Page 529 of 838 FirstFirst ... 29429479519527528529530531539579629 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,290 of 8377

Thread: Funny CW moments page 529

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    While I agree that many people seem to have an amazing ability to avoid comprehending things they do not want to, this story is 100% false. This blog post Native American Indians Couldn't See Columbus's Ships Myth - debunked actually did the legwork to do research into the historical documents from the time to make the counter argument.

And when you think about it rationally, would it make sense for an animal to "not be able to see" something so large and new and possibly threatening in its environment? And even at the furthest stretch of the imagination, even if they didnt know that the structures in the water were ships that carried many more men and supplies than their own canoes, theyd certainly have seen things, like, you know, big fucking rocks in the water, in order to maneuver canoes around them, so certainly "large things in the water" would have been an area of comprehension.

The way I read this is more as a story that illustrates the way that we PERCEIVE information. We use confirmation bias ALL THE TIME. We tend to agree with information that supports our stance on something and discount information that contradicts it. But when someone whom you admire and/or respect provides you with information we are more likely to agree with it.

So. The respected indian sat and studied the waves and the water until he could see the ship. Then he explained the ship to his tribe.

Or I could say it this way.

Your best friend whose opinion you respect began thinking about diet. He noticed that when some people quit eating grains, sugar, and junk food they got healthier. He sat and studied the books, studies, and research. He read the blogs. He came to see the 'ship' of good food=good health. Then he explained this way of eating to you and it made sense. It no longer sounded like the newest fad diet to you but maybe something with some substance and you began to be able to see the 'ship' too.

Inksplat is offline Member
    Yeah, I totally wasn't suggesting that the story was true, lol. This thread just reminds me of it, is all I meant. Noctiluca hit it right on the head.

Though, in regards to the comment about an animal not seeing a threat.. that's actually very normal. If animals aren't familiar with something, they actually do not innately view it as threatening, unless its been bred into them. Its why all the mega fauna is extinct in the Americas, Australia, and Europe, and Asia. Animals in Africa evolved alongside people and their hunting techniques, so they evolved to fear humans. When humans spread out, they were able to hunt everything to extinction because they didn't know what the hell was going on, and in a lot of cases, just let us walk up and bash them in the head with rocks (the dodo bird is the modern example of this).
    SW: 324.6 ----- CW: 310
    Primal Journal

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inksplat View Post
    The stories of people seeing but totally not realizing reminds me of a story I read somewhere. Not that I believe the story, but its just funny, and makes you think.

Story is that when Columbus's ships pulled up in the new world, that the Native Americans couldn't see them, because they had never seen anything like it, and just couldn't comprehend what in the hell even the idea of a ship. So, essentially, the whole fleet was just invisible.

But one of the older men of the tribe noticed that the breaking of waves and such in the water wasn't right, so he sat on the shore for a couple of days, just staring, because he knew something was there. And then, suddenly, he could see them. And with someone they respected telling them to look, and giving them the description, the rest of the tribe was eventually able to see the ships as well.

Don't remember where I read it, but reading this thread does seem to make it seem plausible. :lol:
    Perhaps schizophrenics are simply people who see everything?
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    The way I read this is more as a story that illustrates the way that we PERCEIVE information. We use confirmation bias ALL THE TIME. We tend to agree with information that supports our stance on something and discount information that contradicts it. But when someone whom you admire and/or respect provides you with information we are more likely to agree with it.

So. The respected indian sat and studied the waves and the water until he could see the ship. Then he explained the ship to his tribe.

Or I could say it this way.

Your best friend whose opinion you respect began thinking about diet. He noticed that when some people quit eating grains, sugar, and junk food they got healthier. He sat and studied the books, studies, and research. He read the blogs. He came to see the 'ship' of good food=good health. Then he explained this way of eating to you and it made sense. It no longer sounded like the newest fad diet to you but maybe something with some substance and you began to be able to see the 'ship' too.

Ok, when worded that way, I can see what you mean about it being an abstract metaphor for the situation, and yes that's an interesting way to phrase it. The original story, though, is just so blind-blowingly patronizing and colonialist that I get irritated whenever someone tries to suggest its fact.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Perhaps schizophrenics are simply people who see everything?
    tell me, vhat do you see in zis picture?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    tell me, vhat do you see in zis picture?
    I see dead people.... You poor girl, having a heart attack while using a double dildo and then being found by your parents. Should've skipped the toys and eaten more meat.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    My boss has just stated that Coco-Cola will do a person no harm as part of a balanced diet.

I asked him what a balanced diet actually is, I'm yet to get a response.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I told my coworkers that my stoup had kale and heart in it, among other things. My coworker responded "organ meats can't be good for you, just look at the cholesterol levels. At least you're eating something healthy with it." I couldn't convince them that heart was just another muscle meat.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I posted a picture on Facebook that said "Keep Calm and Add Butter" (a Julia Child inspired spin-off of the "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster), and someone commented with, "Keep calm and add Earth Balance ".

I kept it civil with an, "Oh, I don't like the taste of that, and soybean oil gives me heartburn/joint aches etc." but I wanted to post all the pro-butter links in the world to their stupid veg*n head. I know them from another forum, and they know how I eat.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I told my coworkers that my stoup had kale and heart in it, among other things. My coworker responded "organ meats can't be good for you, just look at the cholesterol levels. At least you're eating something healthy with it." I couldn't convince them that heart was just another muscle meat.
    To be fair, beef heart (and I would guess heart in general) is about four times higher in cholesterol than other muscle meats. It's also higher in iron, CoQ10, and taurine. Definitely good for you!