you diabetes, but there's one caveat: A study presented at the American Heart Association Scentific Sessions last year found that women who drank 2 or more sugary drinks a day, even if they were a normal weight, were more likely to develop abnormal levels of fasting glucose - a sign of diabetes. 'Liquid sugar may work differently from other sugar' explains Campbell. 'It seems to start a cycle that increases visceral fat, which can lead to metabolic syndrome, a precursor to type 2 diabetes.' Be mindful of how many sugar beverages you sip, especially if you have other diabetes risk factors, advises Campbell."

    Q: Preaching portion control, Deen has said "It's not what you're eating but how much." So I can enjoy whatever I want, if I only have a little?

    A: " 'As a dietician, I'm trained to tell you there's no food you can never eat' says Campbell. 'While that's true, you can't eat whatever you want, whenever you want - even if it's only a little. So if you want fried chicken or mac and cheese, you can have a small portion of it, but not often.' Most other times, it's important to make healthy choices and balance nutrients. An easy way to do that: Divide your plate into sections. Fill half with vegetables (such as leafy greens, tomatoes and carrots), use a quarter for healthy carb (whole-grain pasta or rice) and add lean protein (chicken, sirloin or fish) to the remaining quarter. Finish with a piece of fresh fruit."

    While I don't think the plate idea is too terrible, assuming you DON'T eat the whole-grain pasta, and I get that liquid sugar is sneaky as hell because you get even less of the "satiated" feel after all of the calories, seriously... the rest of the article is utter horse pucky. They also mention that Paula has cheat days once a week (rice and gravy, country-fried steak, butter bean soup and mac and cheese) and has "made healthy swaps" by eating whole-grain pasta "to reduce fat". That's supposedly how she has gotten leaner and made progress in her fight against diabetes.

    ARGH!!!
    I almost cried after reading this.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

  5. #5325
    PrimalMama's Avatar
    PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    448
    Morning Mashups | Raspberry Swirl
    these. being touted as a "healthy" breakfast. *SMH*
    I keep seeing "healthy lunch" sites with ideas for people w/ school-age kids... and I have yet to see anything I'd consider truly healthy... usually some sandwich w/sides of crackery-type kibble and sugar-type kibble... sometimes some veggies or fruits.

    Also, years ago (after I'd lost 50lbs doing non-primal VLC), I met up with a friend who I hadn't seen in awhile... he went on and on (and on and on) about how great I looked - healthy, vibrant, yadda yadda... but as soon as I said "modified atkins" he said "you know that's HORRIBLE for you, right?" I just kind of said "um, yeah, sure."...
    These days I'd probably go into a lecture about sugar and processed foods (yes, I did Atkins. no, I didn't use bars/shakes/crap frankenfood, and the more I thought about it, the more I reduced/nixed fake sugars, soy, and other crap), and actually call him out on the fact that he was saying how healthy I looked less than 90sec earlier... but my 23 year old self just wasn't there yet, I suppose... still makes me *facepalm* when I think about his comment.
    Last edited by PrimalMama; 08-11-2012 at 09:49 PM.

  6. #5326
    Samphis's Avatar
    Samphis is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    35
    This is satire, but I wouldn't be surprised if it actually happened.


  7. #5327
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Account closed
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaradel View Post
    Still trying to figure out how supposedly intelligent people think that saturated fat triggers insulin resistance... SMH
    IIRC most of the studies showing correlations between sat fats and inflammation use rat studies, with the Norway rats being most likely to become obese (and suffer related health problems). There's a gargantuan leap from correlational studies with rats to causal certitude in humans, and I also seem to recall detailed breakdown of the fats indicating possible confounds (presence of trans-fats, higher levels of sat fats AND carbohydrates).

    What interests me is that diets high in omega-6 are inflammatory and inflammation can lead to insulin resistance. Of course, most omega-6 in the SAD is being delivered alongside a heady overdose of processed food carbohydrate, but it seems to me CW has it bass-ackwards to say sat fats are the devil, tra la la, let's substitute some healthy vegetable oil or canola oil. Barf.

  8. #5328
    Corvidae's Avatar
    Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    723
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    The Boyfriend got his Reader's Digest in the mail this week. Yes, we're that old.

    Anyway, there's an ad for Victoza, a diabetes med, that features Paula Deen. In the ad, it mentions that the once-daily injectible can cause (among other things) thyroid tumors, thyroid cancer and pancreatitis. Sounds great...

    Literally only 8 pages later, there's a 2 page Q&A with a couple of "health experts" the first of whom is a registered dietician and certified diabetes instructor. The other (Campbell) is president of health care and education at the American Diabetes Association. You're gonna love this:

    Q: Paula Deen adds butter by the stick to her meals. Did she get dabetes because of her diet?

    A: "Deen's recipes are high in saturated fat, which triggers inflammation and can lead to insulin resistance. But the way she cooks is not the only reason she developed the disease... Many hereditary and lifestyle factors - high cholesterol or blood pressure, inactivity, and family history - can raise your chances." Campbell adds "People with diabetes should get less than 7% of calories from saturated fat, or about 15 grams per day (one tablespoon of butter has about 7 grams)."

    Q: I read that Deen ditched her staple sweet tea after her diagnosis. Is that because sugar causes diabetes?

    A: "Sugar doesn't 'give' you diabetes, but there's one caveat: A study presented at the American Heart Association Scentific Sessions last year found that women who drank 2 or more sugary drinks a day, even if they were a normal weight, were more likely to develop abnormal levels of fasting glucose - a sign of diabetes. 'Liquid sugar may work differently from other sugar' explains Campbell. 'It seems to start a cycle that increases visceral fat, which can lead to metabolic syndrome, a precursor to type 2 diabetes.' Be mindful of how many sugar beverages you sip, especially if you have other diabetes risk factors, advises Campbell."

    Q: Preaching portion control, Deen has said "It's not what you're eating but how much." So I can enjoy whatever I want, if I only have a little?

    A: " 'As a dietician, I'm trained to tell you there's no food you can never eat' says Campbell. 'While that's true, you can't eat whatever you want, whenever you want - even if it's only a little. So if you want fried chicken or mac and cheese, you can have a small portion of it, but not often.' Most other times, it's important to make healthy choices and balance nutrients. An easy way to do that: Divide your plate into sections. Fill half with vegetables (such as leafy greens, tomatoes and carrots), use a quarter for healthy carb (whole-grain pasta or rice) and add lean protein (chicken, sirloin or fish) to the remaining quarter. Finish with a piece of fresh fruit."

    While I don't think the plate idea is too terrible, assuming you DON'T eat the whole-grain pasta, and I get that liquid sugar is sneaky as hell because you get even less of the "satiated" feel after all of the calories, seriously... the rest of the article is utter horse pucky. They also mention that Paula has cheat days once a week (rice and gravy, country-fried steak, butter bean soup and mac and cheese) and has "made healthy swaps" by eating whole-grain pasta "to reduce fat". That's supposedly how she has gotten leaner and made progress in her fight against diabetes.

    ARGH!!!
    I can kinda see what they meant by their discussion of how sugar doesnt "give" you diabetes. Sugar triggers a cascade of hormone reactions that eventually cause the diabetes. But the way that they worded it seems purposefully obtuse and leads one with the impression that sugar is still ok.

    It's like saying that bullets dont "give you" death. Its true, technically, but the connection between them is undeniable in any rational persons mind.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

    My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

    Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

  9. #5329
    Gravyboat's Avatar
    Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    It's like saying that bullets dont "give you" death. Its true, technically, but the connection between them is undeniable in any rational persons mind.
    I think that's actually a perfect analogy.

    _-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

  10. #5330
    smilingjustalittlebit's Avatar
    smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    409
    Posted a few minutes ago on a forum I use.

    "Been eating quorn this week, far healthier than meat and tastes the same/nicer in some cases."

    Now, I've looked at this, and considered a number of replies, but I can't quite put them across in a civil way. So, what would you say to this idiot? Person, obviously I meant person.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

    https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •